-   -   multibooting (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/201735-multibooting.html)

"Dick Bentley" 11-28-2008 08:56 PM

multibooting

Running three OSs plus Knoppix on an AMD64-based machine with 3 large SATA drives, onr allocated to each system -- currently XP Prox64, Debian, and Ubuntu -- I started out with XP, Fedora, and Ubuntu.* When I upgraded Ubuntu it correctly modified the GRUB bootloader, but when I upgraded Fedora to 9 it failed to recognize and incorporate the other operating systems.* My goal with this circus is to identify a Linux or Unix based system I will be happy with as a replacement for Microsoft when they quit supporting XP, which is as far as I'm willing to go with them on my home/office workstation (a very small and neglected market).

Anyone know if Fedora 10 will play nice with XP and Ubuntu via GRUB?

I gave up on SUSE, which seems determined to have the whole machine or
nothing; but I would like to get a little more experience with Fedora.*
I still have freeBSD and Solaris on my list as well.* I always ran Red Hat with my Windows system at home until they split off Fedora and went for the corporate market, and I have worked in Windows, MacIntosh, and Solaris shops -- so now that I am in my Golden Years I do know what I am groping toward.* Sort of.

Thanks,

rmbdick

Karl Pearson 12-01-2008 05:22 AM

multibooting

[...]

I would recommend trying Linux Mint. Version 6 just came out, but I've
been very happy with version 5 and still use it until I have time to boot
to the v6 live CD and see what an upgrade will do. It's still a Beta, so
you might want to try 5 anyway. It's based on Ubuntu, but doesn't have the
limitations in the repositories Ubuntu has, which is why I don't like
Ubuntu anyway.

Another very good distro is PCLinuxOS. The main developer has had personal
issues to deal with, so the 2008 release never got out, but some other
developers have stepped in and will be releasing a 2009 version soon.
PCLOS has a control panel which rivals any I've seen on any OS, bar none.
This distro is based on RedHat.

HTH,

Karl

Thanks,

rmbdick

---
_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
_/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
_/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
---
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
--John Quincy Adams
---
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
-- Robert Heinlein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Karl Pearson 12-01-2008 05:24 AM

multibooting

Running three OSs plus Knoppix on an AMD64-based machine with 3 large SATA
drives, onr allocated to each system -- currently XP Prox64, Debian, and
Ubuntu -- I started out with XP, Fedora, and Ubuntu. When I upgraded Ubuntu
it correctly modified the GRUB bootloader, but when I upgraded Fedora to 9
it failed to recognize and incorporate the other operating systems. My goal
with this circus is to identify a Linux or Unix based system I will be happy
with as a replacement for Microsoft when they quit supporting XP, which is
as far as I'm willing to go with them on my home/office workstation (a very
small and neglected market).

Anyone know if Fedora 10 will play nice with XP and Ubuntu via GRUB?

Forgot: don't know about Fedora 10. I use Fedora 8 on my servers... But, I
would recommend single booting into Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS and then
installing VMWare Server and put your XP Pro on that. I do that, but
haven't found a need to even run it for several months now... I kept
Win98se on it, and used it to test boot into various distros, too. I still
do that, but haven't for a while there either.

Again, HTH,

Karl

Rick Stevens 12-01-2008 05:26 PM

multibooting

Dick Bentley wrote:

Running three OSs plus Knoppix on an AMD64-based machine with 3 large SATA
drives, onr allocated to each system -- currently XP Prox64, Debian, and
Ubuntu -- I started out with XP, Fedora, and Ubuntu. When I upgraded Ubuntu
it correctly modified the GRUB bootloader, but when I upgraded Fedora to 9
it failed to recognize and incorporate the other operating systems. My goal
with this circus is to identify a Linux or Unix based system I will be happy
with as a replacement for Microsoft when they quit supporting XP, which is
as far as I'm willing to go with them on my home/office workstation (a very
small and neglected market).

That's interesting. F9 should have at least recognized XP. Was this a
fresh install or an upgrade? Did you tell F9 to ignore the other drives
when you installed (if so, that's probably why it didn't build grub
entries for them).

Anyone know if Fedora 10 will play nice with XP and Ubuntu via GRUB?

Hmmm. F10 has some issues that you may want to let settle before you
use it. For example, the machine I have it on is a Phenom X4 with an
nVidia 8200 video card that the base nv driver simply doesn't grok ("no
device found"). I had to go get nVidia's binary blob driver for it to
work properly. Another example: the network config for fixed IPs has a
nasty tendency to set the netmask for the NIC to the IP address you gave
it _instead_ of the _netmask_ you specified. Easy to fix once you sort
out what's wrong (ifconfig is your friend).

I gave up on SUSE, which seems determined to have the whole machine or
nothing; but I would like to get a little more experience with Fedora. I
still have freeBSD and Solaris on my list as well. I always ran Red Hat
with my Windows system at home until they split off Fedora and went for the
corporate market, and I have worked in Windows, MacIntosh, and Solaris shops
-- so now that I am in my Golden Years I do know what I am groping toward.

Well, keep in mind that Fedora is the bleeding edge of Red Hat. Each
release has roughly a 6 month life span and older releases are EOLed two
months after the second successor has been released (F10 came out last
week, F8 will be EOLed at the end of the year, perhaps January).

For stability, think CentOS...built from RHEL source RPMs with RH
badging replaced.