-   -   Confused about 64-bit ISO (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/189118-confused-about-64-bit-iso.html)

"Chris Henderson" 11-07-2008 03:18 AM

Confused about 64-bit ISO

I have a x86 computer where I can install a 64-bit O.S. I need to
install a 64-bit Redhat AS or ES in there. But when I go to Redhat's
ISO download section it gets very confusing with various options. I
have downloaded and burned a 900MB Red Hat Application Server v. 2 (AS
v. 4 for x86_64) but can't seem to boot off the DVD. If it's a 64-bit
O.S. then why it's only 900MB and why can't I boot off of it? I'm not
sure what's Intel Itanium or IBM Power or Intel EM64T is.

Could anyone please point me to the right 64-bit ISO for x86?

Nigel Wade 11-07-2008 09:39 AM

Confused about 64-bit ISO

Chris Henderson wrote:

I have a x86 computer where I can install a 64-bit O.S. I need to
install a 64-bit Redhat AS or ES in there. But when I go to Redhat's
ISO download section it gets very confusing with various options. I
have downloaded and burned a 900MB Red Hat Application Server v. 2 (AS
v. 4 for x86_64) but can't seem to boot off the DVD. If it's a 64-bit
O.S. then why it's only 900MB and why can't I boot off of it?

RedHat Application Server is not an operating system. It is a framework for developing and
running Web Applications.

I'm not sure what's Intel Itanium or IBM Power or Intel EM64T is.

They are different processor architectures.

Could anyone please point me to the right 64-bit ISO for x86?

What you need is RedHat Enterprise Linux. The latest version is 5.2. There is no longer
any AS/ES distinction. Login to your RHN. Click on the Download Software icon on the left
of the page. Then follow the link to "Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64)"
(don't expand the "+") and download the Binary DVD iso.

If you really do want AS or ES (RHEL 4) then there are links to the download sections for
older RHEL versions on the same page e.g. "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 4 for 64-bit
AMD64/Intel EM64T)".

E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555