Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
"Brenda Radford"

Default New Monitor

I got a new monitor and I have been using it with my Windows
box, but today I tried to hook it up to my Red Hat box with no luck. What do I
have to do to get the monitor working with Red Hat?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:56:15PM -0500, Brenda Radford wrote:
> I got a new monitor and I have been using it with my Windows box, but today
> I tried to hook it up to my Red Hat box with no luck. What do I have to do
> to get the monitor working with Red Hat?

I presume you see most of the booting process and when it finishes
booting, you get a blank or badly garbled screen. At that point do a
Ctrl-Alt-F1. That should put you in a text screen with a login
prompt. Log in as root. Then run

system-config-display

It should figure out what your monitor is and come up with an
acceptable set of choices for resolution, defaulting to the highest
available.

If the best it can come up with is 800x600, then it probably can't
figure out what your monitor is. In that case, click on the
"Hardware" tab. If, for monitor, it says "unknown", hit the
"Configure" button to hand-enter either your monitor make and model,
or the best description you can find like "Generic LCD 1024x768".

If everything is fine, hit OK to exit back to the text mode. Then hit
Ctrl-D to terminate the login. Then hit Alt-F7 to return to what
should be the GUI. If it's still blank or blitzed, hit
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server, or, if worse comes to
worst, reboot.

Let us know if that doesn't do it.

> Thanks in advance

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
"Brenda Radford"

I think I am in trouble already because I am top posting, but blame it on
Windows.

When I turn the Red Hat box on with the new monitor hooked up, I get the
motherboard splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I do not see any
of the text I am supposed to see when the computer is booting up.

Does that change your answer of what to try to do? I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 with
no results on the screen.

I should have given more detail when I asked the question.

Thanks, Bob, what do I do now?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:56:15PM -0500, Brenda Radford wrote:
> I got a new monitor and I have been using it with my Windows box, but
today
> I tried to hook it up to my Red Hat box with no luck. What do I have to do
> to get the monitor working with Red Hat?

I presume you see most of the booting process and when it finishes
booting, you get a blank or badly garbled screen. At that point do a
Ctrl-Alt-F1. That should put you in a text screen with a login
prompt. Log in as root. Then run

system-config-display

It should figure out what your monitor is and come up with an
acceptable set of choices for resolution, defaulting to the highest
available.

If the best it can come up with is 800x600, then it probably can't
figure out what your monitor is. In that case, click on the
"Hardware" tab. If, for monitor, it says "unknown", hit the
"Configure" button to hand-enter either your monitor make and model,
or the best description you can find like "Generic LCD 1024x768".

If everything is fine, hit OK to exit back to the text mode. Then hit
Ctrl-D to terminate the login. Then hit Alt-F7 to return to what
should be the GUI. If it's still blank or blitzed, hit
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server, or, if worse comes to
worst, reboot.

Let us know if that doesn't do it.

> Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
john maclean

2009/2/24 Brenda Radford <brkittycat@verizon.net>:
> I think I am in trouble already because I am top posting, but blame it on
> Windows.
>
> When I turn the Red Hat box on with the new monitor hooked up, I get the
> motherboard splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I do not see any
> of the text I am supposed to see when the computer is booting up.
>
> Does that change your answer of what to try to do? I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 with
> no results on the screen.
>
> I should have given more detail when I asked the question.
>
> Thanks, Bob, what do I do now?

Silly question but do you have another monitor that you could hook up
to this box just to confirm that it can send ouput to "something"?

--
John Maclean
07739 171 531

Timezone: GMT

Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Ted Potter

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM, john maclean <jayeola@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/2/24 Brenda Radford <brkittycat@verizon.net>:

> I think I am in trouble already because I am top posting, but blame it on

> Windows.

> When I turn the Red Hat box on with the new monitor hooked up, I get the

> motherboard splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I do not see any

> of the text I am supposed to see when the computer is booting up.

> Does that change your answer of what to try to do? I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 with

> no results on the screen.

> I should have given more detail when I asked the question.

> Thanks, Bob, what do I do now?

sounds more like a DOA to me. What leads you to think the OS is loading ?

