FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Launchpad User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Adi Roiban
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

Hi,

As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.

My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
hands.

Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
team of doing localizations for other projects.

My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
or any other generic name.

Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
Launchpad Translators.

I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
Rosetta.

I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
free software project.

I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
useful.

Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
register their project on Launchpad.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
--
Adi Roiban


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Adi Roiban
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

n data de Du, 26-10-2008 la 10:00 +0200, Timo Jyrinki a scris:
> 2008/10/26 Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro>:
> > Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> > translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> > software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> > Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> > Launchpad Translators.
>
> Just as a quick note. Ubuntu Translators are groups which only work
> under Ubuntu project, in Launchpad under https://launchpad.net/ubuntu.
> They have no special rights elsewhere in Launchpad, and there are no
> Launchpad-wide translation groups.
Ubuntu Tranlators have translations right for many other projects, not only Ubuntu.
(ex. Gnome DO https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/do


> If there would be eg. Fedora in Lauchpad, it would be at
> https://launchpad.net/fedora, and it would have its own translation
> groups. It's the same for any project using Launchpad for
> translations, https://launchpad.net/transmission, except for that many
> smaller projects unfortunately do not have teams established and allow
> anyone to change translations.
* Maybe Fedora was not a good example, but in Launchpad we have right now
8739 [1] projects and 415 [2] of them ar translatable.

If I am an active translator I would like to be able to translate all
projects in Launchpad and then I will have to join 415 groups.
Is someone from this group happy to join that amoung of groups?

* Only Ubuntu Translator has 192 teams for each language.

415 projects * 192 languages = 79680 groups

I see this as an administrative bargain.


> I think it should be (about) like this, since one can join multiple
> translation groups and a successful background in other translation
> groups should allow joining to be also more easy. It's not like GNOME
> translators should automatically be allowed to join KDE translators
> (if both projects were using Launchpad), since the terminology differs
> and the projects might have different QA processes etc.

> -Timo
>
Why would GNOME Do needs to set up their own translation team. It is a
small project and it's maintainer want to allocate his time for
developing the project and not creating and assigning new translation
groups.

What is wrong with GNOME Do assigning Ubuntu Translators as it's
translations group?

In Launchpad there are many small projects and theirs developers are not
very concerned about localization. They want to have their application
translated in other languages but they are not happy to spend to much
time with setting up translations groups.

Having a well established and trusted Launchpad Translators group will
enable project coordinators to make their application available in other
language with just a few clicks.

This is my point of view as an active translator using Launchpad and
coordinator or Ubuntu Romanian localization team.

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/projects/+all
[2]
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/translations/+products-with-translations
--
Adi Roiban


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 AM
"Thor Marius K.H."
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

Hello,

Although I mostly agree, there might be some additional point of views. As you mentioned, some launchpad users don't want to join your team because it has the name Ubuntu in it. However, I believe that this is also the case the other way around. Some translators only want to join the group because they are interested in translating Ubuntu and nothing else, and thus assigning them as launchpad wide translators might be a little of the edge.


I can't speak of those who wouldn't want to join launchpad-l10n-*, but perhaps it would be good to check if it is the other way around as well?

Again, apart from such possibilities I see this could be a great improvement in making launchpad more neutral (as it is no secret that many think launchpad is too closely tied to Ubuntu).


Regards, --
Thor Marius K.H
http://nitrolinken.net



On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:48, Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro> wrote:

Hi,



As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the

team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu

distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.



My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a

group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent

project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member

and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good

hands.



Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has

Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the

team of doing localizations for other projects.



My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro

or any other generic name.



Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to

translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free

software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to

Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to

Launchpad Translators.



I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of

separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages

but we are an open group interested in translating any project using

Rosetta.



I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a

free software project.



I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the

bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a

Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer

useful.



Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not

only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to

register their project on Launchpad.



What do you think?



Kind regards,

--

Adi Roiban





--

launchpad-users mailing list

launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users



--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Danilo Šegan
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

Hi Adi,

У нед, 26. 10 2008. у 09:48 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:

> As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
> team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
> distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.
>
> My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
> group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
> project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
> and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
> hands.

It's a very noble goal

> Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
> Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
> team of doing localizations for other projects.
>
> My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
> or any other generic name.

There are different ways to achieve this. For example, you may create a
launchpad-l10n-ro team and include ubuntu-l10n-ro team in it, with
direct memberships only to those not interested in working on Ubuntu.

So, you'd basically have

launchpad-l10n-ro: Romanian Translation Team
- ubuntu-l10n-ro: Ubuntu translators
- someone else 1
- someone else 2
...

> Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> Launchpad Translators.

Actually, they are likely to want to have their own fedora-l10n-ro which
you might want to include in launchpad-l10n-ro instead. At least in my
opinion.

> I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
> separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
> but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
> Rosetta.

That's true. But, I feel there is nothing wrong with this, as long as
the Ubuntu translator groups has enough credibility.

And actually, if we want to go with creating actually trusted Launchpad
translation groups, we should do it separately from Ubuntu. In general,
they would include Ubuntu translation groups, but not always. They
could also include teams of eg. upstream GNOME translators, and similar.

> I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
> free software project.

There is a lot of sense in organizing Launchpad translations groups.
However, I believe this is orthogonal to Ubuntu translation effort and
their organization. I.e. we still want to have them as separate teams,
if only because of being able to separate who's involved in Ubuntu and
who isn't.

> I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
> bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
> Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
> useful.

Yeah, but teams can be included as subteams inside other teams, and I
believe we should make use of this flexibility.

> Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
> only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
> register their project on Launchpad.
>
> What do you think?

I agree. So, what do you think about having Launchpad team which was
separate from Ubuntu teams, but could, of course, include Ubuntu
translators as well?

And considering how much you've been helping with Translations for a
while already (thanks!), I am wondering if you'd be willing to help run
that team? (it's all only discussion right now, but I find it an
appealing idea)

Cheers,
Danilo


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Adi Roiban
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

n data de Du, 26-10-2008 la 11:27 +0100, Thor Marius K.H. a scris:
> Hello,
>
> Although I mostly agree, there might be some additional point of
> views. As you mentioned, some launchpad users don't want to join your
> team because it has the name Ubuntu in it. However, I believe that
> this is also the case the other way around. Some translators only want
> to join the group because they are interested in translating Ubuntu
> and nothing else, and thus assigning them as launchpad wide
> translators might be a little of the edge.

The main idea is to create a group of trusted translators and if the
coordinator of a project is in doubt with assigning translation
permission he/she could use this group.

In launchpad I can see this entities listed here as "Translation teams"
but at least for Romania there is also a person listed.
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/+languages/ro


> I can't speak of those who wouldn't want to join launchpad-l10n-*, but
> perhaps it would be good to check if it is the other way around as
> well?

That is true. I have also an impartial view over this change and I am
happy to read others opinion.

> Again, apart from such possibilities I see this could be a great
> improvement in making launchpad more neutral (as it is no secret that
> many think launchpad is too closely tied to Ubuntu).

I agree!


> Regards,
> --
> Thor Marius K.H
> http://nitrolinken.net
>
>
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:48, Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy
> to see the
> team growing and team members start working at translating the
> Ubuntu
> distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from
> Launchpad.
>
> My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build
> it as a
> group of people with good localization skils and any new or
> existent
> project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust
> it's member
> and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian
> on good
> hands.
>
> Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team
> has
> Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from
> joining the
> team of doing localizations for other projects.
>
> My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to
> launchpad-l10n-ro
> or any other generic name.
>
> Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would
> like to
> translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be
> free
> software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the
> localization to
> Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning
> to
> Launchpad Translators.
>
> I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group
> of
> separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our
> languages
> but we are an open group interested in translating any project
> using
> Rosetta.
>
> I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad
> will be a
> free software project.
>
> I like Launchpad because people work together in the same
> place, the
> bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we
> will have a
> Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no
> longer
> useful.
>
> Having strong and active localizations team, willing to
> translate not
> only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for
> people to
> register their project on Launchpad.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Adi Roiban
>
>
> --
> launchpad-users mailing list
> launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
>
--
Adi Roiban


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Danilo Šegan
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

Hi Adi,

У нед, 26. 10 2008. у 09:48 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:

> As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
> team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
> distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.
>
> My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
> group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
> project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
> and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
> hands.

It's a very noble goal

> Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
> Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
> team of doing localizations for other projects.
>
> My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
> or any other generic name.

There are different ways to achieve this. For example, you may create a
launchpad-l10n-ro team and include ubuntu-l10n-ro team in it, with
direct memberships only to those not interested in working on Ubuntu.

So, you'd basically have

launchpad-l10n-ro: Romanian Translation Team
- ubuntu-l10n-ro: Ubuntu translators
- someone else 1
- someone else 2
...

> Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> Launchpad Translators.

Actually, they are likely to want to have their own fedora-l10n-ro which
you might want to include in launchpad-l10n-ro instead. At least in my
opinion.

> I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
> separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
> but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
> Rosetta.

That's true. But, I feel there is nothing wrong with this, as long as
the Ubuntu translator groups has enough credibility.

And actually, if we want to go with creating actually trusted Launchpad
translation groups, we should do it separately from Ubuntu. In general,
they would include Ubuntu translation groups, but not always. They
could also include teams of eg. upstream GNOME translators, and similar.

> I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
> free software project.

There is a lot of sense in organizing Launchpad translations groups.
However, I believe this is orthogonal to Ubuntu translation effort and
their organization. I.e. we still want to have them as separate teams,
if only because of being able to separate who's involved in Ubuntu and
who isn't.

> I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
> bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
> Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
> useful.

Yeah, but teams can be included as subteams inside other teams, and I
believe we should make use of this flexibility.

> Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
> only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
> register their project on Launchpad.
>
> What do you think?

I agree. So, what do you think about having Launchpad team which was
separate from Ubuntu teams, but could, of course, include Ubuntu
translators as well?

And considering how much you've been helping with Translations for a
while already (thanks!), I am wondering if you'd be willing to help run
that team? (it's all only discussion right now, but I find it an
appealing idea)

Cheers,
Danilo


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Adi Roiban
 
Default renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

În data de Lu, 27-10-2008 la 11:28 +0100, Danilo *egan a scris:
> Hi Adi,
>
> У нед, 26. 10 2008. у 09:48 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:
>
> > As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
> > team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
> > distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.
> >
> > My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
> > group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
> > project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
> > and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
> > hands.
>
> It's a very noble goal
>
> > Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
> > Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
> > team of doing localizations for other projects.
> >
> > My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
> > or any other generic name.
>
> There are different ways to achieve this. For example, you may create a
> launchpad-l10n-ro team and include ubuntu-l10n-ro team in it, with
> direct memberships only to those not interested in working on Ubuntu.
>
> So, you'd basically have
>
> launchpad-l10n-ro: Romanian Translation Team
> - ubuntu-l10n-ro: Ubuntu translators
> - someone else 1
> - someone else 2
> ...
Thanks for this suggestion.
This can solve the problem for Romanian translation team.

> > Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> > translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> > software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> > Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> > Launchpad Translators.
>
> Actually, they are likely to want to have their own fedora-l10n-ro which
> you might want to include in launchpad-l10n-ro instead. At least in my
> opinion.
At least for Romanian teams I don't think they will want their own
fedora-l10n-ro, they will be happy with any distro neutral team.
I am very good relations with Romanian Fedora, Mozilla, OpenOffice and
Gnome translation coordinators.

Fedora guys are not using Launchpad because it is not free software and
as far as I know there is no option for RPM lang-packs.
They also tried Launchpad by the time Rosetta had huge upload and
download delays and very frequent timeouts.

> > I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
> > separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
> > but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
> > Rosetta.
>
> That's true. But, I feel there is nothing wrong with this, as long as
> the Ubuntu translator groups has enough credibility.
> And actually, if we want to go with creating actually trusted Launchpad
> translation groups, we should do it separately from Ubuntu. In general,
> they would include Ubuntu translation groups, but not always. They
> could also include teams of eg. upstream GNOME translators, and similar.
Agree.
Renaming ubuntu-translators is not a good option.
I would be happy to see a new launchpad-translators group that will
include lauchpad-l10n-LANG team, and each language team will include the
Ubuntu-l10n-LANG to give an intial boots to ubuntu-translators.

> > I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
> > free software project.
>
> There is a lot of sense in organizing Launchpad translations groups.
> However, I believe this is orthogonal to Ubuntu translation effort and
> their organization. I.e. we still want to have them as separate teams,
> if only because of being able to separate who's involved in Ubuntu and
> who isn't.
I am happy with a disting launchpad-translators, as long as
launchpad-translators has a wider language and project coverage than
ubuntu-translators.

> > I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
> > bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
> > Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
> > useful.
>
> Yeah, but teams can be included as subteams inside other teams, and I
> believe we should make use of this flexibility.

I didn't know about this feature of Launchpad, but we should use it's flexibility.

> > Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
> > only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
> > register their project on Launchpad.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I agree. So, what do you think about having Launchpad team which was
> separate from Ubuntu teams, but could, of course, include Ubuntu
> translators as well?
I would be happy to have them.

> And considering how much you've been helping with Translations for a
> while already (thanks!), I am wondering if you'd be willing to help run
> that team? (it's all only discussion right now, but I find it an
> appealing idea)
I would be happy to run the launchpad-translators team and to advocate it's
usage among Launchpad users and projects.


> Cheers,
> Danilo
>
--
Adi Roiban


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org