Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Red Hat Install (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/)
-   -   Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/147059-fedora-9-aarrrgggghh.html)

"Bret Stern" 08-22-2008 04:09 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's
turning into the "Windows babysitting" model.

I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and
web services, and really don't like all the changes.

Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching
the servers run ..year..after..year...

How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just
downloaded FreeBSD, and feel this could be more
comfortable for this old timer.

It's a good day.


Bret Stern

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

Karl Pearson 08-22-2008 04:43 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Bret Stern wrote:



After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's
turning into the "Windows babysitting" model.

I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and
web services, and really don't like all the changes.

Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching
the servers run ..year..after..year...

How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just
downloaded FreeBSD, and feel this could be more
comfortable for this old timer.


I install Fedora 8 because it feels comfortable like FC6 did.

That might be a solution you can live with.

Karl



It's a good day.


Bret Stern

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe



--
Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

Rick Stevens 08-22-2008 05:09 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
Bret Stern wrote:

After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's
turning into the "Windows babysitting" model.

I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and
web services, and really don't like all the changes.

Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching
the servers run ..year..after..year...

How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just
downloaded FreeBSD, and feel this could be more
comfortable for this old timer.


Fedora 9 or 10 will become the new RHEL 6 in time. F9 is a significant
change in a lot of baseline technologies, but deals more with the
desktop-type of system than servers: a new Xorg release, new versions
of Gnome and (and incomplete) KDE, enhanced support for various video
and audio cards, (supposedly) easier wireless networking...the list goes
on and on.

You could have said "Stop the evolution of Fedora" at any point. Many
people did. F3 became RHEL4. F6 became RHEL5. Fedora is an evolving

beast...sometimes the evolution hits a dead end and it gets backed off.

I don't like where F9 went in some areas, and in fact only have it
running as a Xen DomU (guest) under an F8 Dom0 on an Opteron for testing
purposes. Some of my observations:

a) NetworkManager is completely useless (and in fact is
counterproductive) if you have anything more than the simplest of
networking topologies. It's not configurable in any meaningful way.

b) I'm still rather unhappy with the spectacularly confusing PulseAudio
system, and it doesn't "play nice" with many applications (Skype, for
example).

c) I'm not thrilled with the new startup logic (there was NOTHING wrong
with inittab and the /etc/rc.d/rcx.d directory tree)...and I don't agree
with "changes for the sake of change").

d) KDE is V4.0 and it's MASSIVELY incomplete. 4.1 is around the corner,
but 4.0 is SO bad it never should have been released.

e) Most proprietary video drivers (are you listening nVidia?) were
incompatible with the new Xorg version. This has gotten better in the
last few months, but Je-sus!

These complaints (and others) have been sent off to the development and
design teams. I'm not an official member of the groups, but sort of an
interested (and vocal) spectator. As with any evolving thing, not
everyone will be pleased with the directions it goes. You can help
guide it by getting involved in the developers or testers group. If you
don't get involved, you essentially have no cause to complain if it
doesn't go the way you want it to in exactly the same way you really
don't have a right to bitch about the government unless you get involved
and vote.

For a rock-solid server, stay with RHEL 5 or CentOS 5. They won't be
EOL'd for quite a while and will work well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore! -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

"Harold Hallikainen" 08-22-2008 07:10 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
I've still got Fedora 4 running on my server and am bringing up Fedora 9
on my backup server. After several years of operation, there are a lot of
applications and a lot of config files I have to set up on the backup
server. Once I get that all figured out, I'll update the online server to
Fedora 9.

I AM running Fedora 9 on my HP laptop, and it's working well. A while back
there was a kernel update that killed it, but I was able to go back to a
previous one and have it work. I like that Fedora 9 is now supporting the
internal MMC/SD card reader, since I lost my little USB one somewhere. The
network manager seems to work fine for me on managed wireless networks and
my DHCP wired network. Last time I tried, it did not work on an ad hoc
network, but that may be the wireless card driver I'm using (which is
probably out of date) that I pulled from Windows with fwcutter.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising
opportunities available!

