-   -   Copy packages to same PPA, different distro (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/95691-copy-packages-same-ppa-different-distro.html)

Dan 05-22-2008 07:19 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

Hi all, I am having trouble creating binaries for both Gutsy AND Hardy
in the same PPA. Here's what happened:

0) My package was initially made for Debian, so the most recent
changelog entry points to "unstable". Therefore,

1) I uploaded the source package to ~myname/ubuntu/hardy

2) The package built fine, and Hardy .deb's showed up in the PPA

3) I requested "Copy Packages" to the same PPA / target distro Gutsy,
without checking the "copy binary packages" checkbox

4) The package again built fine (the build logs contained no errors
and the PPA front page says my packages are published for Gutsy)

But I cannot find the Gutsy binaries. For example,

http://ppa.launchpad.net/myname/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages

is empty (0 bytes in size)

Upon further inspection, I don't even see how this could work *in
principle*, since the Hardy .deb's in pool/main/m/mypackage have no
indication that they are Hardy-specific. That is, even if Gutsy .deb's
were built, they would have no place to go (short of over-riding the
Hardy .deb's in pool/main/...)

What am I doing wrong? What is the right way to create both Hardy and
Gutsy .deb's?

-- Dan

Pau Garcia i Quiles 05-26-2008 04:53 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

Quoting Dan <danmbox@gmail.com>:

It does not work for me, either. I even blogged about that:
http://www.elpauer.org/index.php?p=253

> Hi all, I am having trouble creating binaries for both Gutsy AND Hardy
> in the same PPA. Here's what happened:
>
> 0) My package was initially made for Debian, so the most recent
> changelog entry points to "unstable". Therefore,
>
> 1) I uploaded the source package to ~myname/ubuntu/hardy
>
> 2) The package built fine, and Hardy .deb's showed up in the PPA
>
> 3) I requested "Copy Packages" to the same PPA / target distro Gutsy,
> without checking the "copy binary packages" checkbox
>
> 4) The package again built fine (the build logs contained no errors
> and the PPA front page says my packages are published for Gutsy)
>
> But I cannot find the Gutsy binaries. For example,
>
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/myname/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages
>
> is empty (0 bytes in size)
>
> Upon further inspection, I don't even see how this could work *in
> principle*, since the Hardy .deb's in pool/main/m/mypackage have no
> indication that they are Hardy-specific. That is, even if Gutsy .deb's
> were built, they would have no place to go (short of over-riding the
> Hardy .deb's in pool/main/...)
>
> What am I doing wrong? What is the right way to create both Hardy and
> Gutsy .deb's?
>
> -- Dan

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

"Celso Providelo" 05-26-2008 05:46 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
> Quoting Dan <danmbox@gmail.com>:
>
> It does not work for me, either. I even blogged about that:
> http://www.elpauer.org/index.php?p=253
>

>> Hi all, I am having trouble creating binaries for both Gutsy AND Hardy
>> in the same PPA. Here's what happened:
>>
>> 0) My package was initially made for Debian, so the most recent
>> changelog entry points to "unstable". Therefore,
>>
>> 1) I uploaded the source package to ~myname/ubuntu/hardy
>>
>> 2) The package built fine, and Hardy .deb's showed up in the PPA
>>
>> 3) I requested "Copy Packages" to the same PPA / target distro Gutsy,
>> without checking the "copy binary packages" checkbox
>>
>> 4) The package again built fine (the build logs contained no errors
>> and the PPA front page says my packages are published for Gutsy)
>>
>> But I cannot find the Gutsy binaries. For example,
>>
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/myname/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages
>>
>> is empty (0 bytes in size)
>>
>> Upon further inspection, I don't even see how this could work *in
>> principle*, since the Hardy .deb's in pool/main/m/mypackage have no
>> indication that they are Hardy-specific. That is, even if Gutsy .deb's
>> were built, they would have no place to go (short of over-riding the
>> Hardy .deb's in pool/main/...)
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? What is the right way to create both Hardy and
>> Gutsy .deb's?

