-   -   Problems with RHEL5 Install (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/393233-problems-rhel5-install.html)

Tyler Pauly 06-30-2010 07:18 PM

Problems with RHEL5 Install

Hello,

I am attempting to install RHEL5 from the 6 CD set onto my home computer.

The components are: an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, an Intel i7 930 processor, some DDR3 ram and an Nvidia 480 GTX graphics card.

Upon install, the program asks for drivers.* I assume it is asking for my SATA controller drivers for my motherboard, but I am not sure.* In addition, I have no idea whether they exist, and if they do, if they are compatible with RHEL5.*

Is there a(n easy) way to figure this out?* I have not had luck with the drivers included on the RHEL disks. Feel free to let me know if I have not included enough information.

Thank you very much!

Tyler P.

Rick Stevens 06-30-2010 08:58 PM

Problems with RHEL5 Install

I am attempting to install RHEL5 from the 6 CD set onto my home computer.

The components are: an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, an Intel i7 930 processor,
some DDR3 ram and an Nvidia 480 GTX graphics card.

Upon install, the program asks for drivers. I assume it is asking for my
SATA controller drivers for my motherboard, but I am not sure. In addition,
I have no idea whether they exist, and if they do, if they are compatible
with RHEL5.

Is there a(n easy) way to figure this out? I have not had luck with the
drivers included on the RHEL disks. Feel free to let me know if I have not
included enough information.

Thank you very much!

If you have purchased RHEL5, then I'd try the normal support route.
They may have a solution for you. I know that board uses a Marvell
SATA controller and I'm just not sure how well supported it is on
kernels earlier than 2.6.20 or so (RHEL5 uses a 2.6.18 kernel).

Note also that the Marvell is a "fake RAID" (not a true hardware RAID).
If you have it set up in RAID mode, try taking it down to a non-RAID
configuration in the BIOS and try to install that way. If it works
like that, then you'll have to run barefoot (non-RAID) or stuff in
a second drive and set up a software RAID.

If not, RHEL5 is based on Fedora 6 (we're on Fedora 13 now), and SATA
support was somewhat sketchy back then. The latest release of RHEL5 is
5.5. If you got those CDs, you might have a better chance as 5.5 is
based on a later kernel than the original 5.0 and might have better
support.

If you have a chance, try downloading the CentOS 5.5 disks and try
them. CentOS is based on the source RPMs from Red Hat. At least,
you'll have an idea as to whether it'll work.

As a last resort, try downloading the Fedora 13 Live CD and boot that.
If it boots and you can install to your hard drive from there, then at
least you'll know that RHEL6 will probably support it out of the box
(rumor is that RHEL6 will be based on F13 eventually).

Sorry I can't help a heck of a lot more than that.

Tyler Pauly 06-30-2010 09:08 PM

Problems with RHEL5 Install

That helped plenty Rick, thanks!* Unfortunately, I can't take the normal support route.* I was able to obtain RHEL through my university's IT department; unfortunately, they are also my only avenue of support, and they are a bit lacking.

I might try out F13 and see how it works.* If that is a no-go, guess I'll wait until RHEL6.

Thanks!

Tyler

[...]

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting * * * * *ricks@nerd.com -

- AIM/Skype: therps2 * * * *ICQ: 22643734 * * * * * *Yahoo: origrps2 -

- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-

- * * * * * What is a "free" gift? *Aren't all gifts free? * * * * * -

redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

Rick Stevens 06-30-2010 09:58 PM

Problems with RHEL5 Install

That helped plenty Rick, thanks! Unfortunately, I can't take the normal
support route. I was able to obtain RHEL through my university's IT
department; unfortunately, they are also my only avenue of support, and they
are a bit lacking.

I might try out F13 and see how it works. If that is a no-go, guess I'll
wait until RHEL6.

Don't forget the CentOS 5.5 disk set too. I think that uses a later
kernel than RHEL5's distribution.

http://centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15

Other than badging (logos and the like), CentOS _is_ RHEL5...built from
the same source. It lags behind RHEL updates by a couple of days
usually, but that's all. And it's free, too!

Thanks!

Tyler

"Karl Pearson" 07-01-2010 02:10 AM

On Wed, June 30, 2010 3:08 pm, Tyler Pauly wrote:
> That helped plenty Rick, thanks! Unfortunately, I can't take the normal
> support route. I was able to obtain RHEL through my university's IT
> department; unfortunately, they are also my only avenue of support, and
> they
> are a bit lacking.
>
> I might try out F13 and see how it works. If that is a no-go, guess I'll
> wait until RHEL6.

If you are just installing RHELx because that's what your IT department
had, you might try downloading a different distribution. I'm thinking of
Linux Mint, which seems to support more out of the box than most other
distros I've seen. It is, however, a .deb-based release, so if you want a
.rpm-based release, go with Fedora. It's going to be pretty much as easy
to use as Mint, but might have a few more instability issues. Mint is
technically based on Ubuntu without the strict GNU license stance of
Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu.

That's my 2 bits, worth every cent you just paid me... ;-)

Karl

> Thanks!
>
> Tyler
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2010 12:18 PM, Tyler Pauly wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am attempting to install RHEL5 from the 6 CD set onto my home
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> The components are: an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, an Intel i7 930
>>> processor,
>>> some DDR3 ram and an Nvidia 480 GTX graphics card.
>>>
>>> Upon install, the program asks for drivers. I assume it is asking for
>>> my
>>> SATA controller drivers for my motherboard, but I am not sure. In
>>> addition,
>>> I have no idea whether they exist, and if they do, if they are
>>> compatible
>>> with RHEL5.
>>>
>>> Is there a(n easy) way to figure this out? I have not had luck with
>>> the
>>> drivers included on the RHEL disks. Feel free to let me know if I have
>>> not
>>> included enough information.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!
>>>

>> If you have purchased RHEL5, then I'd try the normal support route.
>> They may have a solution for you. I know that board uses a Marvell
>> SATA controller and I'm just not sure how well supported it is on
>> kernels earlier than 2.6.20 or so (RHEL5 uses a 2.6.18 kernel).
>>
>> Note also that the Marvell is a "fake RAID" (not a true hardware RAID).
>> If you have it set up in RAID mode, try taking it down to a non-RAID
>> configuration in the BIOS and try to install that way. If it works
>> like that, then you'll have to run barefoot (non-RAID) or stuff in
>> a second drive and set up a software RAID.
>>
>> If not, RHEL5 is based on Fedora 6 (we're on Fedora 13 now), and SATA
>> support was somewhat sketchy back then. The latest release of RHEL5 is
>> 5.5. If you got those CDs, you might have a better chance as 5.5 is
>> based on a later kernel than the original 5.0 and might have better
>> support.
>>
>> If you have a chance, try downloading the CentOS 5.5 disks and try
>> them. CentOS is based on the source RPMs from Red Hat. At least,
>> you'll have an idea as to whether it'll work.
>>
>> As a last resort, try downloading the Fedora 13 Live CD and boot that.
>> If it boots and you can install to your hard drive from there, then at
>> least you'll know that RHEL6 will probably support it out of the box
>> (rumor is that RHEL6 will be based on F13 eventually).
>>
>> Sorry I can't help a heck of a lot more than that.

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
--Benjamin Franklin
---
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---