*

tpotter@techmarin.com
Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it. - Albert Einstein

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Rick Stevens

Brenda Radford wrote:

I think I am in trouble already because I am top posting, but blame it on
Windows.

When I turn the Red Hat box on with the new monitor hooked up, I get the
motherboard splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I do not see any
of the text I am supposed to see when the computer is booting up.

Does that change your answer of what to try to do? I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 with
no results on the screen.

I should have given more detail when I asked the question.

We need a bit more data:
What version of Red Hat are you running?
What monitor is it? (make and model)

Try booting in text only mode and see if it comes up. If you don't know
how to do that, let us know, but also tell us the info above.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
"Karl Pearson"

On Mon, February 23, 2009 6:03 pm, Ted Potter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM, john maclean <jayeola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/24 Brenda Radford <brkittycat@verizon.net>:
>> > I think I am in trouble already because I am top posting, but blame
>> it on
>> > Windows.
>> >
>> > When I turn the Red Hat box on with the new monitor hooked up, I get
>> the
>> > motherboard splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I do not
>> see
>> any
>> > of the text I am supposed to see when the computer is booting up.
>> >
>> > Does that change your answer of what to try to do? I tried
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1
>> with
>> > no results on the screen.
>> >
>> > I should have given more detail when I asked the question.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Bob, what do I do now?
>>

> sounds more like a DOA to me. What leads you to think the OS is loading
> ?

Nope, sounds like the video card has 2 outputs and it's on the wrong
one. Just a guess. I've seen hardware output go to one port, and OS
output go to the other one a couple times. Usually on ATI cards,
however. (love nVidia, personally)

Karl

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
"Brenda Radford"

I am running RHEL AS 4 U5.
It is an Acer H213H new-fangled monitor (it's huge).
The video card is an ATI Radeon 9250.
I have tried hooking it up with a VGA cable and a DVI cable. It made no
difference.

I tried hooking it up to a VGA monitor. The floppy disk light came on and
stayed on, so I unplugged the floppy drive and disabled it in the BIOS.
I got some text display on the VGA monitor related to the BIOS only. No Red
Hat text of any kind

I do not know how to boot up in text only mode. You will have to tell me how
to do that

I hope it is not DOA. It was working a couple of months ago. I did not have
the money to renew my Red Hat Academic subscription until today, and I was
hoping to get the box updated.

Thanks to all you guys; I hope I answered all your questions. I love this
install list.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Bob McClure Jr

As for top posting, I don't think you have to start your reply where
MS leaves your cursor. Just arrow down to where you want to insert a
reply, open up a line and start typing there. See also

http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/bottom-posting.html

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:42:24PM -0500, Brenda Radford wrote:
> I am running RHEL AS 4 U5.
> It is an Acer H213H new-fangled monitor (it's huge).
> The video card is an ATI Radeon 9250.
> I have tried hooking it up with a VGA cable and a DVI cable. It made no
> difference.
>
> I tried hooking it up to a VGA monitor. The floppy disk light came on and
> stayed on, so I unplugged the floppy drive and disabled it in the BIOS.
> I got some text display on the VGA monitor related to the BIOS only. No Red
> Hat text of any kind

Sounds like the hard drive or memory is not coming up. Does the
machine do a single beep shortly after reset or power-on? If not,
something's failing the POST (power-on self test). Power it off and
get inside the box and pull and reseat memory sticks and any add-on
cards.

If it does beep, then POST is good. Hit Del or whatever is prescribed
to get into the BIOS after the beep. Does the BIOS recognize the hard
drive? If not, power down, open it up, and pull and reseat the cables
that connect the hard drive(s) to the motherboard.

Let us know how far you get.

> I do not know how to boot up in text only mode. You will have to tell me how
> to do that
>
> I hope it is not DOA. It was working a couple of months ago. I did not have
> the money to renew my Red Hat Academic subscription until today, and I was
> hoping to get the box updated.
>
> Thanks to all you guys; I hope I answered all your questions. I love this
> install list.

Cheers,