Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Karl Pearson

Default ssh -X (-Y) not working

I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running
gui apps sometimes.

I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted
sshd so don't know where else to go.

I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:

[root@mail root]# system-config-printer
system-config-printer: could not open display
This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.

or:

[karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

I've seen blogs, threads and other stuff all over the net and everything
says, enable X11Forwarding. I've done this for years and have never had
that not work. Using -X or -Y should even countermand that setting if it's
off, right?

Any ideas where to go next?

---
_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
_/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
_/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
---
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---

Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:06:37PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running
> gui apps sometimes.
>
> I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted
> sshd so don't know where else to go.
>
> I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:
>
> [root@mail root]# system-config-printer
> system-config-printer: could not open display
> This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.
>
> or:
>
> [karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>
> Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

Well, no, it needs to be set by sshd. If you "ssh -X host.onthe.net",
when you get a shell prompt, you should be able to

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

in the usual case. Any problems should be evident in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

Check also your ~/.Xauthority file on the distant server. Permissions
should be something like mine:

-rw------- 1 bob users 532 Sep 23 15:09 .Xauthority

You might try deleting it, then exit, and "ssh -X" in again. It
should mention something about creating it.

> I've seen blogs, threads and other stuff all over the net and everything
> says, enable X11Forwarding. I've done this for years and have never had
> that not work. Using -X or -Y should even countermand that setting if it's
> off, right?
>
> Any ideas where to go next?
>
> ---
> _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
> _/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
> _/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
> _/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Karl Pearson

I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running
gui apps sometimes.

I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted
sshd so don't know where else to go.

I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:

[root@mail root]# system-config-printer
system-config-printer: could not open display
This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.

or:

[karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

Well, no, it needs to be set by sshd. If you "ssh -X host.onthe.net",
when you get a shell prompt, you should be able to

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

Nope, it's empty...

in the usual case. Any problems should be evident in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

Logging in works, and the logs show that, but there's nothing about
forwarding anomalies. There is an entry about DNS lookup failed for my IP.
Should I set secure forwarding on?

Check also your ~/.Xauthority file on the distant server. Permissions
should be something like mine:

-rw------- 1 bob users 532 Sep 23 15:09 .Xauthority

You might try deleting it, then exit, and "ssh -X" in again. It
should mention something about creating it.

Deleted. And... not recreated on next ssh in... Hmmm?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:28:44PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:06:37PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> >>I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running
> >>gui apps sometimes.
> >>
> >>I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted
> >>sshd so don't know where else to go.
> >>
> >>I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:
> >>
> >>[root@mail root]# system-config-printer
> >>system-config-printer: could not open display
> >>This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.
> >>
> >>or:
> >>
> >>[karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
> >>xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> >>xterm: DISPLAY is not set
> >>
> >>Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.
> >
> >Well, no, it needs to be set by sshd. If you "ssh -X host.onthe.net",
> >when you get a shell prompt, you should be able to
> >
> >$ echo $DISPLAY
> >localhost:10.0
>
> Nope, it's empty...

Figgers.

> >in the usual case. Any problems should be evident in
> >/var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.
>
> Logging in works, and the logs show that, but there's nothing about
> forwarding anomalies. There is an entry about DNS lookup failed for my IP.
> Should I set secure forwarding on?

I guess so. <shrug> Can't say I know what that does. I think I've
always set it.

> >Check also your ~/.Xauthority file on the distant server. Permissions
> >should be something like mine:
> >
> >-rw------- 1 bob users 532 Sep 23 15:09 .Xauthority
> >
> >You might try deleting it, then exit, and "ssh -X" in again. It
> >should mention something about creating it.
>
> Deleted. And... not recreated on next ssh in... Hmmm?

Just thought I'd check. I was suspecting that the file had somehow
acquired bogus permissions or ownership and couldn't be written to.

Oh, I don't know why I failed to suggest this before. Turn on
verbosity with "-v", up to three times to get more details on what's
going on. When they say "verbose", they mean _verbose_. You'll have
to scroll up to see the whole mess. See if any clues come of that.

