-   -   Video display not adjustable (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-install/133140-video-display-not-adjustable.html)

vbs 07-28-2008 05:55 PM

Video display not adjustable

I have an old HP Netserver LC that I tried to install RH 5 using the GUI and was not able to. I was able to install it in text mode.

*

The problem I have now is when I run the GUI the only option is the 640x480. The onboard video is a Cirrus logic GD5446. The display options will not let me change the setting. It would probably be acceptable if I could get it to work at 800x600 any ideas would be appreciated.

*

Thanks
-Dave Vantine

--
Thanks
Dave Vantine

Bob McClure Jr 07-28-2008 06:20 PM

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:55:29PM -0400, vbs wrote:
> I have an old HP Netserver LC that I tried to install RH 5 using the GUI and
> was not able to. I was able to install it in text mode.
>

> The problem I have now is when I run the GUI the only option is the 640x480.
> The onboard video is a Cirrus logic GD5446. The display options will not let
> me change the setting. It would probably be acceptable if I could get it to
> work at 800x600 any ideas would be appreciated.

When you (as root) run system-config-display, does it recognize what
monitor you are using?

I'm guessing not, and the system will go for the safest configuration
when in doubt. Use the pull-down menu to see if you can tell it what
monitor you are using. If you find it in the list, the config program
will allow you more useful options. If you don't find your monitor in
the list and you know what its capabilities are, select one of the
Generic monitors that most closely fits yours.

> Thanks
> -Dave Vantine
>
> --
> Thanks
> Dave Vantine

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

vbs 07-29-2008 02:16 PM

Video display not adjustable

It does not seem to know what monitor it is and lists it as autoconfigured. If I select the configure button there are two options Generic CRT and Generic LCD but it does not let me select one or the other and save it. Likewise if I select the show monitors check box and find the Dell monitors it does not allow any changes as well.

*
One other interesting note is when I run the system-config-display from the command prompt it indicates that the resolution 800x600. If I run the gui with startx and go into the display properties the resolution is listed as 640x480.

*
The Dell 15" LCD monitor indicates that it is running 640x480 in either configuration settings but that optimum should be 1024x768
*
*
Thanks

*
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Bob McClure Jr <bob@bobcatos.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:55:29PM -0400, vbs wrote:
> I have an old HP Netserver LC that I tried to install RH 5 using the GUI and

> was not able to. I was able to install it in text mode.
>

> The problem I have now is when I run the GUI the only option is the 640x480.
> The onboard video is a Cirrus logic GD5446. The display options will not let

> me change the setting. It would probably be acceptable if I could get it to
> work at 800x600 any ideas would be appreciated.

When you (as root) run system-config-display, does it recognize what
monitor you are using?

I'm guessing not, and the system will go for the safest configuration
when in doubt. *Use the pull-down menu to see if you can tell it what
monitor you are using. *If you find it in the list, the config program

will allow you more useful options. *If you don't find your monitor in
the list and you know what its capabilities are, select one of the
Generic monitors that most closely fits yours.

> Thanks
> -Dave Vantine

> --
> Thanks
> Dave Vantine

Cheers,

Rick Stevens 07-29-2008 04:59 PM

vbs wrote:

It does not seem to know what monitor it is and lists it as autoconfigured.
If I select the configure button there are two options Generic CRT and
Generic LCD but it does not let me select one or the other and save it.
Likewise if I select the show monitors check box and find the Dell monitors
it does not allow any changes as well.

One other interesting note is when I run the system-config-display from the
command prompt it indicates that the resolution 800x600. If I run the gui
with startx and go into the display properties the resolution is listed as
640x480.

The Dell 15" LCD monitor indicates that it is running 640x480 in either
configuration settings but that optimum should be 1024x768

In that display, did you checkmark the "Show all monitors" option? That
begin the display of LOTS of monitors and yours may be in it. Even if
it isn't, if you click on the little ">" symbol next to the "Generic
CRT" or "Generic LCD", it should display more selections. When you
select one of those monitors, you should get the "OK" button
highlighted.

[...]

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- Programmers often confuse Halloween and Christmas. -
- After all, 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec! -