Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Alok Pandey

Default Duplicate name exists on network

Hi

I have a* network mix OS* of* approx 30 machine. ( ie, OS as Xp, vista,
Linux all flavour).

I have a DNS and DHCP Services running on Linux box. Recently I added a
Win server 2000 box in the network and also* renamed* the FQDN of some
old box* connected with the same network.

Now when ever I try to access machine with Host name, it shows an error
message as duplicate name exists on your network. Whereas* I
can successful access the same machine by* IP, also the machine who's
host name are not renamed , are accessible by name. My new FQDN
contains 2 special character "_ " and "-".( eg* hostname is as :
Name_D1_Rhel5-64_IP.xx.com) whereas previous it was simple on the name
of mountain( eg everest.xx.com).

Now I am unable to figure out the cause of problem. Is it because of
new win server machine or dns or use of the special char or something
else, plz help.

Note : I have central anti virus system (kaspersky), which is installed
on Win Server 2000. But the client deployment fail because of this
duplicate name network problem.

Thanks

Alok

Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:24:50 +0530, "Alok Pandey" <alok.rhct@gmail.com>
said:
> Hi
> I have a network mix OS of approx 30 machine. ( ie, OS as Xp, vista,
> Linux all flavour).
> I have a DNS and DHCP Services running on Linux box. Recently I added a
> Win server 2000 box in the network and also renamed the FQDN of some
> old box connected with the same network.
> Now when ever I try to access machine with Host name, it shows an error
> message as *duplicate name exists on your network.* Whereas I can
> successful access the same machine by IP, also the machine who's host
> name are not renamed , are accessible by name. My new FQDN contains 2
> special character "_ " and "-".( eg hostname is as :
> Name_D1_Rhel5-64_IP.xx.com) whereas previous it was simple on the name
> of mountain( eg everest.xx.com).
>
> Now I am unable to figure out the cause of problem. Is it because of new
> win server machine or dns or use of the special char or something else,
> plz help.
>
> Note : I have central anti virus system (kaspersky), which is installed
> on Win Server 2000. But the client deployment fail because of this
> duplicate name network problem.
>
> Thanks
> Alok

Don't know if this is the only issue, but in newer versions of bind
underscores are generally not allowed in a hostname (RFC 952). If you
absolutely need to have a non conforming name you may be able to use the
"check-names" directive in your config file. You'll need to pass it a
few arguments (master ignore etc). I would recommend using a conforming
hostname.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Sujitkumar Shirkar

Hello Alok,

*

what is your exact new FQDN? is it "RAM_D1_Rhel5-64_192.168.1.41.xx.com" if yes then you need to remove IP address from it. as in DNS every "." is considered as one child domain. Also in your windwos DNS server check all host entries. is you have same IP with two different host names.* thesn rectify it

*

Sujit

o: alok.rhct@gmail.com; redhat-install-list@redhat.com
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:39:23 -0700
> CC:
> Subject: Re: Duplicate name exists on network
>

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:24:50 +0530, "Alok Pandey" <alok.rhct@gmail.com>
> said:
> > Hi
> > I have a network mix OS of approx 30 machine. ( ie, OS as Xp, vista,
> > Linux all flavour).
> > I have a DNS and DHCP Services running on Linux box. Recently I added a
> > Win server 2000 box in the network and also renamed the FQDN of some
> > old box connected with the same network.
> > Now when ever I try to access machine with Host name, it shows an error
> > message as *duplicate name exists on your network.* Whereas I can
> > successful access the same machine by IP, also the machine who's host
> > name are not renamed , are accessible by name. My new FQDN contains 2
> > special character "_ " and "-".( eg hostname is as :
> > Name_D1_Rhel5-64_IP.xx.com) whereas previous it was simple on the name
> > of mountain( eg everest.xx.com).
> >
> > Now I am unable to figure out the cause of problem. Is it because of new
> > win server machine or dns or use of the special char or something else,
> > plz help.
> >
> > Note : I have central anti virus system (kaspersky), which is installed
> > on Win Server 2000. But the client deployment fail because of this
> > duplicate name network problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alok
>
> Don't know if this is the only issue, but in newer versions of bind
> underscores are generally not allowed in a hostname (RFC 952). If you
> absolutely need to have a non conforming name you may be able to use the
> "check-names" directive in your config file. You'll need to pass it a
> few arguments (master ignore etc). I would recommend using a conforming
> hostname.

