Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
"Hayden,Robert"

Default BNX2 v1.7.1d-1 with Red Hat 5.2 Fails to Install

Title: BNX2 v1.7.1d-1 with Red Hat 5.2 Fails to Install

Looking to see if anyone has ran into this issue before I contact HP Support.

I am working on getting Red Hat 5.2 (kernel 2.6.18-92.el5) installed on a HP BL460c blade and ran into an issue with the installation of the HP PSP 8.0.* In particular, I cannot install the BNX2 driver due to what appears to be duplicated definitions within the build files.* I have tried to download the latest BNX2 driver (1.7.1d.3-1) from HP support web site and it has the same issue when I manually attempt to install it.

Searching Google did not turn up any solutions but I did have a hit on a Dell list server of a similar issue: http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2008-May/036295.html

Reviewing the header files, I do see duplicates in the bnx2.h and the kernel source headers for the variables mentioned below.

I am guessing that some definitions were moved into the kernel headers and not eliminated from the BNX2 headers or vice versa.* I do not have this issue with Red Hat 5.1

Issue from /var/log/hppldu.log:

******* ******* Preparing to install HP NC-Series Multifunction Driver for Linux v1.7.1d-1

******* ******* *** This driver contains the driver for the HP NC-Series

******* ******* *** Multifunction Gigabit Ethernet NICs running under Linux.

******* ******* + umask 022

******* ******* + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

******* ******* + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

******* ******* + rm -rf bnx2-1.7.1d

******* ******* + /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/bnx2-1.7.1d.tar.bz2

******* ******* + tar -xvvf -

******* ******* + STATUS=0

******* ******* + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'

******* ******* + cd bnx2-1.7.1d

******* ******* ++ /usr/bin/id -u

******* ******* + '[' 0 = 0 ']'

******* ******* + /bin/chown -Rhf root .

******* ******* ++ /usr/bin/id -u

******* ******* + '[' 0 = 0 ']'

******* ******* + /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .

******* ******* + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .

******* ******* + exit 0

******* ******* + umask 022

******* ******* + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

******* ******* + cd bnx2-1.7.1d

******* ******* + value=

******* ******* + '[' -z ' ']'

******* ******* ++ uname -r

******* ******* + KVER=2.6.18-92.el5

******* ******* + make KVER=2.6.18-92.el5

******* ******* In file included from /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.c:74:

******* ******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:261: error: redefinition of skb_transport_offset

******* ******* include/linux/skbuff.h:1006: error: previous definition of skb_transport_offset was here

******* ******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:266: error: redefinition of ip_hdr

******* ******* include/linux/ip.h:109: error: previous definition of ip_hdr was here

******* ******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:271: error: redefinition of ip_hdrlen

******* ******* include/net/ip.h:48: error: previous definition of ip_hdrlen was here

******* ******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:276: error: redefinition of tcp_hdr

******* ******* include/linux/tcp.h:169: error: previous definition of tcp_hdr was here

******* ******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:281: error: redefinition of tcp_optlen

******* ******* include/linux/tcp.h:179: error: previous definition of tcp_optlen was here

******* ******* make[2]: *** [/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.o] Error 1

******* ******* make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d] Error 2

******* ******* make: *** [default] Error 2

******* ******* error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.16667 (%build)

******* ******* *** Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.16667 (%build)

******* ******* A command, "rpmbuild -bb --quiet --clean --rmsource ${RPMDIR}/SPECS/bnx2.spec", necessary to complete the installation of this component failed with error code 1: "Operation not permitted"

******* ******* Installation of this component FAILED.

Robert

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
"Hayden,Robert"

Title: BNX2 v1.7.1d-1 with Red Hat 5.2 Fails to Install

Upon further investigation, I am seeing changes in the
kernel-devel-2.6.18-92 package (compared to 2.6.18-55 version) to introduce one
of the parameters, skb_transport_offset.* From the bnx2 source, I see the
parameters that failed listed in bnx2.h file in the below IF statement.* *What
I don’t understand, due mainly to being new at this, is why the IF
statement is not working and dropping the bnx compiler into setting these
parameters.* My assumption is that the LINUX_VERSION_CODE variable for kernel
2.6.18-92 is 0x020618 which should be greater than 0x020616.

