FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Install

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 AM
mylar
 
Default Help !! It's Baaack !

Hello.

I retitled this email. Okay, the same problem that I described below is
back again. It's really weird. It seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes
when I boot the new kernel the display comes up normally and
immediately. Other times I'll get the message, "Cannot display this
video mode", which will hang for a few seconds then the screen will
blink a couple of times and then the display will come up. other times
it just sits there with the message "Cannot display this video mode" and
does nothing. The only way out when it does that is just to hit the big
switch on the front of the machine.

However, when I boot the old kernel the display comes up each and every
time with no problems. So for now I've gone back to using the old
kernel.

Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
problems I've had in a looooong time.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

John / mylar



On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:39 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:05 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > Hello... Here's an update...
> >
> > It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
> > rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
> > shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
> > hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
> > the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
> > kernel.
--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Help !! It's Baaack !

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 06:11 -0500, mylar wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I retitled this email. Okay, the same problem that I described below is
> back again. It's really weird. It seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes
> when I boot the new kernel the display comes up normally and
> immediately. Other times I'll get the message, "Cannot display this
> video mode", which will hang for a few seconds then the screen will
> blink a couple of times and then the display will come up. other times
> it just sits there with the message "Cannot display this video mode" and
> does nothing. The only way out when it does that is just to hit the big
> switch on the front of the machine.
>
> However, when I boot the old kernel the display comes up each and every
> time with no problems. So for now I've gone back to using the old
> kernel.
>
> Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
> then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
> problems I've had in a looooong time.

First off, what kind of video hardware is it? Which driver are you
running? This sounds like the driver is misinterpreting the DRI data
from the monitor on warm boots.

>
> Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
>
> John / mylar
>
>
>
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:39 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:05 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > Hello... Here's an update...
> > >
> > > It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
> > > rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
> > > shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
> > > hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
> > > the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
> > > kernel.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode." -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
mylar
 
Default Help !! It's Baaack !

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 11:30 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 06:11 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > Hello.

> >
> > Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
> > then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
> > problems I've had in a looooong time.
>
> First off, what kind of video hardware is it? Which driver are you
> running? This sounds like the driver is misinterpreting the DRI data
> from the monitor on warm boots.
>

Okay, the machine is 2.8 Ghz Dell 4600 running an Intel on board video
adapter. The video card is an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller and the monitor is a Dell E172FP flap panel LCD display. The
driver is the i810 driver which is the one I was told to use and, the
only one which seems to work. I'm running at a screen resolution of
1280x1024 which I have been using on this machine for several years. I
had no problem with Fedora 1, not with Fedora 7 while running the 2.6.18
XEN kernel. As soon as I upgraded to 2.6.20 whammo, the problem began.

To make things confusing (at least for me) it sometimes the display
comes up fine. Other times it will flicker a few times then come up
fine. other times it sits there like stone and does nothing till I hit
the big switch.

Oh, one other thing. It also happens on cold boots too. This morning I
booted the machine cold and it happened. I had to reboot to the old
kernel.

Lastly, I can find nothing in the systems logs or anywhere else that
might indicate where the glitch is occurring. It's strange.

mylar




--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 
Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Help !! It's Baaack !

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:52 -0500, Micros50 wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:38 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 06:01 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:31 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > > On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 06:30 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > > > On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 11:30 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > > > > On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 06:11 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > > > > > Hello.
> > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Any ideas. Where do I start debugging this thing ? Why would it work,
> > > > > > > then not work, intermittently like that. Its one of the strangest
> > > > > > > problems I've had in a looooong time.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > First off, what kind of video hardware is it? Which driver are you
> > > > > > running? This sounds like the driver is misinterpreting the DRI data
> > > > > > from the monitor on warm boots.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Okay, the machine is 2.8 Ghz Dell 4600 running an Intel on board video
> > > > > adapter. The video card is an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics
> > > > > Controller and the monitor is a Dell E172FP flap panel LCD display. The
> > > > > driver is the i810 driver which is the one I was told to use and, the
> > > > > only one which seems to work. I'm running at a screen resolution of
> > > > > 1280x1024 which I have been using on this machine for several years. I
> > > > > had no problem with Fedora 1, not with Fedora 7 while running the 2.6.18
> > > > > XEN kernel. As soon as I upgraded to 2.6.20 whammo, the problem began.
> > > > >
> > > > > To make things confusing (at least for me) it sometimes the display
> > > > > comes up fine. Other times it will flicker a few times then come up
> > > > > fine. other times it sits there like stone and does nothing till I hit
> > > > > the big switch.
> > > > >
> > > > > Oh, one other thing. It also happens on cold boots too. This morning I
> > > > > booted the machine cold and it happened. I had to reboot to the old
> > > > > kernel.
> > > > >
> > > > > Lastly, I can find nothing in the systems logs or anywhere else that
> > > > > might indicate where the glitch is occurring. It's strange.
> > > >
> > > > I've run into a similar thing myself. On occasion after the screen
> > > > saver blanks the screen (this is on an nVidia with a Viewsonic display),
> > > > the display wakes up but it's torn and unreadable. A quick
> > > > "CTRL-ALT-F1" followed by an "ALT-F7" (go to text console and back to
> > > > GUI) cures it. I've not found a permanent fix.
> > > >
> > > > It seems that the DRI/DRM stuff isn't sticking so the horizontal and
> > > > vertical refresh aren't sent properly when the screen wakes up and my
> > > > weird key sequence above causes a reset. This smells like something
> > > > that should be sent to bugzilla.
> > > >
> > >
> > > I may have found a temporary fix. I lowered the default screen
> > > resolution as root and thus far it has booted up with no problems two or
> > > three times in a row. However, when i log in and operate under X under
> > > my regular non-root account it seems to run fine under the higher
> > > 1280x1024 screen resolution that I normally like to use.
> > >
> > > I googled around a bit to see what I could find about this problem. it
> > > seems that I am not alone. Others have reported similar problems. seems
> > > something got broke between kernel updates with respect to the i810
> > > driver. I hate it when updates break stuff that has previously worked
> > > but that's the nature of the beast.
> >
> > I kinda suspected it was something like that.
> >
> > > I never submitted a bug report to bugzilla. Is that a relatively
> > > painless process ? It would be great if this problem could be patched
> > > soon.
> >
> > First, go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com and create an account (don't
> > worry, it's free) and log in. Select "New" in the grey menu bar below
> > the red one at the top. In the next screen, select a product and you'll
> > be taken to the appropriate screen. The items labeled in blue should be
> > filled in as best you can. When you're done, click on the "Commit"
> > button at the bottom of the page.
> >
> > Pretty simple.
>
> Thanks for the help. For the time being I seem to have found a temporary
> workaround as I described in a prior email. Thus far I've booted this
> machine several times into the new kernel and it hasn't hung with a
> blank screen. Meanwhile I'll file a bugzilla report. Hopefully this
> problem will be fixed in future kernel updates. This new kernel fixes a
> few other annoying problems I was having with the old kernel. Glad I can
> use it now.

It may be a gnome or kde setting that's freaking it out, since it seems
to work with regular accounts but not root.

> Now I've got to check another (different) machine. Seems the kernel I
> updated on that one is causing strange system hangups.That's the way it
> goes I suppose. Fix one break another

Welcome to my world. I have about 5,000 machines I have to ride herd
on--a mix of Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu and SuSE machines. Ye
gods!

> In the event I don't write to the list till next year Happy Holidays

The same to you, John!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART? -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org