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

mylar 08-23-2008 05:21 AM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 10:09 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

>
> d) KDE is V4.0 and it's MASSIVELY incomplete. 4.1 is around the corner,
> but 4.0 is SO bad it never should have been released.
>

This is my biggest gripe about Fedora 9. I installed it on only one
machine here and I since I am a KDE user I was anxious to check out the
new KDE 4.0. Man... was I DISAPPOINTED. KDE 4.0 is terribly incomplete
to the point of being unusable. I decided not to upgrade my main machine
until KDE 4.1... which will hopefully have resolved most of the issues
that presently make KDE 4.0 so miserable. For now I'm sticking with
Fedora 6 on my main machine.


--
email-> micros50@verizon.net

"I Speak Mathematics"

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

"Bret Stern" 08-23-2008 05:10 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com
> [mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of
> Karl Pearson
> Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:44 AM
> To: redhat-install-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
>
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Bret Stern wrote:
>
> >
> > After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's turning into the
> > "Windows babysitting" model.
> >
> > I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and web
> services, and
> > really don't like all the changes.
> >
> > Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching
> the servers
> > run ..year..after..year...
> >
> > How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just downloaded
> FreeBSD, and
> > feel this could be more comfortable for this old timer.
>
> I install Fedora 8 because it feels comfortable like FC6 did.
>
> That might be a solution you can live with.
>
> Karl


I'll take a look at Fedora 8. Is it essentially the
last Fedora progression before the big Fedora 9
(analogy XP to Vista like) change?

It's just a real bitch to keep up with all this, especially
with all life's distractions. (I just got a new backhoe).

Thanks for all the replies..this list has a great bunch
of contributors.


>
> >
> > It's a good day.
> >
> >
> > Bret Stern
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Redhat-install-list mailing list
> > Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
> > To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
> > redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
> > Subject: unsubscribe
> >
>
> --
> Karl L. Pearson
> karlp@ourldsfamily.com
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
> http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
> ---
> The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
> the people who are evil, but because of the people who
> don't do anything about it.
> - Albert Einstein
> ---
> "To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
> to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
> ---
>
> _______________________________________________
> Redhat-install-list mailing list
> Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
> To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
> redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
> Subject: unsubscribe

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe

Karl Pearson 08-23-2008 08:01 PM

Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh
 
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Bret Stern wrote:


-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of
Karl Pearson
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:44 AM
To: redhat-install-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Fedora 9 -aarrrgggghh

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Bret Stern wrote:



After installing Fedora 9, I'm feeling like it's turning into the
"Windows babysitting" model.

I have been using Fedora 6 for really solid ftp and web

services, and

really don't like all the changes.

Fedora 6 was so solid; it gets pretty boring just watching

the servers

run ..year..after..year...

How 'bout a pep talk on Fedora 9....or I just downloaded

FreeBSD, and

feel this could be more comfortable for this old timer.


I install Fedora 8 because it feels comfortable like FC6 did.

That might be a solution you can live with.

Karl



I'll take a look at Fedora 8. Is it essentially the
last Fedora progression before the big Fedora 9
(analogy XP to Vista like) change?



From what Rick said, I would suggest this is the case.




It's just a real bitch to keep up with all this, especially
with all life's distractions. (I just got a new backhoe).

Thanks for all the replies..this list has a great bunch
of contributors.


Might I suggest taking a look at Linux Mint, which is a very solid
distribution, other than being based on the Debian tree, and even more
like Ubuntu. It uses the Ubuntu repositories, but doesn't maintain the
'only free; only open-source' policy of Ubuntu.


I also like very much PCLinuxOS, which is a redhat derivative, except
v2008 isn't out yet, so it's not as compatible with newer hardware as Mint
is. That will change once PCLOS2008 is released (no idea or news when).


Karl








It's a good day.


Bret Stern

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe



--
Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe


_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe



--
Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-install-list
To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com
Subject: unsubscribe


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.