-   -   Launchpad version numbers - are they useful? (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/191566-launchpad-version-numbers-they-useful.html)

"Matthew Revell" 11-11-2008 01:46 PM

Launchpad version numbers - are they useful?

Hi all,

When we're working on Launchpad, we think in terms of version numbers.
So, right now we're working towards Launchpad 2.1.11. That's useful
for us.

However, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we shouldn't mention
these version numbers much in Launchpad release announcements as, to
my mind, they offer no value.

So, rather than putting the version number up-front in the subject
line etc, I might just use it at the bottom of the announcement to
link to the full milestone details.

What do you guys think?

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

Stephan Hermann 11-11-2008 01:59 PM

Launchpad version numbers - are they useful?

Hi,

regarding Launchpad as Webapplication, I don't think it matters to
mention the version number.

Regarding launchpad as api, it matters somehow...but it would be good to
have the version number somehow in an api (json) call exposed.

Regards,

sh