Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
"Karl Pearson"

Default Apache Seems to Hang

I am having some issues with Apache on my server. It just seems to hang
forever some times. I found this article:

http://sitening.com/blog/2006/02/03/apache-hangs-due-to-lack-of-entropy/

and read the linked article, but my hardware doesn't support hw_random so I
can't use that solution.

I did:

# service random restart

and now Apache seems to be working faster, but it could be a fluke because
sometimes it just works okay, and other times it doesn't.

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of just adding
a cron job that restarts random every 30 minutes or so...

--
Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
"The constitution doesn't grant us rights any more than a birth certificate
gives us life. It's just a piece of paper that tells us what we already
know." - John Charles Carter, aka, Charlton Heston, 10/4/23-4/5/08 See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleton_Heston#Political_activism
---
http://www.bobbarr2008.com/a-real-choice/ - Vote Bob Barr
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Jeff Kinz

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:42:10AM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> I am having some issues with Apache on my server. It just seems to hang
> forever some times. I found this article:
>
> http://sitening.com/blog/2006/02/03/apache-hangs-due-to-lack-of-entropy/
>
> and read the linked article, but my hardware doesn't support hw_random so I
> can't use that solution.
>
> I did:
>
> # service random restart
>
> and now Apache seems to be working faster, but it could be a fluke because
> sometimes it just works okay, and other times it doesn't.
>
> Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of just adding
> a cron job that restarts random every 30 minutes or so...

Karl - Without the hardware support I you have found the a good
work-around.

PS- regarding your 911 page - I worked on an NSA contract in 1985 or so
- guess what story one of the old timers told me? :-)

The US govt (The NSA) has known how to use commercial aircraft to take out
skyscrapers for decades. They even know how to change the planes
configurations to make it impossible. Simply don't have any door between
the cockpit and the passenger compartment. The crew cabin gets its own
exterior door. Lot cheaper then funding DHS and the air marshals too.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Karl Pearson

[...]

That makes perfect sense. There would still be some vulnerability, but
nothing like we see now.

Karl

Karl L. Pearson
karlp@ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
---