Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
hong zhang

Default why boot installation stops?

Dear List,

I try to generate a generic boot disk for various versions of Redhat. When the disk boot up, user can chose one of Red Hat version to install through network. boot.iso in first disk starts installation. But if I do
following in isolinux.cfg as following,

kernel /boot/vmlinuz
append initrd=/boot/initrd.img

after boot up and installation will stop (Normally, it should start a process of installing kernel) like this

ACPI: PCI Root bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)

Do I miss something here?
Thanks.

---henry

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Rick Stevens

hong zhang wrote:

Dear List,

I try to generate a generic boot disk for various versions of Redhat. When the disk boot up, user can chose one of Red Hat version to install through network. boot.iso in first disk starts installation. But if I do
following in isolinux.cfg as following,

kernel /boot/vmlinuz
append initrd=/boot/initrd.img

after boot up and installation will stop (Normally, it should start a process of installing kernel) like this

ACPI: PCI Root bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)

Do I miss something here?

The installers for different versions of RHEL are different. For one
thing, they look for different SHA1SUM or MD5SUM signatures on the
install media (the SHA1SUM for RHE 5 is different from 5 Update 1) and
the installer will abort when it sees a checksum it isn't expecting.

Also note that you MUST use an EXTREMELY generic kernel to start the
ball rolling. If your kernel is expecting some hardware to be there
that isn't, the thing will stop.

It'd be nice to see what errors you're getting from the ALT-F2, -F3 and
-F4 screens.