Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
shirish

Default exposing me too to users?

Hi all,
What do you guys think of exposing the me too to users as well. I'm
sure this has some bearing on the gravity of the bug (if its used by
many people and also being reported by many people as well)
Network-Manager and/or Pulseaudio are two high-profile examples of the
recent past.

The benefit to the user would be he wouldn't feel isolated. The idea
afai understand of having me too is that the signal-to-noise ratio
which is high comes down.

What or how do you guys about the same? Looking forward to comments,
suggestions and improvements to the same.
Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Sarah Hobbs

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> What do you mean by "exposing the me too to users"? In what way is it
> not exposed already?

It's not exposed, as in, no one can see how many people have said it
effects them. At the moment, it's a useless button. However, I recall
the launchpad guys saying they did plan to show some statistical data
based on it, at some time in the future.

Hobbsee

Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 AM
"Tom Berger"

2008/11/13 Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee@ubuntu.com>:
> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "exposing the me too to users"? In what way is it
>> not exposed already?
>
> It's not exposed, as in, no one can see how many people have said it
> effects them. At the moment, it's a useless button. However, I recall
> the launchpad guys saying they did plan to show some statistical data
> based on it, at some time in the future.

Yes, we are working on using the data collected from this entry to
display statistics about bugs.

Tom

Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
"Jacob Peddicord"

Any chance of having it moved (or added) to a more visible location to those most likely to post a "me too," such as above the comment submit buttons? Then it would be _really_ useful in gathering stats, as I'm still seeing a few +1 comments every now and then.

Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net
jpeddicord@ubuntu.com
jacob@fosswire.com

Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
"Matthew Revell"

2008/11/13 Tom Berger <tom.berger@canonical.com>:
> 2008/11/13 Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee@ubuntu.com>:
>> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "exposing the me too to users"? In what way is it
>>> not exposed already?
>>
>> It's not exposed, as in, no one can see how many people have said it
>> effects them. At the moment, it's a useless button. However, I recall
>> the launchpad guys saying they did plan to show some statistical data
>> based on it, at some time in the future.
>
> Yes, we are working on using the data collected from this entry to
> display statistics about bugs.

Suggestions for how you'd like to use/see that data are very welcome

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Sarah Hobbs

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Suggestions for how you'd like to use/see that data are very welcome

Raw numbers, for a start, would be great.

Apart from that, an indication of how much it's affecting the userbase
would be nice - but I think the only way we can do that at the moment is
by popcon, which isn't set up to report data by default. It also looks
like popcon isn't overly userly friendly at the moment, but perhaps
integrating it with that (as in, X people have this bug, where Y people
an idea

Hobbsee

Old 11-15-2008, 05:04 AM
shirish

Hi all,
I would be just happy with having raw numbers of people who have the same bug.

The reason people put up something (noise) is to make others know that
they too are affected and its not an isolated or single occurence of
the bug. When we have raw numbers atleast as a user I come to know :-

a. Its nothing I as a user did something wrong AND
b. Its not due to the hardware I have at my end

both of which may or may not be true but it gives some sort of
consolation to the user.

Also for bug-triagers if they can short-list bugs based on severity as
well as number of people affected it should make some difference for
the distro.

Also if bugs are filed upstream it always is better to give numbers
saying x number of users are affected by this so upstream if nothing
else would atleast respond.

Just my 2 paise

Comments, suggestions, improvements to the same are welcome

Old 11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Gavin Panella

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:34:00 +0530
shirish <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would be just happy with having raw numbers of people who have the
> same bug.

Hi shirish,

If you're a user of the Launchpad API then you can get hold of these
numbers as the users_affected_count and users_unaffected_count
properties of a bug.

When using launchpadlib that translates to something like:

>>> from launchpadlib.launchpad import (
... Launchpad, EDGE_SERVICE_ROOT)
>>> launchpad = Launchpad.get_token_and_login(
... 'just testing', EDGE_SERVICE_ROOT)
>>> bug = launchpad.bugs[297158]
>>> bug.users_affected_count
1