Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Rick Stevens

Default IMAP Login fails

Karl Pearson wrote:
I have a couple webmail applications: Squirrelmail and Hastymail (for
WAP browsers, but it has a few bugs, but it's good to have it to test with)

Since provisioning a new server, they won't authenticate. They did at
first, but in fixing things, apparently I broke something. Since I did
so much during the first hours bringing the server up, I have no idea
what could have changed things to the point they are now.

Which "new server" did you provision...a new web server running the
Squirrelmail and/or Hastymail or a new IMAP server that the web server
is trying to authenticate against?

In either one, I enter my user name and password, and they respond, SQM:
You must be logged in to access this page, and HM: Login failed.

Did you verify the firewalls permit IMAP service (TCP/UDP port 143) or
IMAPS (TCP/UDP port 993) if you're using IMAPS? Did you verify the web
server can actually ping the IMAP server (you don't have a bogus route
in there somewhere, do you)?

Can you get on the web server via a terminal and use telnet to log into
the IMAP service? If you don't know how to do that:

1. On the web server, enter "telnet name-of-IMAP-machine 143"
2. Eventually the IMAP server will respond "OK"
3. Enter "1 login yourusername yourpassword"
4. The IMAP server should respond "1 OK User logged in"
5. Enter "2 logout"
6. IMAP server should respond "2 OK User logged out" and the connection
should break.

If you don't get a response at item 2 above, then either the IMAP server
isn't running an IMAP service or your firewall is blocking port 143.
You can see if IMAP is live by getting on the IMAP server and doing

the same 6 things, but using "telnet localhost 143" at step 1. If that
works, then you've either got a firewall or routing issue.

I'm suspecting Dovecot or Apache, but can't see anything that might be
causing it. I compare this setup to my previous (old HD mounted in an
external USB housing)

Well, let's try the things I listed above first and see where that gets us.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- -
- "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
- process. Prepare to vi." -

Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM
"Karl Pearson"

On Mon, September 15, 2008 5:49 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Karl Pearson wrote:
>> I have a couple webmail applications: Squirrelmail and Hastymail (for
>> WAP browsers, but it has a few bugs, but it's good to have it to test with)
>>
>> Since provisioning a new server, they won't authenticate. They did at
>> first, but in fixing things, apparently I broke something. Since I did
>> so much during the first hours bringing the server up, I have no idea
>> what could have changed things to the point they are now.
>
> Which "new server" did you provision...a new web server running the
> Squirrelmail and/or Hastymail or a new IMAP server that the web server
> is trying to authenticate against?
>
>> In either one, I enter my user name and password, and they respond, SQM:
>> You must be logged in to access this page, and HM: Login failed.
>
> Did you verify the firewalls permit IMAP service (TCP/UDP port 143) or
> IMAPS (TCP/UDP port 993) if you're using IMAPS? Did you verify the web
> server can actually ping the IMAP server (you don't have a bogus route
> in there somewhere, do you)?
>
> Can you get on the web server via a terminal and use telnet to log into
> the IMAP service? If you don't know how to do that:
>
> 1. On the web server, enter "telnet name-of-IMAP-machine 143"
> 2. Eventually the IMAP server will respond "OK"
> 3. Enter "1 login yourusername yourpassword"
> 4. The IMAP server should respond "1 OK User logged in"
> 5. Enter "2 logout"
> 6. IMAP server should respond "2 OK User logged out" and the connection
> should break.
>
> If you don't get a response at item 2 above, then either the IMAP server
> isn't running an IMAP service or your firewall is blocking port 143.
> You can see if IMAP is live by getting on the IMAP server and doing
> the same 6 things, but using "telnet localhost 143" at step 1. If that
> works, then you've either got a firewall or routing issue.
>
>> I'm suspecting Dovecot or Apache, but can't see anything that might be
>> causing it. I compare this setup to my previous (old HD mounted in an
>> external USB housing)
>
> Well, let's try the things I listed above first and see where that gets us.

Nice... I broke it myself. The permissions of the php session directory was
wrong. I had already gone through everything you said above, before I read
this email. You know, sometimes I just get too smart for my own britches.

The php session directory had the wrong group, so it couldn't write to it. But
that only showed up in /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log which is the last place I
would have looked for php authentication errors. Not that it shouldn't be
there, but I just don't know php very well. Oh, it WAS the last place I
looked. I guess continuing to look for something after it's found is a sign of
something I don't have yet.

Karl

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
> - process. Prepare to vi." -

Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
"The constitution doesn't grant us rights any more than a birth certificate
gives us life. It's just a piece of paper that tells us what we already
know." - John Charles Carter, aka, Charlton Heston, 10/4/23-4/5/08 See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleton_Heston#Political_activism
---
http://www.bobbarr2008.com/a-real-choice/ - Vote Bob Barr
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Rick Stevens

Karl Pearson wrote:

[...]

