FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Launchpad User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 PM
John Botscharow
 
Default Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

I have opened the terminal in the same folder as the file - which has
the default name0 I copy and pasted the command into the terminal from
the instruction page provided in the encrypted email. But when I try to
execute the command I get the following error message:


> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
> user: "John Botscharow <john@jbotscharow.com>"
> 1024-bit DSA key, ID 3D45BBB5, created 2008-05-22
>
> gpg: can't open `UbuntuCodeOfConduct-1.0.1.txt': No such file or directory
> gpg: UbuntuCodeOfConduct-1.0.1.txt: clearsign failed: file open error
> john@john-desktop:~$
>

No window opens requesting the password so I have no clue how to deal with this.
I'm techically challenged anyway LOL and this terminal stuff is all "G[r]eek" to me.

Help please!

Peace!

John


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:
> I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
> help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
> where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
> terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

IMO, the easy way to do it (the way I did it), is to enable the Seahorse
encryption plugin in Gedit. Paste the CoC into Gedit, then go to Edit
-> Sign. Choose your key, hit OK, enter your passphrase. Select All,
copy that, and paste it into Launchpad.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"
 
Default Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Hi all,

On 26/05/2008, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:
> > I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
> > help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
> > where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
> > terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

Hm, I ran accross that problem with a friend of mine who tried to
upload the signed Code of Conduct: we verified the key, the signed
.asc file and everything looks ok, the key is on the keyserver, but
she still gets the message "non-valid signature" when she tries to
upload the signed text

Looks rather like a bug to me...

Greets

Myriam

PS. please copy your answers to Moira too, she is not on the list
--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org
Please don't send me proprietary file formats,
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 PM
"Jacob Peddicord"
 
Default Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Depending on where you published your PGP keys, it might be a while until they are sync'd with keyserver.ubuntu.com. Though, after writing that, I noticed that the keys are already there:



http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=moosline%40gmail.com&op=vindex

Check to make sure that it was signed with the key there (779D8ECC). If it isn't that key, you might just have to wait for the key servers to sync, which is 24h from what I recall.



Does LP cache keys at all?
*
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber@pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:


Hi all,



On 26/05/2008, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:

> *> I am new here *and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little

> *> help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part

> *> where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a

> *> terminal, but cannot get that part to work.



Hm, I ran accross that problem with a friend of mine who tried to

upload the signed Code of Conduct: we verified the key, the signed

.asc file and everything looks ok, the key is on the keyserver, but

she still gets the message "non-valid signature" when she tries to

upload the signed text



Looks rather like a bug to me...



Greets



Myriam



PS. please copy your answers to Moira too, she is not on the list

--

Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!

http://www.fsfe.org

Please don't send me proprietary file formats,

use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)



--

launchpad-users mailing list

launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users



--
Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net
jpeddicord@ubuntu.com


jacob@fosswire.com


--
Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net
jpeddicord@ubuntu.com
jacob@fosswire.com
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"
 
Default Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Hi Jacob,

On 26/05/2008, Jacob Peddicord <jpeddicord@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Depending on where you published your PGP keys, it might be a while until
> they are sync'd with keyserver.ubuntu.com. Though, after writing that, I
> noticed that the keys are already there:
>
> http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=moosline%40gmail.com&op=vindex
>
> Check to make sure that it was signed with the key there (779D8ECC). If it
> isn't that key, you might just have to wait for the key servers to sync,
> which is 24h from what I recall.

Maybe my mail was not precise enough, but here it goes:

yes, we did check that the key is on the keyserver, we checked that
the CoC was signed with that key and not another, still, same problem.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org
Please don't send me proprietary file formats,
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org