-   -   Can't create launchpad account or obtain password reminder (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/7429-cant-create-launchpad-account-obtain-password-reminder.html)

"Peter Sayer" 11-28-2007 04:20 PM

Can't create launchpad account or obtain password reminder

Hi, I'm a would-be launchpad user, but I can't seem to sign in.

The site keeps telling me it's sent me information about my password
or how to set up an account.

It hasn't!

At least, it's not arriving in my mailbox, and it's not being bounced
or caught by my ISP's spam filters (I get full logs...)

Any idea what's going wrong? I've been trying to create an account
intermittently for about a month.

"Joey Stanford" 11-28-2007 04:33 PM

Can't create launchpad account or obtain password reminder

Hi Peter,

It's possible it's just the internet being slow. :-) However these
emails should arrive quite quickly (within a few short minutes
normally). If you don't get a response by the time you read this
email, please hop on #launchpad on irc.freenode.net and ping me
(Rinchen) or make a general request on the channel and we can trouble
shoot this in real-time.

Thanks,

Joey

On 11/28/07, Peter Sayer <peter.sayer@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a would-be launchpad user, but I can't seem to sign in.
>
> The site keeps telling me it's sent me information about my password
> or how to set up an account.
>
> It hasn't!
>
> At least, it's not arriving in my mailbox, and it's not being bounced
> or caught by my ISP's spam filters (I get full logs...)
>
> Any idea what's going wrong? I've been trying to create an account
> intermittently for about a month.

Office: +1-303-800-6609, Skype: happyhacking, IRC: Rinchen

Christian Robottom Reis 11-28-2007 04:57 PM

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 06:20:34PM +0100, Peter Sayer wrote:
> The site keeps telling me it's sent me information about my password
> or how to set up an account.
>
> It hasn't!
>
> At least, it's not arriving in my mailbox, and it's not being bounced
> or caught by my ISP's spam filters (I get full logs...)

It's being delivered. I checked with our IS department and they said:

Our server tried to mail him at 17:15, it timed out, it tried again
at 17:24 and was delivered to mx-pa-10.pobox.com.

It looks like a problem on your end. You could try registering with
another email address as a workaround, meanwhile.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125

Christian Robottom Reis 11-28-2007 05:12 PM

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:57:06PM -0200, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> It looks like a problem on your end.

And this might imply something general about your SMTP provider:

peter.sayer@pobox.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<peter.sayer@pobox.com>:
Recipient address rejected: country/brazil returned deny:
sender address kiko@async.com.br matches TLD .br (brazil)

Sigh,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125

"Philippe Verdy" 11-28-2007 05:37 PM

De la part de Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> Envoyé*: mercredi 28 novembre 2007 19:12
> À*: Christian Robottom Reis
> Cc*: Peter Sayer; launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
> Objet*: Re: Can't create launchpad account or obtain password reminder
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:57:06PM -0200, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> > It looks like a problem on your end.
>
> And this might imply something general about your SMTP provider:
>
> peter.sayer@pobox.com
> SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
> TO:<peter.sayer@pobox.com>:
> host mx-all.pobox.com [207.106.133.17]: 554 <peter.sayer@pobox.com>:
> Recipient address rejected: country/brazil returned deny:
> sender address kiko@async.com.br matches TLD .br (brazil)

What does it say is only specific to you Christian, because your Brazilian
provider is denied sending any email to pobox.com.

In other words, if you are trying to write to Peter, your email will not
reach him because Pobox.com rejects your sender address. You'll have to
write him using another email provider, from elsewhere than Brazil.

PoBox.com probably does this on the whole Brazilian Internet, due to too
many spasm having reached its network and coming from Brazil; this is quite
stupid to block a whole TLD, because there are certainly very reliable
domains in Brazil that don't send any spam, and there are TONS of .com
domains that are used to send spam and that Pobox.com does not block.
Blocking based on a sender email domain name is probably the worst rule an
SMTP provider should do.

Instead it should base its filters on IP address blocks, or at worst on ASN
numbers; the domain name indicates absolutely nothing about the origin or
location of a sender, or about its spamming or non-spamming status, given
that spammers are operating domain names from ALL the TLDs in the world; it
is even worse that Pobox.com makes some assumption about the sender address,
given that it is definitely not a reliable source of information about the
sender and is almost always forged by real spammers).

So blame stupid Pobox.com that made such really uninformed decision (and
well, Pobox.com is also sending its own share of spams...).

So if you want to write to Peter, try using a large webmail provider (get
one from Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail... There is very little risk that any other
mail provider is blocking them!)

"Peter Sayer" 11-29-2007 06:20 PM

Can't create launchpad account or obtain password reminder

Update:
- I'm in! Inevitably, after N failed attempts to set up an account,
the time I actually come here for help, the password arrived in the
mail two minutes later. We'll never know what ate the other requests
filed over the previous month. Thanks to Joey for checking this time.
- Christian, sorry for blocking your message. The Brazilians I know
are all here in France and have French ISPs, so I had set the Pobox
spam filter to reject mail from .br (and from Korea, Nigeria, and a
few other countries where I knew noone). I've set the filter merely to
flag such mail now.
- Philippe (and anyone else that believes that Pobox is "sending its
own share of spams"): the stupid decision to block mail from .br was
mine, not theirs, and I would be surprised if they are actually
sending spam as you suggest because their SMTP server authenticates
their customers before it will relay mail, and their co-founder Meng
Wong is also one of the originators of the SPF (Sender Policy
Framework) mail authentication protocol. However, that does make them
an excellent target for a reputation attack via fake sender headers
that as you point out are "almost always forged by real spammers".
Thanks for your patience with my clumsy entry to the list and
launchpad. I'll try to find a project I can help quietly with now.