-   -   localhost name and fqdn (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/286825-localhost-name-fqdn.html)

"D. Merle Skinner" 11-27-2009 01:05 AM

localhost name and fqdn

We have a mail server inside of our firewall and a
spam filter outside of our firewall that we use to handle all of our mail
needs.* The Spam filter is named mailman.champion.org as a localhost and as
a fqdn.*
*
We have had a few problems with our mailserver
being blacklisted and in doing the research we have found that the mail sever
inside the firewall that receives the incoming mail from the spam server and
delvers it... as well as sends our mail.. also has a localhost name of mailman
and does not have a fqdn.*
*
Can you tell me how to change a localhost name and
also to add it as a fqdn?* An any issues inside that server that might mean
as we do that.*
*
I am a beginner and need to have a step by step
command line tutorial.. any help?

"Karl Pearson" 11-27-2009 01:29 AM

localhost name and fqdn

On Thu, November 26, 2009 7:05 pm, D. Merle Skinner wrote:
> We have a mail server inside of our firewall and a spam filter outside
> of our firewall that we use to handle all of our mail needs. The Spam
> filter is named mailman.champion.org as a localhost and as a fqdn.
>
> We have had a few problems with our mailserver being blacklisted and in
> doing the research we have found that the mail sever inside the firewall
> that receives the incoming mail from the spam server and delvers it...
> as well as sends our mail.. also has a localhost name of mailman and
> does not have a fqdn.
>
> Can you tell me how to change a localhost name and also to add it as a
> fqdn? An any issues inside that server that might mean as we do that.
>
> I am a beginner and need to have a step by step command line tutorial..
> any help?

I was once a beginner, and had to figure most of this out myself. Doing
it that way caused me to make a few mistakes, but I also learned and
kept learning.

The principle behind what you are trying to accomplish is fairly simple.
If you have your outside spam server with a fqdn, it's pretty easy to
just add a subdomain to your internal mail server. You could just name
it something like mail.champion.org, or smtp.champion.org. You just need
to have that name in your DNS server's files so it's recognized.

You will need to setup reverse DNS for the new sub-domain name of your
mail server because if it is not working correctly it will produce major
problems as well.

The actual commands to do all this depends on your DNS setup and your
ISP, which is required to setup reverse DNS.

Karl

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
--Benjamin Franklin
---
Prayer for Obama, et al: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ps/109/8#8 (~)
---

Rick Stevens 11-27-2009 05:47 PM

localhost name and fqdn

We have a mail server inside of our firewall and a spam filter outside
of our firewall that we use to handle all of our mail needs. The Spam
filter is named mailman.champion.org as a localhost and as a fqdn.
We have had a few problems with our mailserver being blacklisted and in
doing the research we have found that the mail sever inside the firewall
that receives the incoming mail from the spam server and delvers it...
as well as sends our mail.. also has a localhost name of mailman and
does not have a fqdn.
Can you tell me how to change a localhost name and also to add it as a
fqdn? An any issues inside that server that might mean as we do that.
I am a beginner and need to have a step by step command line tutorial..
any help?

The server name itself is set inside the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=my.FQDN.hostname <--- HOSTNAME SET HERE
GATEWAY=your.default.gateway.ipaddr

In my case:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=prophead.hci.com
GATEWAY=192.168.1.254

That's read at boot time when the network is set up. If you want to
set the hostname now, then run (as the root user):

hostname prophead.hci.com

That sets it immediately. It won't show up in your command prompts
until you log out and log back in as the host bit of the prompt is
read when the shell's started.