Old 12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
gerrynix

Default The plus symbol in fdisk -l

What does the + symbol, at the end of the "Blocks" count,*signify in the output of fdisk -l ? Many TIA, Nix_______________________________________________
Redhat-install-list mailing list
Redhat-install-list@redhat.com
redhat-install-list-request@redhat.com

Old 12-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Rick Stevens

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 06:20 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> What does the + symbol, at the end of the "Blocks" count, signify in
> the output of fdisk -l ?

It means that the partition does not end on a cylinder boundary. By
that, I mean that, after conversion to a CHS layout (cylinder, head,
sector), the partition doesn't end on head 254, sector 63 and a cylinder
boundary.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM
gerrynix

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 06:20 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> What does the + symbol, at the end of the "Blocks" count, signify in
> the output of fdisk -l ?

It means that the partition does not end on a cylinder boundary. By
that, I mean that, after conversion to a CHS layout (cylinder, head,
sector), the partition doesn't end on head 254, sector 63 and a cylinder
boundary. * Thanks Rick, I Googled and "manned" and couldn't find anything on this. I didn't look at the source but then again.... I am not a "source guy".* So this situation is not a negative thing... Just a notice?___________________________________________ ____

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:58 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 06:20 -0800, gerrynix wrote:
> > What does the + symbol, at the end of the "Blocks" count, signify in
> > the output of fdisk -l ?
>
> It means that the partition does not end on a cylinder boundary. By
> that, I mean that, after conversion to a CHS layout (cylinder, head,
> sector), the partition doesn't end on head 254, sector 63 and a
> cylinder
> boundary.
>
> Thanks Rick,
> I Googled and "manned" and couldn't find anything on this. I didn't
> look at the source but then again.... I am not a "source guy". So
> this situation is not a negative thing... Just a notice?

Yup, informational only. It's displayed that way because some operating
systems (OS/2 comes to mind as well as any that depend heavily on BIOS
calls) don't like it. Most somewhat modern systems don't mind since
they use LBA (logical block addressing) anyway.