Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Rick Stevens

Default New Monitor

Brenda Radford wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:04 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: New Monitor

(bunch of stuff snipped)
(Brenda said

fdisk -l

Device boot start end ID system

/dev/hde1 * 1 13 83 Linux
/dev/hde2 14 9729 8e Linux LVM

lvscan

inactive /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 [72.62GB] inherit
inactive /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 [1.75GB] inherit

e2fsck /dev/<vgname>/<lvname>
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
I got this error message for both:

No such file or directory while trying to open
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 file
system (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is
corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
E2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Linux rescue gave me this:
You don't have any Linux partitions.

The chroot /mnt/sysimage
And cat /etc/fstab also failed. No such file or directory

Nothing wonderful happened when it rebooted.

Now what do I do? Do I have to start over with a fresh install?
This reminds me of a blue screen in Windows. I had one of those last
January.

Thanks,
Brenda

Bob or Rick may have a different take. I say if you have nothing to lose
then why not do a fresh install. Still in reviewing this post it seems

some

part of the file systems is hosed. If a recovery option exists, as a
tech-guy
I would pursue it just for the learning experience. From a sys admin point
of
view with the goal of having a running box do a fresh install. Assuming no
data or apps are needed from the existing install.

I'd tend to agree. There's something very odd here. The fdisk -l shows
Linux partitions on /dev/hde? You'd have to have at least five IDE
drives to get out there, and Linux now treats all drives as SCSI so they
should show up as /dev/sde (not /dev/hde) with any fairly recent kernel.

You could, theoretically, do an "fsck /dev/hde1" as it's a regular
partition with a filesystem on it. Do NOT fsck /dev/hde2 as that's an
LVM volume.

The rescue disk should have found that stuff and activated your volume
groups. You can try it again by going into rescue mode and entering
"vgchange -ay" to activate the volume groups.

Going back to the initial problem, a message such as "FS: can't find
ext 3 filesystem on dev dm-0" smells more like we have a software RAID
here and it somehow is degraded or the RAID modules aren't loaded in the
initrd image. A device such as dm-0 is a software RAID volume.

Brenda, was this configured on a software RAID?

No RAID configuration. This box has four hard drives in it, but they are not
cabled.

How do you mean? No data cables or no power cables? If they still have
data cables but no power cables, that's bad and they can hang the bus.

Tell you what, can you give us a full rundown on the system? Things
like CPU type (32- or 64-bit), amount of RAM, video card type, numbers
and types of drives, how they're connected and what you think you have
on them now, any external devices (USB, etc.) and which operating
systems you're trying to work with.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
"Brenda Radford"

> [...]
>> ext 3 filesystem on dev dm-0" smells more like we have a software RAID
>> here and it somehow is degraded or the RAID modules aren't loaded in the
>> initrd image. A device such as dm-0 is a software RAID volume.
>>
>> Brenda, was this configured on a software RAID?
>

> No RAID configuration. This box has four hard drives in it, but they are
not
> cabled.

How do you mean? No data cables or no power cables? If they still have
data cables but no power cables, that's bad and they can hang the bus.

Tell you what, can you give us a full rundown on the system? Things
like CPU type (32- or 64-bit), amount of RAM, video card type, numbers
and types of drives, how they're connected and what you think you have
on them now, any external devices (USB, etc.) and which operating
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer ricks@nerd.com -
- -
- Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me? -

No data cables AND no power cables. They are just in the case. They were not
connected when I did the install, I do not think.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
"Brenda Radford"