Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Bob McClure Jr

Default problem to start x server after installation can't open display vidio card RIVA128

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 01:51:45PM -0700, Ml Cole wrote:
> I'm running rh 4.2 on Micron PC.
> Installation was success.
> But got an error when starting X server (display was
> *not properly configured...)
> running system-config-display for card RIVA128 did not help!
> *
> Any suggestion?
> *
> TIA

Did it correctly recognize your video card or did you have to tell it
what it was?

Is that a pretty recent video card? (Sorry, I'm not much of a hardware
maven.)

Did it correctly recognize your monitor or did you have to tell it
what it was?

Actually RHEL 4.2 is a bit long in the tooth and may not adequately
support your card. And unless you purchase(d) support for it, you
won't be able to get updates, which are a must. I'd recommend you
download and install CentOS 5(.2),

http://www.centos.org/

which is a free repackaging of RHEL 5(.2), for which you can get free
updates and a number of extras.

<sidebar>
My first installation of Red Hat was v4.2 (the old series that went
from 1 to 9, before Fedora), back when the whole thing was on one CD.
I had migrated from Slackware. I think I still have the box and CD.
Suppose that will be a collector's item someday? Before I die?
</sidebar>

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com