-   -   "Abuse" of Contact User feature (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/202025-abuse-contact-user-feature.html)

"Matthew East" 11-29-2008 12:09 PM

"Abuse" of Contact User feature

Hi,

Over the last couple of days I've had a few direct emails from users
looking for support with Ubuntu which end up in my inbox. They have
been sent through the "Contact user" feature of Launchpad:

"This message was sent by Launchpad via the Contact user/team
link on your profile page. For more information see
https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople"

It's not the end of the world, I will try and set up a filter on these
messages so that they don't end up in my inbox, and then reply to them
when I have time, but I wondered if there anything that can/should be
done to make it clearer that this feature is not for support requests?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

"Martin Pool" 12-01-2008 01:34 AM

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the last couple of days I've had a few direct emails from users
> looking for support with Ubuntu which end up in my inbox. They have
> been sent through the "Contact user" feature of Launchpad:
>
> "This message was sent by Launchpad via the Contact user/team
> link on your profile page. For more information see
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople"
>
> It's not the end of the world, I will try and set up a filter on these
> messages so that they don't end up in my inbox, and then reply to them
> when I have time, but I wondered if there anything that can/should be
> done to make it clearer that this feature is not for support requests?

Other people have seen this. There is also a problem of people
sending mail to large teams.

There is some discussion of limiting it to only people with positive
karma, which is presumed to be people with some idea of how to use the
tools and what is polite.

As I understand it the real purpose of this is to let project admins
contact users who've hidden their mail address.

It might be good to show a message about how to ask for support,
request cds, report problems with Launchpad, etc, before sending a
message.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

"Matthew East" 12-01-2008 05:20 PM

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Over the last couple of days I've had a few direct emails from users
>> looking for support with Ubuntu which end up in my inbox. They have
>> been sent through the "Contact user" feature of Launchpad:
>>
>> "This message was sent by Launchpad via the Contact user/team
>> link on your profile page. For more information see
>> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople"
>>
>> It's not the end of the world, I will try and set up a filter on these
>> messages so that they don't end up in my inbox, and then reply to them
>> when I have time, but I wondered if there anything that can/should be
>> done to make it clearer that this feature is not for support requests?
>
> Other people have seen this. There is also a problem of people
> sending mail to large teams.
>
> There is some discussion of limiting it to only people with positive
> karma, which is presumed to be people with some idea of how to use the
> tools and what is polite.

Perhaps a more principled basis for solving this issue would be to
prevent individuals from emailing a team unless they are the team's
administrator or owner?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Adi Roiban 12-01-2008 06:59 PM

"Abuse" of Contact User feature

Īn data de Lu, 01-12-2008 la 18:20 +0000, Matthew East a scris:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Over the last couple of days I've had a few direct emails from users
> >> looking for support with Ubuntu which end up in my inbox. They have
> >> been sent through the "Contact user" feature of Launchpad:
> >>
> >> "This message was sent by Launchpad via the Contact user/team
> >> link on your profile page. For more information see
> >> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople"
> >>
> >> It's not the end of the world, I will try and set up a filter on these
> >> messages so that they don't end up in my inbox, and then reply to them
> >> when I have time, but I wondered if there anything that can/should be
> >> done to make it clearer that this feature is not for support requests?
> >
> > Other people have seen this. There is also a problem of people
> > sending mail to large teams.
> >
> > There is some discussion of limiting it to only people with positive
> > karma, which is presumed to be people with some idea of how to use the
> > tools and what is polite.
>
> Perhaps a more principled basis for solving this issue would be to
> prevent individuals from emailing a team unless they are the team's
> administrator or owner?
I know that support requests may be annoying but I prefer to be able to
contact other people in Launchpad for the cost of receiving one or two
support requests per week.

I don't know if it's fair to restrict many good intentioned users due to
a bunch of people who don't know how to use the wiki or the forum.

Do you think that a BIG warning explaining people this feature is not
for support requests will not help?

Kindest regards,
Adi

Curtis Hovey 12-01-2008 07:26 PM

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 18:20 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Over the last couple of days I've had a few direct emails from users
> >> looking for support with Ubuntu which end up in my inbox. They have
> >> been sent through the "Contact user" feature of Launchpad:
> >>
> >> "This message was sent by Launchpad via the Contact user/team
> >> link on your profile page. For more information see
> >> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople"
> >>
> >> It's not the end of the world, I will try and set up a filter on these
> >> messages so that they don't end up in my inbox, and then reply to them
> >> when I have time, but I wondered if there anything that can/should be
> >> done to make it clearer that this feature is not for support requests?
> >
> > Other people have seen this. There is also a problem of people
> > sending mail to large teams.
> >
> > There is some discussion of limiting it to only people with positive
> > karma, which is presumed to be people with some idea of how to use the
> > tools and what is polite.
>
> Perhaps a more principled basis for solving this issue would be to
> prevent individuals from emailing a team unless they are the team's
> administrator or owner?

We are discussing this as a option. We may want the behaviour to be
different depending upon the contacter's membership in the team:

a) team member may contact the whole team.
Even if the whole team has a mailing list, not every member will be
subscribed to it.
b) non-team members may contact the team owner.
The owner may choose to reply the email, to delegate it to someone
else.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/

"David Allouche" 12-02-2008 06:53 PM

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 21:26, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@canonical.com> wrote:
> We are discussing this as a option. We may want the behaviour to be
> different depending upon the contacter's membership in the team:
>
> a) team member may contact the whole team.
> Even if the whole team has a mailing list, not every member will be
> subscribed to it.
> b) non-team members may contact the team owner.
> The owner may choose to reply the email, to delegate it to someone
> else.

Please do not make this a single feature with context-sensitive
behaviour, but instead to clearly distinct and unsurprising features.

Contacting the "team admin role" and contacting "all members of the
team" are both useful features, but proving a single interaction with
behavior dependent on the membership of the user in the selected team
is going to cause confusion and grief.

Barry Warsaw 12-02-2008 08:46 PM

"Abuse" of Contact User feature

Barry Warsaw 12-02-2008 09:11 PM

"Abuse" of Contact User feature

Barry Warsaw 12-02-2008 09:13 PM

"Abuse" of Contact User feature

Curtis Hovey 12-03-2008 02:23 AM

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 17:13 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/