You should either:

1. Build the source once in Gutsy and copy source & binaries to Hardy
(the opposite should also work, but it depends on the which features
you used in your package).

2. Upload new versions of the source to build to build in Hardy.

For instance, 1/3 (5796/16673) of Hardy sources was carried out from
previous series, so it might be worth to check if you really need a
rebuild before uploading new sources.

The 'copy UI' in edge.l.n (and soon in production, l.n) will refuse to
perform source-only copies within the same PPA, because the rebuilt
binaries would never reach the archive since their contents would be
different of the same files already published in the archive.

[]
--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@canonical.com>
IRC: cprov, Jabber: cprov@jabber.org, Skype: cprovidelo

Pau Garcia i Quiles 05-26-2008 05:52 PM

Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
> <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
>> Quoting Dan <danmbox@gmail.com>:
>>
>> It does not work for me, either. I even blogged about that:
>> http://www.elpauer.org/index.php?p=253
>>

>>> Hi all, I am having trouble creating binaries for both Gutsy AND Hardy
>>> in the same PPA. Here's what happened:
>>>
>>> 0) My package was initially made for Debian, so the most recent
>>> changelog entry points to "unstable". Therefore,
>>>
>>> 1) I uploaded the source package to ~myname/ubuntu/hardy
>>>
>>> 2) The package built fine, and Hardy .deb's showed up in the PPA
>>>
>>> 3) I requested "Copy Packages" to the same PPA / target distro Gutsy,
>>> without checking the "copy binary packages" checkbox
>>>
>>> 4) The package again built fine (the build logs contained no errors
>>> and the PPA front page says my packages are published for Gutsy)
>>>
>>> But I cannot find the Gutsy binaries. For example,
>>>
>>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/myname/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages
>>>
>>> is empty (0 bytes in size)
>>>
>>> Upon further inspection, I don't even see how this could work *in
>>> principle*, since the Hardy .deb's in pool/main/m/mypackage have no
>>> indication that they are Hardy-specific. That is, even if Gutsy .deb's
>>> were built, they would have no place to go (short of over-riding the
>>> Hardy .deb's in pool/main/...)
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? What is the right way to create both Hardy and
>>> Gutsy .deb's?
>
> You should either:
>
> 1. Build the source once in Gutsy and copy source & binaries to Hardy
> (the opposite should also work, but it depends on the which features
> you used in your package).

Copy binaries?

What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz
then built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never
made available to users.

> 2. Upload new versions of the source to build to build in Hardy.

Yes, that works but then you are not using the "copy packages"
feature. BTW, being able to automate package copy would also be nice.

"Celso Providelo" 05-26-2008 06:35 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
> Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Quoting Dan <danmbox@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> It does not work for me, either. I even blogged about that:
>>> http://www.elpauer.org/index.php?p=253

>> You should either:
>>
>> 1. Build the source once in Gutsy and copy source & binaries to Hardy
>> (the opposite should also work, but it depends on the which features
>> you used in your package).
>
> Copy binaries?

Yes, there is a checkbox in +copy-packages UI saying:

{{{
| | Copy binaries

Whether or not to copy the binary packages for the selected sources.
}}}

> What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz then
> built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never made available
> to users.

Right, but that shouldn't and will not be allowed anymore, see the example:

1. foo_1.0 source in gutsy builds foo-bin_1.0_all.deb which gets
published it the archive.

2. foo_1.0 source copied to hardy will also build the same
foo-bin_1.0_all.deb but with different contents (at least, with
different timestamps in the data.tar.gz).

This last binary cannot be published in the archive, otherwise all apt
clients using the gutsy binary would be in inconsistent state, forced
to upgrade to the same version with different contents.

