Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Sujitkumar Shirkar

Default CentOS 5.2 64bit Vs Rendhat RHEL4 update 4

Hello All,

*

I need some guidance from you. I am using some special software on linux. The software is functioning fine on both Centos 5.2 and RHEL4 update 4. i am now confused which one to use for my rest of the 20 systems. both are functioning similar. Can anybody advise which os will be better in terms of management, cost (licensing), feature, performance, os overheads on hardware, Networking etc.**

With Thanks and Regards
*
Sujitkumar Shirkar

*

Discover videos like never before. Search and explore on http://www.live.com/ - video search by MSN. Try it!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Bob McClure Jr

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 06:34:04AM +0000, Sujitkumar Shirkar wrote:

> Hello All,

> I need some guidance from you. I am using some special software on
> linux. The software is functioning fine on both Centos 5.2 and RHEL4
> update 4. i am now confused which one to use for my rest of the 20
> systems. both are functioning similar.

I presume you know that CentOS is a repackaged super-set of RHEL, so,
except for version differences, they should work the same.

> Can anybody advise which os
> will be better in terms of management,

Depending on what you mean by management, pretty much the same.

> cost (licensing),

CentOS is definitely better ($0).

> feature,

CentOS has more stuff in the distro, but none of the extras are likely
to be essential to your operation.

If you pay RHEL for some level of support, you have someone you can
call, email, or web-form to help fix problems.

> performance, os overheads on hardware, Networking etc.

The only differences will be version 4 vs. version 5.

If you want the latest versions of packages, e.g. PHP 5 instead of 4,
Apache 2.2 instead of 2.0, and several others (see the release notes
on CentOS 5), you want v5 of Centos or RHEL.

RHEL offers several levels of support, but you must pay for one ticket
per box. That includes regular updates. If you can handle things
with mailing list help, then go for CentOS. Updates are free.

> With Thanks
> and Regards Sujitkumar Shirkar

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr. Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@bobcatos.com http://www.bobcatos.com

Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Chuck Lawrence

hi,

centos is 100% binary-equivalent to redhat. there are a few differences in your cited operating systems, but I would vote for centos, for the following reasons:

1. it's free
2. version 5.2 is newer than 4.4. therefore it will have a longer support cycle.

the other issues you mention (performance, overhead, etc.) should be nearly identical.

if you are the sort that requires or prefers "official" vendor support, you want redhat. otherwise, centos is the way to go._______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Sujitkumar Shirkar

Thanks a lot my friends, NOw i know what i need to do and which direction to go.

*

Thanks once again

With Thanks and Regards
*