FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
"Waldher, Travis R"
 
Default NIS domainame not holding after reboot

I’ve had a few machines, especially virtual ones for
some reason; that just don’t hold the domainname after a reboot.


*


I type:


*


domainname mydomain


*


and it’s set.* I edit /etc/sysconfig/network and add
NISDOMAIN=mydomain.


*


I reboot and I get (none) when I type in domainname.* Even
odder, if the machine changes NIS domains, it’s remembering the old
domain.


*


Has anyone seen this?







_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default NIS domainame not holding after reboot

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 11:08 -0800, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I’ve had a few machines, especially virtual ones for some reason; that
> just don’t hold the domainname after a reboot.
>
>
>
> I type:
>
>
>
> domainname mydomain
>
>
>
> and it’s set. I edit /etc/sysconfig/network and add
> NISDOMAIN=mydomain.
>
>
>
> I reboot and I get (none) when I type in domainname. Even odder, if
> the machine changes NIS domains, it’s remembering the old domain.

You have to bind to the NIS master of the new domain.

> Has anyone seen this?

The only time the NIS domain is set is if you have ypbind enabled (e.g.
"service ypbind on"). You can bury the "NISDOMAIN=whatever" in
/etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/ypbind or /etc/yp.conf.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- When in doubt, mumble. -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
"Waldher, Travis R"
 
Default NIS domainame not holding after reboot

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Stevens [mailto:rstevens@internap.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:13 PM
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> Subject: Re: NIS domainame not holding after reboot
>
> >
> > I reboot and I get (none) when I type in domainname. Even odder, if
> > the machine changes NIS domains, it’s remembering the old domain.
>
> You have to bind to the NIS master of the new domain.
>
> > Has anyone seen this?
>
> The only time the NIS domain is set is if you have ypbind enabled (e.g.
> "service ypbind on"). You can bury the "NISDOMAIN=whatever" in
> /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/ypbind or /etc/yp.conf.
>

Ok, this makes sense. I figured that even if ypbind wasn't enabled the nis domainname would still be set.

A side question since I've seen this stated. Supposedly on a client /etc/sysconfig/network doesn't need the NISDOMAIN=<domainname> entry, just /etc/yp.conf is adequate.

I haven't found that to be true, is it supposed to be true?

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default NIS domainame not holding after reboot

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:39 -0800, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Rick Stevens [mailto:rstevens@internap.com]
> > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:13 PM
> > To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> > Subject: Re: NIS domainame not holding after reboot
> >
> > >
> > > I reboot and I get (none) when I type in domainname. Even odder, if
> > > the machine changes NIS domains, it’s remembering the old domain.
> >
> > You have to bind to the NIS master of the new domain.
> >
> > > Has anyone seen this?
> >
> > The only time the NIS domain is set is if you have ypbind enabled (e.g.
> > "service ypbind on"). You can bury the "NISDOMAIN=whatever" in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/ypbind or /etc/yp.conf.
> >
>
> Ok, this makes sense. I figured that even if ypbind wasn't enabled the nis domainname would still be set.
>
> A side question since I've seen this stated. Supposedly on a client /etc/sysconfig/network doesn't need the NISDOMAIN=<domainname> entry, just /etc/yp.conf is adequate.
>
> I haven't found that to be true, is it supposed to be true?

It should be. If NISDOMAIN isn't set in /etc/sysconfig/network or
/etc/sysconfig/ypbind, then the ypbind script looks for it by scanning
/etc/yp.conf for an uncommented line beginning with "domain" (it can be
any of the three "domain"-type lines). A client, by definition, has to
run ypbind.

Have a looksee at /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind for details.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org