-   -   How to load the driver update disk from local dir of initrd.img? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/381768-how-load-driver-update-disk-local-dir-initrd-img.html)

Xiao Peng Wang 06-05-2010 04:40 AM

How to load the driver update disk from local dir of initrd.img?

Hi folks,

I am trying to make my anaconda/kickstart can load some specific drivers (for network or storage devices) before the installation get start. All the drivers are in driver update disk format. For the driver disk of storage, I can set the entry 'driverdisk --source=http:xxx' in the kickstart.conf, then anaconda can load it automatically from http server.

But how to handle the driver for network device? Since in this time the network interface card still can not work, anaconda can NOT access the http server. Then my initiated idea is to insert the driver update disk of NIC into the initrd.img and then tell the anaconda to get the driver disk from local directory.

For example:

I copy the driver disk my.img to the /cum_driver/mm.img in the initrd and add the kernel parameter like "dd=/cum_driver/mm.img".

The expected result is the driver in the mm.img will be loaded into the system, but in fact, the parameter "dd=/cum_driver/mm.img" could not be recognized. Any ideas about how to load the driver disk from local directory? Thank you.

By the way, I known a worked solution is to insert the NIC driver modules into the /modules/modules.cgz of the initrd.img. But is's a little hard to take the driver from driver disk and insert them into the /modules/modules.cgz

Thanks

Best Regards

Wang Xiaopeng (王晓朋)

IBM China System Technology Laboratory