-   -   Packaging for several ubuntu version (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/193259-packaging-several-ubuntu-version.html)

Andoni Morales Alastruey 11-14-2008 12:42 AM

Packaging for several ubuntu version

Hi,
I want to know wich is the default behaviour to package an app for
several Ubuntu versions.
Im trying to package my app both for Hardy and Intrepid. I first
"dbuild" my app for hardy using "longomatch (0.8.0) hardy; urgency=low"
in the the debian/Changelog and i send it using dput to my ppa.
Then I "debuild" for intrepid setting "longomatch (0.8.0) intrepid;
urgency=low" in the the debian/Changelog and I try to send it to my ppa
but, of course, i get an error telling that I already sent it:
Already uploaded to ppa.launchpad.net

Thanks,
--
Andoni Morales Alastruey <ylatuya@gmail.com>

Martin Pitt 11-14-2008 10:31 AM

Packaging for several ubuntu version

Andoni Morales Alastruey [2008-11-14 2:42 +0100]:
> Hi,
> I want to know wich is the default behaviour to package an app for
> several Ubuntu versions.
> Im trying to package my app both for Hardy and Intrepid. I first
> "dbuild" my app for hardy using "longomatch (0.8.0) hardy; urgency=low"
> in the the debian/Changelog and i send it using dput to my ppa.
> Then I "debuild" for intrepid setting "longomatch (0.8.0) intrepid;
> urgency=low" in the the debian/Changelog and I try to send it to my ppa
> but, of course, i get an error telling that I already sent it:
> Already uploaded to ppa.launchpad.net

Since the binaries will differ for different releases, and we have a
/pool structure with shared debs for all releases, this doesn't work.
You need to use different release numbers for different uploads.

A common scheme is:

0.8.0 for the development release (jaunty)
0.8.0~intrepid1 for a backport/build in intrepid
0.8.0~hardy1 for a backport/build in hardy

"~" is a special operator which means "smaller than the version before
it", i. e. it is predestined for backports. Version numbers in earlier
releases must always be lower or equal than the ones in later releases.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

"Pau Garcia i Quiles" 11-14-2008 10:37 AM

Packaging for several ubuntu version

Hi Martin,

What Andoni asks would work if Launchpad bug #235064 would be fixed:

"Implement multi-release support for packages"
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/235064

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org