*

======== begin cut bnx2.h ===========

*

#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x020616)

static inline int skb_transport_offset(const struct sk_buff
*skb)

{

******* return (int) (skb->h.raw - skb->data);

}

*

static inline struct iphdr *ip_hdr(const struct sk_buff
*skb)

{

******* return skb->nh.iph;

}

*

static inline unsigned int ip_hdrlen(const struct sk_buff
*skb)

{

******* return ip_hdr(skb)->ihl * 4;

}

*

static inline struct tcphdr *tcp_hdr(const struct sk_buff
*skb)

{

******* return skb->h.th;

}

*

static
inline unsigned int tcp_optlen(const struct sk_buff *skb)

{

******* return (tcp_hdr(skb)->doff - 5) * 4;

}

*

#endif

*

===============end cut here bnx2.h =====================

*

*

*

*

*

Robert Hayden |
Technology Architect | Cerner Corporation | 816.201.4068 | rhayden@cerner.com | www.cerner.com

*

*******

******* ***
This driver contains the driver for the HP NC-Series

*******
******* ***
Multifunction Gigabit Ethernet NICs running under Linux.

*******
******* +
umask 022

*******
******* +
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

*******
******* +
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

*******
******* +
rm -rf bnx2-1.7.1d

*******
******* +
/usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/bnx2-1.7.1d.tar.bz2

*******
******* +
tar -xvvf -

*******
******* +
STATUS=0

*******
******* +
'[' 0 -ne 0 ']'

*******
******* +
cd bnx2-1.7.1d

*******
******* ++
/usr/bin/id -u

*******
******* +
'[' 0 = 0 ']'

*******
******* +
/bin/chown -Rhf root .

*******
******* ++
/usr/bin/id -u

*******
******* +
'[' 0 = 0 ']'

*******
******* +
/bin/chgrp -Rhf root .

*******
******* +
/bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .

*******
******* +
exit 0

*******
******* +
umask 022

*******
******* +
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

*******
******* +
cd bnx2-1.7.1d

*******
******* +
value=

*******
******* +
'[' -z ' ']'

*******
******* ++
uname -r

*******
******* +
KVER=2.6.18-92.el5

*******
******* +
make KVER=2.6.18-92.el5

*******
******* In
file included from /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.c:74:

*******
******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:261:
error: redefinition of âskb_transport_offsetâ

*******
******* include/linux/skbuff.h:1006:
error: previous definition of âskb_transport_offsetâ was here

*******
******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:266:
error: redefinition of âip_hdrâ

*******
******* include/linux/ip.h:109:
error: previous definition of âip_hdrâ was here

*******
******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:271:
error: redefinition of âip_hdrlenâ

*******
******* include/net/ip.h:48:
error: previous definition of âip_hdrlenâ was here

*******
******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:276:
error: redefinition of âtcp_hdrâ

*******
******* include/linux/tcp.h:169:
error: previous definition of âtcp_hdrâ was here

*******
******* /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/bnx2-1.7.1d/bnx2.h:281:
error: redefinition of âtcp_optlenâ

*******
******* include/linux/tcp.h:179:
error: previous definition of âtcp_optlenâ was here

*******

Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM
"Hayden,Robert"

Title: BNX2 v1.7.1d-1 with Red Hat 5.2 Fails to Install

Following the trail some more….

*

LINUX_VERSION_CODE is defined in /usr/include/linux/version.h

*

==== begin
cut here =====

#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132626

#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b)
<< 8) + (c))

#define RHEL_MAJOR 5

#define RHEL_MINOR 2

#define RHEL_RELEASE_CODE 1282

#define RHEL_RELEASE_VERSION(a,b) (((a) << 8) + (b))

====== end cut here =========

*

If you convert 132626 to Hex, then the value is 0x020612.* This
is less than 0x020616 and hence why the bnx2 compile is falling into the IF
statement.

*

I guess I am going to have to contact HP support and have them
duke it out with Red Hat to determine if the kernel-devel change between 5.1
and 5.2 is wrong or if the bnx2 header file is wrong.

*

*

Thanks

Robert

[...]