Detailed profiles 4 marriage! Only at Shaadi.com Try it!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Alok Pandey

My new FQDN is as :

rev-zone file:

118***** IN***** PTR**** snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118.in.xx.com.

119***** IN***** PTR**** dell119.in.xx.com.

120***** IN***** PTR**** ibasha_D1_XpSp2-64_120.in.xx.com.

121***** IN***** PTR**** dsingh_D1_XpSp2-64_121.in.xx.com.

122***** IN***** PTR**** ahiremath_D1_XpSp2-64_122.in.xx.com.

123***** IN***** PTR**** nlocal_T1_Fe7-64_123.in.xx.com.

124***** IN***** PTR**** nlocal_T1_Lan-I_124.in.xx.com.

125***** IN***** PTR**** aroy125.in.xx.com.

In-zone file:

sarora_D1_XpSp2-64_115********* IN A*** 192.168.0.115

silver_T1_Cnt-64_116*********** IN A*** 192.168.0.116

net-install**** IN A*********** 192.168.0.117

snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118********** IN A*** 192.168.0.118

dell119******** IN A*********** 192.168.0.119

ibasha_D1_XpSp2-64_120********* IN A*** 192.168.0.120

dsingh_D1_XpSp2-64_121********* IN A*** 192.168.0.121

ahiremath_D1_XpSp2-64_122****** IN A*** 192.168.0.122

nlocal_T1_Fe7-64_123*********** IN A*** 192.168.0.123

nlocal_T1_lan-I_124************ IN A*** 192.168.0.124

aroy125******** IN A*** 192.168.0.125

vksingh_D1_Fe7-64_126********** IN A*** 192.168.0.126

In detail in represented* as :

snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118.in.xx.com. = username_DestoptNum_OS-arch_ip

Any suggestion is welcome ...

Thanks

Alok

Sujitkumar Shirkar wrote:

Hello Alok,

*

Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:07 +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:
> My new FQDN is as :
> rev-zone file:
> 118 IN PTR snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118.in.xx.com.
> 119 IN PTR dell119.in.xx.com.
> 120 IN PTR ibasha_D1_XpSp2-64_120.in.xx.com.
> 121 IN PTR dsingh_D1_XpSp2-64_121.in.xx.com.
> 122 IN PTR ahiremath_D1_XpSp2-64_122.in.xx.com.
> 123 IN PTR nlocal_T1_Fe7-64_123.in.xx.com.
> 124 IN PTR nlocal_T1_Lan-I_124.in.xx.com.
> 125 IN PTR aroy125.in.xx.com.
> In-zone file:
> sarora_D1_XpSp2-64_115 IN A 192.168.0.115
> silver_T1_Cnt-64_116 IN A 192.168.0.116
> net-install IN A 192.168.0.117
> snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118 IN A 192.168.0.118
> dell119 IN A 192.168.0.119
> ibasha_D1_XpSp2-64_120 IN A 192.168.0.120
> dsingh_D1_XpSp2-64_121 IN A 192.168.0.121
> ahiremath_D1_XpSp2-64_122 IN A 192.168.0.122
> nlocal_T1_Fe7-64_123 IN A 192.168.0.123
> nlocal_T1_lan-I_124 IN A 192.168.0.124
> aroy125 IN A 192.168.0.125
> vksingh_D1_Fe7-64_126 IN A 192.168.0.126
>
> In detail in represented as :
> snarayan_D1_Ub-32_118.in.xx.com. = username_DestoptNum_OS-arch_ip

Do NOT use underscores in the host- or domain-names. That is in direct
violation of RFC standards.