They're called "senior moments" and I get them often. :-)

Glad you sorted it out. You didn't state you were using secure http,
or I would've suggested that. I assumed a normal Squirrelmail/IMAP
installation. I know, never assume.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
"Karl Pearson"

On Tue, September 16, 2008 11:03 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Karl Pearson wrote:

>>> Which "new server" did you provision...a new web server running the
>>> Squirrelmail and/or Hastymail or a new IMAP server that the web server
>>> is trying to authenticate against?

>>> Did you verify the firewalls permit IMAP service (TCP/UDP port 143) or
>>> IMAPS (TCP/UDP port 993) if you're using IMAPS? Did you verify the web
>>> server can actually ping the IMAP server (you don't have a bogus route
>>> in there somewhere, do you)?
>>>
>>> Can you get on the web server via a terminal and use telnet to log into
>>> the IMAP service? If you don't know how to do that:
>>>
>>> 1. On the web server, enter "telnet name-of-IMAP-machine 143"
>>> 2. Eventually the IMAP server will respond "OK"
>>> 3. Enter "1 login yourusername yourpassword"
>>> 4. The IMAP server should respond "1 OK User logged in"
>>> 5. Enter "2 logout"
>>> 6. IMAP server should respond "2 OK User logged out" and the connection
>>> should break.
>>>
>>> If you don't get a response at item 2 above, then either the IMAP server
>>> isn't running an IMAP service or your firewall is blocking port 143.
>>> You can see if IMAP is live by getting on the IMAP server and doing
>>> the same 6 things, but using "telnet localhost 143" at step 1. If that
>>> works, then you've either got a firewall or routing issue.

>>> Well, let's try the things I listed above first and see where that gets us.
>>
>> Nice... I broke it myself. The permissions of the php session directory was
>> wrong. I had already gone through everything you said above, before I read
>> this email. You know, sometimes I just get too smart for my own britches.
>>
>> The php session directory had the wrong group, so it couldn't write to it.
>> But
>> that only showed up in /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log which is the last place
>> would have looked for php authentication errors. Not that it shouldn't be
>> there, but I just don't know php very well. Oh, it WAS the last place I
>> looked. I guess continuing to look for something after it's found is a sign
>> of
>> something I don't have yet.
>
> They're called "senior moments" and I get them often. :-)
>
> Glad you sorted it out. You didn't state you were using secure http,
> or I would've suggested that. I assumed a normal Squirrelmail/IMAP
> installation. I know, never assume.

You assumed right. I am NOT using 943/IMAPS which is why I wouldn't have
thought to look there either.

And I have senior moments as much as regular moments now... Grandkids do that
to one, eh?

Karl

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
> - process. Prepare to vi." -

---
_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
_/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
_/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
---

Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Rick Stevens

Karl Pearson wrote:

[...]

I meant your connection to Squirrelmail. It sounds like it's via https
on port 443 (which would require SSL), but I could be wrong.

And I have senior moments as much as regular moments now... Grandkids do that
to one, eh?

I wish I had such an excuse, Karl. I'm 50, single and to my knowledge
never, uh, procreated. At least no one's tried to claim paternity. An
old "friend" told me I was the poster child for Planned Parenthood: a
big photo of me with the caption, "Don't let THIS happen again!"

:-)

Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 AM
"Karl Pearson"

On Tue, September 16, 2008 6:59 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Karl Pearson wrote:

>>> They're called "senior moments" and I get them often. :-)
>>>
>>> Glad you sorted it out. You didn't state you were using secure http,
>>> or I would've suggested that. I assumed a normal Squirrelmail/IMAP
>>> installation. I know, never assume.
>>
>> You assumed right. I am NOT using 943/IMAPS which is why I wouldn't have
>> thought to look there either.
>
> I meant your connection to Squirrelmail. It sounds like it's via https
> on port 443 (which would require SSL), but I could be wrong.

I have https up, but don't use it for email. I'm thinking of switching to it,
however. So, still why would it end up in ssl_error_log? One thing I noticed
while tinkering around with Dovecot was that alpine connected and the logs
said it was using TLS, even though that's turned off for alpine, too.

>> And I have senior moments as much as regular moments now... Grandkids do
>> that
>> to one, eh?
>
> I wish I had such an excuse, Karl. I'm 50, single and to my knowledge
> never, uh, procreated. At least no one's tried to claim paternity. An
> old "friend" told me I was the poster child for Planned Parenthood: a
> big photo of me with the caption, "Don't let THIS happen again!"
>
> :-)

With no offspring, you would have to be the poster *child*, hmmm? I would then
be the poster child for the Catholic/Mormon Reproduction Symposium??? 7 kids,
3 grandkids, so far... I still have 4 to get married, so that number will
change. ;-)

---

Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Rick Stevens