> >>I've seen blogs, threads and other stuff all over the net and everything
> >>says, enable X11Forwarding. I've done this for years and have never had
> >>that not work. Using -X or -Y should even countermand that setting if it's
> >>off, right?
> >>
> >>Any ideas where to go next?
> >>
> >>---
> >> _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
> >> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
> >> _/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
> >> _/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
> >> _/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
> >>---
> >>http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> >>---
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> ---
> _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
> _/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
> _/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
> _/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---

Cheers,

Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 AM
"Aldo Foot"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Karl Pearson <karlp@ourldsfamily.com> wrote:
> I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running gui
> apps sometimes.
>
> I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted sshd
> so don't know where else to go.
>
> I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:
>
> [root@mail root]# system-config-printer
> system-config-printer: could not open display
> This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.
>
> or:
>
> [karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>
> Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

> Any ideas where to go next?
>
> ---

On the ssh client:
$ xhost +<sshServer>

~af

P.S. Trim your replies a bit for legibility.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Rick Stevens

Karl Pearson wrote:

[...]

On your ssh client, enter "echo $DISPLAY" and make sure it displays
something to the effect ":0.0" (you ARE in an xterm, right?). If it
doesn't, then there's something wrong with your local X. That's step
one. If you don't have $DISPLAY set locally, there's no way ssh can
communicate that to the sshd server, regardless of using "-X" or "-Y".

Next, check the remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make sure that
both "AllowTcpForwarding yes" and "X11Forwarding yes" are set (they're
both set to "no" by default). If you've changed either or both
settings, do "service sshd restart" before you log off the remote
machine to make the changes "take".

Now, if the local "echo $DISPLAY" does display data, then "ssh -Y
remotehost" should get you to the remote. Once on there, do another
"echo $DISPLAY" and it should show "localhost:10.0" or something very
similar (the ":10" bit is set by the "X11DisplayOffset" value in the
remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and is 10 by default). The
"localhost" bit indicates that X is being tunneled through the ssh
pipe.

Example on my machines:

[root@prophead ~]# echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
[root@prophead ~]# ssh bigdog
Last login: Tue Sep 23 17:26:51 2008 from prophead.hci.com
[root@bigdog ~]# echo $DISPLAY

[root@bigdog ~]# exit
logout
Connection to bigdog closed.
[root@prophead ~]# ssh -Y bigdog
Last login: Tue Sep 23 17:30:31 2008 from prophead.hci.com
[root@bigdog ~]# echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
[root@bigdog ~]# exit
logout

Hope that helps!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Karl Pearson

[...]

Verbose output shows debug1: Sending environment

but echo $DISPLAY still shows nothing (it shows :0.0 on localhost before
ssh)

Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Karl Pearson

I like remote managing my server using ssh -X or ssh -Y and then running gui
apps sometimes.

I've check workstation and server X11Forwarding yes and then restarted sshd
so don't know where else to go.

I've checked the logs and there's nothing about it. The error I get is:

[root@mail root]# system-config-printer
system-config-printer: could not open display
This is a graphical application and requires DISPLAY to be set.

or:

[karlp@mail ~/]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Of course, the obvious is to set $DISPLAY, which doesn't work either.

Any ideas where to go next?

---

On the ssh client:
$ xhost +<sshServer>

No joy. echo $DISPLAY still shows a blank line.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Karl Pearson

[...]

Nope. no DISPLAY on the server, just the client (:0.0)

Something appears to have kept the DISPLAY being sent when the environment
is sent.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
"Aldo Foot"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Karl Pearson <karlp@ourldsfamily.com> wrote:
>> On the ssh client:
>> $ xhost +<sshServer>
>
> No joy. echo $DISPLAY still shows a blank line.
>

>> ~af
>>
>> P.S. Trim your replies a bit for legibility.

For troubleshooting purposes try setting the display on the
ssh server to point to the remote client.
remote is the FQDN or IP of the remote system.
C-SHELL server% setenv DISPLAY remoteClient:0
BOURNE server$ export DISPLAY=remoteClient:0
Then test by starting an X-Client on the server.

Note that using setenv to set the display neglects ssh security.
~af