Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Ronald Mccarty

Default System Only Recognizing 256 MB Ram

Hey,

Hope someone can give me some help here...

I have a Dell 1850 with 4 X 1 GB memory sticks that the linux kernel is only recognizing 256 MB...well actually 249 it's reporting:

[root@asvhyp1 proc]# free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 249 98 150 0 8 64
-/+ buffers/cache: 24 224
Swap: 2047 0 2047

I originally thought it was a Xen / Kernel issue; however, booting the system to a non zen kernel reports the same issue. (dmesg is reporting 256 MB low mem, and no high)

It seems like I saw something years ago when getting 32-bit systems to see 4 GB was more magic than science, but I'm stumped.

The Dell BIOS is showing the 4 GB.

If you don't have any insight, maybe some tips on helpful commands would be useful.

Thanks,

--ron

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Rick Stevens

Hope someone can give me some help here...

I have a Dell 1850 with 4 X 1 GB memory sticks that the linux kernel is only recognizing 256 MB...well actually 249 it's reporting:

[root@asvhyp1 proc]# free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 249 98 150 0 8 64
-/+ buffers/cache: 24 224
Swap: 2047 0 2047

I originally thought it was a Xen / Kernel issue; however, booting the system to a non zen kernel reports the same issue. (dmesg is reporting 256 MB low mem, and no high)

It seems like I saw something years ago when getting 32-bit systems to see 4 GB was more magic than science, but I'm stumped.

The Dell BIOS is showing the 4 GB.

If you don't have any insight, maybe some tips on helpful commands would be useful.

We need to know what RHEL version you're running.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Ronald Mccarty

Yes indeed. RHEL 5.4. 5.3 on this same system did not have the issue. Brand new install...

--ron

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM
"Bret"

The bios on Dell 1850 has a OS install setting which
can cause this.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Ronald Mccarty

Bret,

I appreciate it! I believe that is indeed the issue...the batter was acting up on the system, and it lost some bios settings for the raid controller as well...

--ron

Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Rick Stevens

The bios on Dell 1850 has a OS install setting which
can cause this.

That was my next idea. Nice catch, Bret.