>> 2. Upload new versions of the source to build to build in Hardy.
>
> Yes, that works but then you are not using the "copy packages" feature. BTW,
> being able to automate package copy would also be nice.

Maybe, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be. Do you have any
specific use-case in mind ?

[]

Dan 05-26-2008 06:50 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

Hi,

> {{{
> | | Copy binaries
>
> Whether or not to copy the binary packages for the selected sources.
> }}}

But "Copy Binaries" doesn't give me any assurance that the binaries
will actually be installable in the target distro. How do I check
that? Could Launchpad do a check?

>> What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz then
>> built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never made
>> available
>> to users.
>
> Right, but that shouldn't and will not be allowed anymore, see the example:

Yes, it doesn't work because the naming convention doesn't support it.
Is it possible to come up with a different naming convention that
avoids this conflict? I.e. can the .deb's for different distributions
either have different names, or be placed in different directories? Is
the "/pool/..." structure the only way to do it? IIRC there is a
different type of Debian repositories (trivial vs. automatic)

> Maybe, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be. Do you have any
> specific use-case in mind ?

I'm not sure what Pau meant by "automating" either.

What I can say is that I'd like to be able to upload a source package
and have it build for all distributions (or at least the recent ones,
e.g. Hardy + Gutsy). I'm not sure if it's feasible, but it would be
great.

-- Dan

Pau Garcia i Quiles 05-26-2008 07:09 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
> <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
>> Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>:

>>> You should either:
>>>
>>> 1. Build the source once in Gutsy and copy source & binaries to Hardy
>>> (the opposite should also work, but it depends on the which features
>>> you used in your package).
>>
>> Copy binaries?
>
> Yes, there is a checkbox in +copy-packages UI saying:
>
> {{{
> | | Copy binaries
>
> Whether or not to copy the binary packages for the selected sources.
> }}}

I know but I'm not sure copying a binary between different
distributions (for instance, Gutsy and Hardy) makes sense, as the
binary would probably not work due to linkage issues.

>> What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz then
>> built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never made available
>> to users.
>
> Right, but that shouldn't and will not be allowed anymore, see the example:
>
> 1. foo_1.0 source in gutsy builds foo-bin_1.0_all.deb which gets
> published it the archive.
>
> 2. foo_1.0 source copied to hardy will also build the same
> foo-bin_1.0_all.deb but with different contents (at least, with
> different timestamps in the data.tar.gz).
>
> This last binary cannot be published in the archive, otherwise all apt
> clients using the gutsy binary would be in inconsistent state, forced
> to upgrade to the same version with different contents.

I guess that's what the OP and I are suffering

>>> 2. Upload new versions of the source to build to build in Hardy.
>>
>> Yes, that works but then you are not using the "copy packages" feature. BTW,
>> being able to automate package copy would also be nice.
>
> Maybe, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be. Do you have any
> specific use-case in mind ?

I can think of these two use cases:

- Automatically copying packages between two PPAs. For instance, for
Zumastor we have two PPAs, zumastor-team and zumastor-releases.
Everytime a svn commit is done to the Zumastor repository, a package
is built and published to the zumastor-team PPA. On the other hand,
only the stable releases are published to the zumastor-releases PPA
(ATM, manually copied from zumastor-team). Automating this would make
life easier.

- Automatically building a package for more than one release (in the
same PPA or in a different one). For instance, I may want to build my
package for Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid. ATM, either I manually copy the
package (which does not work) or I upload the source three times
(which is a PITA)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Christian Robottom Reis 05-26-2008 07:23 PM

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 09:09:19PM +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> I know but I'm not sure copying a binary between different
> distributions (for instance, Gutsy and Hardy) makes sense, as the
> binary would probably not work due to linkage issues.

Copying forwards should be okay. Copying backwards will usually not work
(unless the libraries really didn't break binary compat).
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125

"Celso Providelo" 05-26-2008 07:28 PM

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Dan <danmbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> {{{
>>
>> Whether or not to copy the binary packages for the selected sources.
>> }}}
>
> But "Copy Binaries" doesn't give me any assurance that the binaries
> will actually be installable in the target distro. How do I check
> that? Could Launchpad do a check?

