Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
"Chris Garcia"

Default launchpad registration broken

I'm not receiving a confirmation email from Launchpad when I register. I've tried twice, I'm using gmail, I've checked my spam folder, and it's been a few hours.

Chris

Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Curtis Hovey

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 14:45 -0800, Chris Garcia wrote:
> I'm not receiving a confirmation email from Launchpad when I register.
> I've tried twice, I'm using gmail, I've checked my spam folder, and
> it's been a few hours.

I just tested Launchpad. It is sending emails. I used a non-gmail
address.

Launchpad uses x-headers to mark the origin and intent of its messages
to simply mail filtering and tracking, but I do not think gmail supports
this kind of filtering.

I believe the message will be from

Login Service <noreply@launchpad.net>

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
"Chris Garcia"

Okay. We're talking about gmail here. You're telling me I can't use gmail with Launchpad?* Because of some x-headers? Thank you, Curtis. I appreciate your letting me know what's going on. I'm going to go process that, and when the time is right, I'm going to create another email address, point it at my gmail account, and start participating in Launchpad. But right now I can't because I'm just dumbfounded.

Chris

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@canonical.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 14:45 -0800, Chris Garcia wrote:

> I'm not receiving a confirmation email from Launchpad when I register.

> I've tried twice, I'm using gmail, I've checked my spam folder, and

> it's been a few hours.

I just tested Launchpad. It is sending emails. I used a non-gmail

address.

Launchpad uses x-headers to mark the origin and intent of its messages

to simply mail filtering and tracking, but I do not think gmail supports

this kind of filtering.

* * * *X-Generated-By: Launchpad (canonical.com); Revision="7316";

* * * * Instance="launchpad-lazr.conf"

I believe the message will be from

* * * *Login Service <noreply@launchpad.net>

--

__Curtis C. Hovey_________

http://launchpad.net/

--
"The Brescian monk, Francesco de Lana-Terzi, was the first person to unambiguously propose that human ascent could be achieved by using the lighter-than-air principle. However, he made no attempt to construct his 'flying boat' -- literally a wooden boat designed to be lifted by four hollow spherical vessels. Instead of floating in air, de Lana became filled with inner heaviness. He believed his application was immoral and would be prevented by the Creator." --Graham Dorrington

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Terence Simpson

Chris Garcia wrote:
> Okay. We're talking about gmail here. You're telling me I can't use
> gmail with Launchpad? Because of some x-headers? Thank you, Curtis. I
> appreciate your letting me know what's going on. I'm going to go
> process that, and when the time is right, I'm going to create another
> email address, point it at my gmail account, and start participating
> in Launchpad. But right now I can't because I'm just dumbfounded.
>
> Chris

I'm not sure Google Mail supports filtering with the headers, but it can
still receive mail from Launchpad. I use GMail/POP with Launchpad just fine.

Terence

Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 01:23 +0000, Terence Simpson wrote:
> Chris Garcia wrote:
> > Okay. We're talking about gmail here. You're telling me I can't use
> > gmail with Launchpad? Because of some x-headers? Thank you, Curtis. I
> > appreciate your letting me know what's going on. I'm going to go
> > process that, and when the time is right, I'm going to create another
> > email address, point it at my gmail account, and start participating
> > in Launchpad. But right now I can't because I'm just dumbfounded.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> I'm not sure Google Mail supports filtering with the headers, but it can
> still receive mail from Launchpad. I use GMail/POP with Launchpad just fine.
>
> Terence

Right. GMail can't filter it, but it doesn't flat-out reject the mails.
Chris was being sarcastic, I think, because Curtis's suggestion didn't
make any sense at all.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 AM
"matt donovan"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 01:23 +0000, Terence Simpson wrote:

> Chris Garcia wrote:

> > Okay. We're talking about gmail here. You're telling me I can't use

> > gmail with Launchpad? *Because of some x-headers? Thank you, Curtis. I

> > appreciate your letting me know what's going on. I'm going to go

> > process that, and when the time is right, I'm going to create another

> > email address, point it at my gmail account, and start participating

> > in Launchpad. But right now I can't because I'm just dumbfounded.

> > Chris

> I'm not sure Google Mail supports filtering with the headers, but it can

> still receive mail from Launchpad. I use GMail/POP with Launchpad just fine.

> Terence

Right. *GMail can't filter it, but it doesn't flat-out reject the mails.

Chris was being sarcastic, I think, because Curtis's suggestion didn't

make any sense at all.

--

Mackenzie Morgan

apt-get moo

Gmail sometiems takes many hours almost a day for some emails to go though. I found this out by actually subscribed to many email lists.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Curtis Hovey

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 12:47 -0800, Chris Garcia wrote:
> Okay. We're talking about gmail here. You're telling me I can't use
> gmail with Launchpad? Because of some x-headers? Thank you, Curtis. I
> appreciate your letting me know what's going on. I'm going to go
> process that, and when the time is right, I'm going to create another
> email address, point it at my gmail account, and start participating
> in Launchpad. But right now I can't because I'm just dumbfounded.

That is not I meant. You can use gmail as many user do. Gmail is not the
idea mail app (though it may be the ideal data cloud). I think you need
to be patient. I got my reply from launchpad in less than two minutes,
so I am certain Launchpad is working well. Gmail has a reputation of
being slow with list mail.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 AM
"Chris Garcia"

Well, thanks everyone, for trying to help. I still haven't heard from Launchpad. I wanted to thank Valentin Neacsu for his touchpad bug fix (Bug #133060) and also mention that his directions don't make sense to a newcomer unless you start in the root directory. I started in my home folder which the terminal defaults to and it took me a while to figure out why things weren't working. But otherwise the directions were perfect and when I finally completed them my touchpad worked perfectly. Like others, this touchpad issue was almost a deal breaker for me. I'm happy to put it behind me. Valentin, if you're on this list, thank you. If not, possibly someone could pass this message on.

Chris