Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Rick Stevens

Default Problem in Compiling Kernel 2.6.24 : kernel headers remains unchanged

Alok Pandey wrote:

Alok Pandey wrote:

Hi All,
I am trying to compile a new kernel-2.6.24 on RHEL5(xeon-x86_64) to
use /* tcp-md5 encryptions*/, but after successfully compilation ,
kernel headers remain unchanged.

The steps I followed to compile the kernel was :

linux2.6.24#] make oldconfig
>make menuconfig (to select tcp-md5 as *)
> make dep,clean, modules,all
> make modules_install, headers_install_all
> make install
Linux2.6.24#] mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.24.img 2.6.24
> check /boot/grub/grub.conf (for proper entry)
reboot.

After Reboot: Checked, system is booted with correct kernel (i.e
2.6.24) but still kernel headers are unchanged (i.e files under
/usr/include/{linux,netinet})

Any idea ,what i am doing wrong ?
Any suggestion is welcome ...!

What did you expect to change? The headers are the headers. Rebuilding
a kernel doesn't change the headers, just the kernel, its associated
modules and the "/boot/config-(version)" file.

You also don't need the "make dep clean" stuff with 2.6 kernels.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Alok Pandey

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your time,

What I am trying to do is, want to use the new feature of* TCP-MD5
for encryption* and for which I need to compile a new kernel version
>2.6.24 (as lower version kernels don't have such options)

After successful kernel installation , still guy's (developers)* are
not able to use it as it complains about KERNEL-HEADERS.

As i am not a developer and have limited knowledge about lib and
headers, hope you will understand my problem and will able to suggest
me the best way to resolve this issue.

Reasons why it seems to be an Kernel headers problem ,because

*** In kernel src dir i.e linux2.6.46/usr/include/linux/

*** ** there is file named tcp.h (which had entry for tcp-md5) ,but

*** ** file tcp.h on system (/usr/include/netinet/) don't have such
entry and after installation it remains unchanged and;

**** Our script use that file from system src (/usr/include/netinet/)

also

I think ,gcc is also need to be upgraded , if this be the case, then
what will be the safe way to UPGRADE the gcc.

PLZ SUGGEST....!!

Thanks

Alok

Rick Stevens wrote: