-   -   Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/192312-important-launchpad-news-removal-non-bsd-licenced-translations.html)

Danilo Šegan 11-12-2008 04:21 PM

Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations

Hello,

Removing non-BSD licensed translations from Launchpad

On Tuesday, November 18th at around 14.00 UTC we are going to
remove all the translations made in Launchpad by people who have
chosen not to relicense their translations under the BSD license.

There's more about why we now require that translations are
licensed under the BSD here:

https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LicensingFAQ

If you have previously disagreed with license terms, you may have
seent hat you can no longer edit translations in Launchpad.
Instead you get read-only access.

Once we remove the translations made by people who have explicitly
disagreed with the licensing change, all Launchpad-provided
translations will be available to share and re-use in the maximum
number of other projects.

Upstream translations appearing in suggestions are clearly marked with
warning icons explaining how you can determine if a translation is
legally reusable or not. They are not affected by the removal.

Cheers,
Danilo

Peter Clifton 11-14-2008 01:32 PM

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 18:21 +0100, Danilo *egan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Removing non-BSD licensed translations from Launchpad
>
> On Tuesday, November 18th at around 14.00 UTC we are going to
> remove all the translations made in Launchpad by people who have
> chosen not to relicense their translations under the BSD license.

What about people who haven't answered the question yet.. is there going
to be a mail-out to those translators, or the administrators of the
projects concerned?

What I don't want to see, is translations being lost in our (or other)
projects because a Translator hasn't logged in recently, or hasn't seen
this message - or is otherwise out of communication.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,
9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
Cambridge
CB3 0FA

Danilo Šegan 11-14-2008 01:57 PM

Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations

Hi Peter,

У пет, 14. 11 2008. у 14:32 +0000, Peter Clifton пише:
> What about people who haven't answered the question yet.. is there
> going to be a mail-out to those translators, or the administrators of
> the projects concerned?

Those translations will be kept. In general, previous license agreement
assigned all translations to Canonical as well (at least that's what the
terms of use said: not everybody was aware of that which is why we've
also made the agreement explicit a few months back), allowing Canonical
to do such a migration without asking people directly about it, but
we've decided to give people choice if they are strongly against it.

> What I don't want to see, is translations being lost in our (or other)
> projects because a Translator hasn't logged in recently, or hasn't
> seen this message - or is otherwise out of communication.

No need to worry—that won't happen.

Cheers,
Danilo

Peter Clifton 11-14-2008 02:26 PM

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 15:57 +0100, Danilo *egan wrote:

> > What I don't want to see, is translations being lost in our (or other)
> > projects because a Translator hasn't logged in recently, or hasn't
> > seen this message - or is otherwise out of communication.
>
> No need to worry—that won't happen.

Great, thanks for the clarification.

Best wishes,

Adi Roiban 11-18-2008 08:04 AM

Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations

În data de Vi, 14-11-2008 la 15:57 +0100, Danilo *egan a scris:
> Hi Peter,

[snip]
> > What I don't want to see, is translations being lost in our (or other)
> > projects because a Translator hasn't logged in recently, or hasn't
> > seen this message - or is otherwise out of communication.
>
> No need to worry—that won't happen.
>
> Cheers,
> Danilo

Is there a way to notify each person contribution to Launchpad
translations to update his/her licence?

For Romania there are about 120 contributors and I did not have time to
contact each translator. Few of them have update their license, but they
did that not because they don't want to, but because the were not aware
of that.

If they will update the licence next week, will be theirs translation
put back in use?

--
Adi Roiban

Milo Casagrande 11-18-2008 08:23 AM

--- Mar 18/11/08, Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro> ha scritto:
> Is there a way to notify each person contribution to
> Launchpad
> translations to update his/her licence?
>
> For Romania there are about 120 contributors and I did not
> have time to
> contact each translator.

Aren't all of them subscribed to a mailing list? If so, that's the easiest way you can contact them at once...

> Few of them have update their
> license, but they
> did that not because they don't want to, but because
> the were not aware
> of that.

IIRC, there was a kind of silence-assent. If they have done nothing, they accepted the license and their translations should be safe.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo_casagrande@yahoo.it>

Unisciti alla community di Io fotografo e video, il nuovo corso di fotografia di Gazzetta dello sport:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/iofotografoevideo

Danilo Šegan 11-18-2008 08:38 AM

Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations

Hi Adi,

У уто, 18. 11 2008. у 11:04 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:

> Is there a way to notify each person contribution to Launchpad
> translations to update his/her licence?

No, not at the moment.

> For Romania there are about 120 contributors and I did not have time
> to contact each translator. Few of them have update their license, but
> they did that not because they don't want to, but because the were not
> aware of that.

There is nobody from ubuntu-l10n-ro team that decided to not license
their translations.

> If they will update the licence next week, will be theirs translation
> put back in use?

No, this is giving us a clean state from the point we remove
"non-complying" translations. This has been widely announced and
discussed since June 2008, and that should have been enough time for
people to make their own choices (and the last few months they were
unable to edit translations in Launchpad unless they agreed to the new
license terms, so it would be obvious for anyone coming to Launchpad in
the last 5 months).

Cheers,
Danilo

Danilo Šegan 11-18-2008 03:07 PM

Important Launchpad news: removal of non-BSD licenced translations

Hi all,

У сре, 12. 11 2008. у 18:21 +0100, Danilo *egan пише:
> Hello,
>
> Removing non-BSD licensed translations from Launchpad
>
> On Tuesday, November 18th at around 14.00 UTC we are going to

We've moved the removal to right after the Launchpad 2.1.11 rollout due
to some internal issues. That means it will likely be done late
tomorrow (November 19th) or early on November 20th.