Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Micros50

Default Printer Stopped Working

Hello,

I have a Hewlett Packard B209 printer connected via wireless ethernet to
my LAN. For the past several months everything was working fine. At
l;east 3 different computers running Fedora 11 and 12 had no problems
seeing the networked printer and printing to it.

Then all of a sudden everything went kaputz. I think it happened after a
recent routine upgrade via YUM. All of a sudden none of my computers can
access the printer. It seems to show up as a valid networked printer
but, I cannot get it to print. If I send a document to the printer I get
the following message.

"/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"

I cannot even access any administrative functions top pause or restart
the printer, nor can I print a test page. I disabled my firewall and
SELinux but unto no avail. It just sits there dumb, like it's there but
not there. Up to a couple days ago it was working flawlessly.

I attached a copy of my cupsd.conf file. If any further diagnostics are
needed I can furnish those as well.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Ciao

John

MaxLogSize 1m
LogLevel warn
SystemGroup sys root
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
# Allow shared printing...
Order allow,deny
Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
# Restrict access to the admin pages...
Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
# Restrict access to the configuration files...
Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
[...]
BrowseWebIF Yes

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Ted Potter

can you ping the printer ?

[...]

redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

Ted Potter
tpotter@techmarin.com
"fortuna est qua paratus opportunus per vicis"

Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

First, try to ping your printer, both by name and by IP address. If
you can ping via IP but not name, then you may be affected by:

There was an update to both F11 and F12 that can affect you if you are
running BIND (named) on your machine. It has to do with the dnssec-conf
RPM. Do an "rpm -q dnssec-conf". If you get a result that shows either

1.21-3.fc11
1.21-7.fc12

then "yum downgrade dnssec-conf" and then "service named restart".
Details are here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-February/366334.html

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Micros50

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 15:51 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 12:38 PM, Micros50 wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Hewlett Packard B209 printer connected via wireless ethernet to
> > my LAN. For the past several months everything was working fine. At
> > l;east 3 different computers running Fedora 11 and 12 had no problems
> > seeing the networked printer and printing to it.
> >
> > Then all of a sudden everything went kaputz. I think it happened after a
> > recent routine upgrade via YUM. All of a sudden none of my computers can
> > access the printer. It seems to show up as a valid networked printer
> > but, I cannot get it to print. If I send a document to the printer I get
> > the following message.
> >
> > "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"
> >
> > I cannot even access any administrative functions top pause or restart
> > the printer, nor can I print a test page. I disabled my firewall and
> > SELinux but unto no avail. It just sits there dumb, like it's there but
> > not there. Up to a couple days ago it was working flawlessly.
> >
> > I attached a copy of my cupsd.conf file. If any further diagnostics are
> > needed I can furnish those as well.
> >
> > Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance...
>
> First, try to ping your printer, both by name and by IP address. If
> you can ping via IP but not name, then you may be affected by:
>
> There was an update to both F11 and F12 that can affect you if you are
> running BIND (named) on your machine. It has to do with the dnssec-conf
> RPM. Do an "rpm -q dnssec-conf". If you get a result that shows either
>
> 1.21-3.fc11
> 1.21-7.fc12
>
> then "yum downgrade dnssec-conf" and then "service named restart".
> Details are here:

Okay... I can ping the printer via it's ip address. I cannot ping by
name and, I am not running bind nor is dnssec-conf installed. This
problem is also network wide because none of my machines can print
anything anymore. I still get the message

"paused /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"

And CUPS administration won't let me unpause the printer nor carry out

Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Ted Potter

can not tell from the specs but most hp can be access via a web interface.Try to use the ip address and see if you can get to the printer via a browser.
Also if possible can you get the printer to print out it's configuration ? I've
seen other printers "lose" the network configuration.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

I can only think of two possibilities, a buggered hpijs RPM or a
conflict in the hplip stuff (if installed). Make sure they're updated.

Try to force an unpause via:

cupsenable [printername]
cupsaccept [printername]