-   -   python setup.py sdist -does not include all files under revision (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/200591-python-setup-py-sdist-does-not-include-all-files-under-revision.html)

Jason Gerard DeRose 11-27-2008 01:35 AM

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to make a release and would like to upload tar.gz file to launchpad.
> After some searching I found out that this command should get that done for me:
>
> python setup.py sdist
>
> Unfortunately it does not include all files in the package/ files
> under revision.
>
> I've installed setuptools_bzr in a hope that 'python setup.py sdist'
> would include all the folders I have included in my package.

I've never used setuptools_bzr, but my personal recommendation is to
manually create your MANIFEST.in file... you probably don't want always
to include everything under version control in your sdist package. Often
times you will have certain scripts and whatnot that are handy from
within the checkout, but just don't make sense to include in the sdist
package.

For what it's worth, I've been working on a tool to make it super easy
to go from the bzr branch of a Python project (packaged using
setuptools) to a Debian/Ubuntu package, including building under
pbuilder and uploading to your PPA. For the past 5 months I've been too
busy with my day job to really work on it, but prior to that I made a
decent start. It's called bzr-release:

https://launchpad.net/bzr-release

It's self-hosting so it is itself a good example of how to use it, plus
I have two other projects using it:

https://launchpad.net/pyawesome

https://launchpad.net/snakebite

Please let me know if you happen to be interested in testing/developing
bzr-release... I'm sure some outside interest would help guilt/inspire
me to work on it more. ;)

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Jason DeRose

Martin Pitt 11-27-2008 07:32 AM

python setup.py sdist -does not include all files under revision

Hello Lukasz,

Lukasz Szybalski [2008-11-26 19:21 -0600]:
> python setup.py sdist
>
> Unfortunately it does not include all files in the package/ files
> under revision.

No idea about setuptools_bzr, but Jason already replied to that.

FWIW, I also maintain my own MANIFEST.in, since my project (jockey) creates
some autogenerated files which need to go into the source, too, and doesn't
ship everything in bzr. My "do-release" script has this rule to check that I
didn't forget anything:

# check manifest
./setup.py build
./setup.py sdist -o
./setup.py clean -a
missing=$(for f in `find -type f ! -path '*.bzr*' ! -name '.coverage' ! -name 'MANIFEST*' ! -name do-release ! -name TODO`; do grep -qFx "${f#./}" < MANIFEST || echo $f; done)
if [ -n "$missing" ]; then
echo "MANIFEST is missing the following files:"
echo "$missing"
exit 1;
fi

So for every new file I either need to add it to the find blacklist,
or to MANIFEST.in.

Maybe it helps anyone.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Barry Warsaw 11-27-2008 01:30 PM

python setup.py sdist -does not include all files under revision

"Lukasz Szybalski" 11-28-2008 01:55 PM

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2008, at 3:32 AM, Martin Pitt wrote:
>>
>> Lukasz Szybalski [2008-11-26 19:21 -0600]:
>>> python setup.py sdist
>>>
>>> Unfortunately it does not include all files in the package/ files
>>> under revision.
>>
>> No idea about setuptools_bzr, but Jason already replied to that.
>
> Sorry, I have not been following this thread. If you find bugs in
> setuptools_bzr, please report them here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/setuptoolsbzr
>
> and I'll do my best to fix them. I use it in my own projects, so I'm
> keen on making sure it works properly.

So I search some of the old emails and I found that setuptools reads
.svn stuff if they are there and that is how it knows what to include.
This doesn't seem to work with setuptoolsbzr, I've added a tickiet.

As far as keeping a manifest.in, that seems like a lot of work? What
would be a command on setup.py that would run "put all the files in
manifest.in" and then I could take out what I don't want. Currently I
want all the files in, things change a lot so keeping track manually
would not be an option.

Thanks,
Lucas

"Jacob Peddicord" 11-28-2008 03:00 PM

python setup.py sdist -does not include all files under revision

Your MANIFEST.in could look like this:

recursive-include *
prune not-this-file.htm
prunt or-this-one.txt