Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
G Thiou

Default Help :Contents of Redhat-install-list digest..

Hi !!!
I want to passe RHCE next year.*I just bought Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop, Basic subscription (w/ Web Support).
I want to understand the difference between the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.4 Server and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4
Desktop. I downloaded the ISO images for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Desktop (v. 5 for 32-bit x86). Is there a difference in what channels
and packages you can download from Red Hat Network depending on whether
you have the "Server" or the "Desktop" subscription? What other differences are there between these two types of subscriptions compared to the package server. if I compile the package server, would I have any updates? what differences there are between the two iso Desktop and Server?

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Rick Stevens

I want to passe RHCE next year.*I just bought Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop, Basic subscription (w/ Web Support).
I want to understand the difference between the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.4 Server and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4
Desktop. I downloaded the ISO images for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Desktop (v. 5 for 32-bit x86). Is there a difference in what channels
and packages you can download from Red Hat Network depending on whether
you have the "Server" or the "Desktop" subscription? What other differences are there between these two types of subscriptions compared to the package server. if I compile the package server, would I have any updates? what differences there are between the two iso Desktop and Server?

Thanks.

There is a difference between Desktop and Server, and it's fairly well delineated on the Red Hat website.

I haven't looked myself recently, but IIRC, the primary difference is the amount of memory and the maximum number of CPU cores the kernel can support.* The set of applications is also defined a bit more (desktop has access to most of the GUI-based apps, server doesn't; server has access to things such as cluster software and some server-centric applications that don't make a ton of sense on a desktop).

That being said, I think you can morph a desktop into a server and vice-versa as far as apps are concerned.* The kernel restrictions require a bit more, uhm, ingenuity, to get around (e.g., get the kernel source RPM and build your own kernel).