-   -   Procmail can't create mailbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/201838-procmail-cant-create-mailbox.html)

Bob McClure 11-29-2008 12:24 AM

Procmail can't create mailbox

Okay, this is driving me nuts. Procmail can't create a mailbox for a
new user. This has come up on at least four servers I manage - FC5,
FC6, CentOS 5.2, and now RedHat 5.2. They are all using Postfix and
procmail to accept and deliver mail. All but one involve
"bootlegging" in the users by copying over the normal users' passwd,
shadow, group, and gshadow entries, as well as their home directories
and/or the mail spool (/var/spool/mail). In the most recent case
(RHEL 5), the /var/spool/mail directory is stock except that I created
an LVM device and transferred /var/spool contents to it and then
mounted it on /var/spool. The permissions are right out of the box:

drwxrwxr-x 2 root mail 4096 Nov 28 04:02 /var/spool/mail

I've done a web search and found nothing useful. My solution in each
case has been to make /var/spool/mail world writable, and, in at least
one case, added the sticky bit, to wit:

drwxrwxrwt 3 root mail 20480 Nov 28 16:19 /var/spool/mail

It works, but it's not the way it's supposed to work out of the box.
Selinux is disabled on all machines. What am I missing?

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

"Mark Corsi" 11-29-2008 03:03 AM

Procmail can't create mailbox

Not what you will want to hear, but...

Use Sendmail. Older, more stable, runs 80% of all mail servers.

Never ceases to amaze me when people always try to make a better widget than
one that works nearly perfectly.

Bob McClure Jr 11-29-2008 11:51 AM

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:03:10PM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> Not what you will want to hear, but...
>
> Use Sendmail. Older, more stable, runs 80% of all mail servers.

Well, ubiquity does not make superiority. Note that Windows runs a
similar percentage of PCs. You wouldn't suggest that I go back to
that, would you?

> Never ceases to amaze me when people always try to make a better widget than
> one that works nearly perfectly.

I barely got the hang of configuring sendmail when it was a single
daemon. When it went to two daemons, I never figured out which config
items went in which daemon's config. Postfix is much easier to figure
out, and IMHO more flexible.

Note also that I think procmail is the problem, not postfix.

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government
will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)

"Mark Corsi" 11-29-2008 12:05 PM

Procmail can't create mailbox

Sorry Bob. My response was a bit 'tongue-in-cheek'. Late at night and one
too many beers.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:03:10PM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> Not what you will want to hear, but...
>
> Use Sendmail. Older, more stable, runs 80% of all mail servers.

Well, ubiquity does not make superiority. Note that Windows runs a
similar percentage of PCs. You wouldn't suggest that I go back to
that, would you?

> Never ceases to amaze me when people always try to make a better widget
than
> one that works nearly perfectly.

I barely got the hang of configuring sendmail when it was a single
daemon. When it went to two daemons, I never figured out which config
items went in which daemon's config. Postfix is much easier to figure
out, and IMHO more flexible.

Note also that I think procmail is the problem, not postfix.

Cheers,

"Mark Corsi" 11-29-2008 12:08 PM

Procmail can't create mailbox

One suggestion, rather than using permissions straight out of box. Try
setting the permissions to 777 (temporarily) to see if it is a permission
based issue.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:03:10PM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> Not what you will want to hear, but...
>
> Use Sendmail. Older, more stable, runs 80% of all mail servers.

Well, ubiquity does not make superiority. Note that Windows runs a
similar percentage of PCs. You wouldn't suggest that I go back to
that, would you?

> Never ceases to amaze me when people always try to make a better widget
than
> one that works nearly perfectly.

I barely got the hang of configuring sendmail when it was a single
daemon. When it went to two daemons, I never figured out which config
items went in which daemon's config. Postfix is much easier to figure
out, and IMHO more flexible.

Note also that I think procmail is the problem, not postfix.

Cheers,

Bob McClure Jr 11-29-2008 12:34 PM

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:05:55AM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> Sorry Bob. My response was a bit 'tongue-in-cheek'. Late at night and one
> too many beers.

Not a problem. Been there, done that.

Cheers,

Bob McClure Jr 11-29-2008 12:36 PM

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:08:54AM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> One suggestion, rather than using permissions straight out of box. Try
> setting the permissions to 777 (temporarily) to see if it is a permission
> based issue.

Yep, did that. It works, but that's not the way it's supposed to
work. That's my interim dodge until I find The Right Solution(tm).

Cheers,

"Mark Corsi" 11-29-2008 01:17 PM

Procmail can't create mailbox

Ok - if that works then back the permissions off slowly to figure out what
that folder sees the process as.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:08:54AM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> One suggestion, rather than using permissions straight out of box. Try
> setting the permissions to 777 (temporarily) to see if it is a permission
> based issue.

Yep, did that. It works, but that's not the way it's supposed to
work. That's my interim dodge until I find The Right Solution(tm).

Cheers,

"Mark Corsi" 11-29-2008 01:28 PM

Procmail can't create mailbox

My guess is that the server is seeing the process as 'other'. This leaves
two solutions. One is to start the process with sudo so it starts as root. I
would hazard a guess that this would open up an unexpected security hole
since this is a mail process. The other solution is to make the process
owner part of the group that owns that folder and make the folder group
writable. Pretty sure the second solution will maintain security while
accomplishing your goal.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:08:54AM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> One suggestion, rather than using permissions straight out of box. Try
> setting the permissions to 777 (temporarily) to see if it is a permission
> based issue.

Yep, did that. It works, but that's not the way it's supposed to
work. That's my interim dodge until I find The Right Solution(tm).

Cheers,

Bob McClure Jr 11-29-2008 04:49 PM

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 09:17:51AM -0500, Mark Corsi wrote:
> Ok - if that works then back the permissions off slowly to figure out what
> that folder sees the process as.

Well, there's only one difference - world write permission. As I
understand it, procmail assumes the userid of the recipient, but
retains (or at least should have) group-id of mail, which has write
permission on /var/spool/mail. BTW, it actually writes to /var/mail,
but that's a symlink to spool/mail, but that should make no
difference. So the question may well be, what is the group ownership
of the procmail process. Maybe I'll call a script from .procmailrc to
report the GID.

Cheers,