Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
mylar

Default Kernel remove via yum

Hello,

Now that I have successfully upgraded my kernel via yum can I remove the
old kernel via yum ? In other words can I simply do a

"# yum remove "kernel-2.6-18"

or are there any additional steps I need to take care to do ?

mylar

--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 06:08:51PM -0500, mylar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now that I have successfully upgraded my kernel via yum can I remove the
> old kernel via yum ? In other words can I simply do a
>
> "# yum remove "kernel-2.6-18"

Yeah, I guess that will work. I just use rpm:

rpm -e kernel-2.6-18

That said, I always keep the previous kernel around in case some
disaster strikes the new kernel, which, of course, hasn't happened,
... yet.

> or are there any additional steps I need to take care to do ?
>
> mylar
>

> --
> email-> micros50@verizon.net
>
> "I Speak Mathematics"

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Rick Stevens

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:40 -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 06:08:51PM -0500, mylar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Now that I have successfully upgraded my kernel via yum can I remove the
> > old kernel via yum ? In other words can I simply do a
> >
> > "# yum remove "kernel-2.6-18"
>
> Yeah, I guess that will work. I just use rpm:
>
> rpm -e kernel-2.6-18
>
> That said, I always keep the previous kernel around in case some
> disaster strikes the new kernel, which, of course, hasn't happened,
> ... yet.

Heheheheheh!

> > or are there any additional steps I need to take care to do ?

Normally yum only keeps two versions of each kernel anyway. That's
what the "tokeep=2" does in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.
If you want to keep more, then change it to whatever you want.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM
mylar

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:43 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:40 -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 06:08:51PM -0500, mylar wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Now that I have successfully upgraded my kernel via yum can I remove the
> > > old kernel via yum ? In other words can I simply do a
> > >
> > > "# yum remove "kernel-2.6-18"
> >
> > Yeah, I guess that will work. I just use rpm:
> >
> > rpm -e kernel-2.6-18
> >
> > That said, I always keep the previous kernel around in case some
> > disaster strikes the new kernel, which, of course, hasn't happened,
> > ... yet.
>
> Heheheheheh!
>
> > > or are there any additional steps I need to take care to do ?
>
> Normally yum only keeps two versions of each kernel anyway. That's
> what the "tokeep=2" does in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.
> If you want to keep more, then change it to whatever you want.

OK thanks... I didn't know that. For now I'll just leave it as is.
There's enough room and I don't mind keeping the old version around.

mylar

--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Rick Stevens

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 04:10 -0500, mylar wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:43 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > Yeah, I guess that will work. I just use rpm:
> > >
> > > rpm -e kernel-2.6-18
> > >
> > > That said, I always keep the previous kernel around in case some
> > > disaster strikes the new kernel, which, of course, hasn't happened,
> > > ... yet.
> >
> > Heheheheheh!

> > Normally yum only keeps two versions of each kernel anyway. That's
> > what the "tokeep=2" does in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.
> > If you want to keep more, then change it to whatever you want.
>
> OK thanks... I didn't know that. For now I'll just leave it as is.
> There's enough room and I don't mind keeping the old version around.

'Tis always a good thing to keep at least one old kernel around...just
in case something evil happens.