-   -   Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/95693-launchpad-openpgp-cnofirmation-problem.html)

John Botscharow 05-24-2008 10:36 PM

Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

I have opened the terminal in the same folder as the file - which has
the default name0 I copy and pasted the command into the terminal from
the instruction page provided in the encrypted email. But when I try to
execute the command I get the following error message:

> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
> user: "John Botscharow <john@jbotscharow.com>"
> 1024-bit DSA key, ID 3D45BBB5, created 2008-05-22
>
> gpg: can't open `UbuntuCodeOfConduct-1.0.1.txt': No such file or directory
> gpg: UbuntuCodeOfConduct-1.0.1.txt: clearsign failed: file open error
> john@john-desktop:~$

No window opens requesting the password so I have no clue how to deal with this.
I'm techically challenged anyway LOL and this terminal stuff is all "G[r]eek" to me.

Help please!

Peace!

John

Mackenzie Morgan 05-26-2008 08:04 PM

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:
> I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
> help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
> where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
> terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

IMO, the easy way to do it (the way I did it), is to enable the Seahorse
encryption plugin in Gedit. Paste the CoC into Gedit, then go to Edit
-> Sign. Choose your key, hit OK, enter your passphrase. Select All,
copy that, and paste it into Launchpad.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

"Myriam Schweingruber" 05-26-2008 08:30 PM

Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Hi all,

On 26/05/2008, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:
> > I am new here and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little
> > help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part
> > where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a
> > terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

Hm, I ran accross that problem with a friend of mine who tried to
upload the signed Code of Conduct: we verified the key, the signed
.asc file and everything looks ok, the key is on the keyserver, but
she still gets the message "non-valid signature" when she tries to
upload the signed text

Looks rather like a bug to me...

Greets

Myriam

PS. please copy your answers to Moira too, she is not on the list
--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

"Jacob Peddicord" 05-26-2008 08:52 PM

Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Depending on where you published your PGP keys, it might be a while until they are sync'd with keyserver.ubuntu.com. Though, after writing that, I noticed that the keys are already there:

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=moosline%40gmail.com&op=vindex

Check to make sure that it was signed with the key there (779D8ECC). If it isn't that key, you might just have to wait for the key servers to sync, which is 24h from what I recall.

Does LP cache keys at all?
*
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0500, John Botscharow wrote:

> *> I am new here *and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux so I need a little

> *> help. I am trying to confirm my OpemPGP key. I've gotten to the part

> *> where you have to digitally sign the Code of Coduct text file from a

> *> terminal, but cannot get that part to work.

Hm, I ran accross that problem with a friend of mine who tried to

upload the signed Code of Conduct: we verified the key, the signed

.asc file and everything looks ok, the key is on the keyserver, but

she still gets the message "non-valid signature" when she tries to

upload the signed text

Looks rather like a bug to me...

Greets

Myriam

PS. please copy your answers to Moira too, she is not on the list

--

Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!

http://www.fsfe.org

Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net
jpeddicord@ubuntu.com

jacob@fosswire.com

--
Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net

"Myriam Schweingruber" 05-26-2008 09:20 PM

Launchpad OpenPGP Cnofirmation problem

Hi Jacob,

On 26/05/2008, Jacob Peddicord <jpeddicord@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Depending on where you published your PGP keys, it might be a while until
> they are sync'd with keyserver.ubuntu.com. Though, after writing that, I
> noticed that the keys are already there:
>
> http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=moosline%40gmail.com&op=vindex
>
> Check to make sure that it was signed with the key there (779D8ECC). If it
> isn't that key, you might just have to wait for the key servers to sync,
> which is 24h from what I recall.

Maybe my mail was not precise enough, but here it goes:

yes, we did check that the key is on the keyserver, we checked that
the CoC was signed with that key and not another, still, same problem.

Greets

Myriam