-   -   Printer Stopped Working (SOLVED) (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/324636-printer-stopped-working-solved.html)

Micros50 02-11-2010 08:05 PM

Printer Stopped Working (SOLVED)

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:01 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 10:40 AM, Micros50 wrote:

> >> First, try to ping your printer, both by name and by IP address. If
> >> you can ping via IP but not name, then you may be affected by:
> >>
> >> There was an update to both F11 and F12 that can affect you if you are
> >> running BIND (named) on your machine. It has to do with the dnssec-conf
> >> RPM. Do an "rpm -q dnssec-conf". If you get a result that shows either
> >>
> >> 1.21-3.fc11
> >> 1.21-7.fc12
> >>
> >> then "yum downgrade dnssec-conf" and then "service named restart".
> >> Details are here:
> >>

> > Okay... I can ping the printer via it's ip address. I cannot ping by
> > name and, I am not running bind nor is dnssec-conf installed. This
> > problem is also network wide because none of my machines can print
> > anything anymore. I still get the message
> >
> > "paused /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"
> >
> > And CUPS administration won't let me unpause the printer nor carry out
> > any administrative function.
>
> I can only think of two possibilities, a buggered hpijs RPM or a
> conflict in the hplip stuff (if installed). Make sure they're updated.
>
> Try to force an unpause via:
>
> cupsenable [printername]
> cupsaccept [printername]

Okay, I seemed to have solved the problem, although I am still not
certain what the cause of the problem was, at least I got bnetwork
printing up and running again.

What I did was to open the CUPS configuration dialog and delete the
printer. Then I let CUPS discover what printers I have on the network.
Then I re-installed the printer and viola... it is printing again. I had
to do this on each computer and so far...(knock on wood) everything
seems to be back to normal.

I have no idea why this happened. In any event I want to thank Rick &
Ted for the help and suggestions which I have made note of in the event
of any future printing problems.

meanwhile I'll chalk this one up as some sort of unidentified glitch.

Ciao

John