Launchpad checks if the binary version is 'publishable' anything else
can't be accurately checked, unfortunately.

Note that 'installable' and 'fully-functional' are also different concepts.

>>> What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz then
>>> built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never made
>>> available
>>> to users.
>>
>> Right, but that shouldn't and will not be allowed anymore, see the example:
>
> Yes, it doesn't work because the naming convention doesn't support it.
> Is it possible to come up with a different naming convention that
> avoids this conflict? I.e. can the .deb's for different distributions
> either have different names, or be placed in different directories? Is
> the "/pool/..." structure the only way to do it? IIRC there is a
> different type of Debian repositories (trivial vs. automatic)

It's not only about the archive topology, but mainly for packaging consistency.

If foo-bin works fine for gutsy and hardy why would you have to
rebuild it and in case it doesn't work as expected in a later series
the issue should be fixed and documented as a new version of the
package. So the evolution goes on, step by step.

>> Maybe, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be. Do you have any
>> specific use-case in mind ?
>
> I'm not sure what Pau meant by "automating" either.
>
> What I can say is that I'd like to be able to upload a source package
> and have it build for all distributions (or at least the recent ones,
> e.g. Hardy + Gutsy). I'm not sure if it's feasible, but it would be
> great.

See above.

"Celso Providelo" 05-26-2008 07:43 PM

Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
> Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:

>>> Copy binaries?
>>
>> Yes, there is a checkbox in +copy-packages UI saying:
>>
>> {{{
>>
>> Whether or not to copy the binary packages for the selected sources.
>> }}}
>
> I know but I'm not sure copying a binary between different distributions
> (for instance, Gutsy and Hardy) makes sense, as the binary would probably
> not work due to linkage issues.
>
>>> What I used to do is build on Gutsy, then copy source to Hardy. Soyuz
>>> then
>>> built the Hardy version of those packages but they were never made
>>> available
>>> to users.
>>
>> Right, but that shouldn't and will not be allowed anymore, see the
>> example:
>>
>> 1. foo_1.0 source in gutsy builds foo-bin_1.0_all.deb which gets
>> published it the archive.
>>
>> 2. foo_1.0 source copied to hardy will also build the same
>> foo-bin_1.0_all.deb but with different contents (at least, with
>> different timestamps in the data.tar.gz).
>>
>> This last binary cannot be published in the archive, otherwise all apt
>> clients using the gutsy binary would be in inconsistent state, forced
>> to upgrade to the same version with different contents.
>
> I guess that's what the OP and I are suffering

Yes, probably.

>>> Yes, that works but then you are not using the "copy packages" feature.
>>> BTW,
>>> being able to automate package copy would also be nice.
>>
>> Maybe, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be. Do you have any
>> specific use-case in mind ?
>
> I can think of these two use cases:
>
> - Automatically copying packages between two PPAs. For instance, for
> Zumastor we have two PPAs, zumastor-team and zumastor-releases. Everytime a
> svn commit is done to the Zumastor repository, a package is built and
> published to the zumastor-team PPA. On the other hand, only the stable
> releases are published to the zumastor-releases PPA (ATM, manually copied
> from zumastor-team). Automating this would make life easier.

Interesting setup, it seems to be the adopted pattern for all
Product-related PPAs, development & release.

Are you imagining something kind of programmatic way to trigger the
copies once you are happy with QA ? a API ?

> - Automatically building a package for more than one release (in the same
> PPA or in a different one). For instance, I may want to build my package for
> Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid. ATM, either I manually copy the package (which
> does not work) or I upload the source three times (which is a PITA)

Right, propagating source & binaries once they are built ...

That's indeed a good idea. Can you file a bug about it, please ?

[]