Old 12-12-2007, 10:05 PM
mylar

Default (UPDATE) No Video after Kernel Upgrade

Hello... Here's an update...

It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
kernel. Viola' it worked !! I have no idea why. I made no configuration
changes or anything else, But it seems to be working fine. I am using
the new kernel right now and video, sound and everything else seems to
be just fine. Quite strange as to why it did not work before.

mylar

--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Rick Stevens

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:05 -0500, mylar wrote:
> Hello... Here's an update...
>
> It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
> rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
> shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
> hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
> the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
> kernel. Viola' it worked !! I have no idea why. I made no configuration
> changes or anything else, But it seems to be working fine. I am using
> the new kernel right now and video, sound and everything else seems to
> be just fine. Quite strange as to why it did not work before.

The video card may have misread the DRI data from the monitor and held
it. The previous reboot didn't clear that data but the power cycle did.

Sometimes a cold boot does magic that a warm boot doesn't. Sometimes
it's just...magic! :-)