-   -   simple deffective link problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/176059-simple-deffective-link-problem.html)

"Matthew Revell" 10-14-2008 01:17 PM

simple deffective link problem

Hi Fernando,

2008/10/14 Fernando <my.lists@f123.org>:
> Hi, I am not sure if this is the place to bring up the simplest of problems,
> but when clicking on "Brazilian Portuguese" on page:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/
>
> I was taken to a page with "Programs you can translate into Bengali"

Thanks for letting us know. I've tried a few times and I can't
replicate this. Could you try again?

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

"Fernando" 10-14-2008 02:26 PM

simple deffective link problem

Strange, really strange. I tried it two or three times yesterday and had
the problem I described. Now it works fine.

I am sorry, I don't understand what happened.

Thanks though.

Jeroen Vermeulen 10-15-2008 11:53 AM

Fernando wrote:
> Strange, really strange. I tried it two or three times yesterday and had
> the problem I described. Now it works fine.
>
> I am sorry, I don't understand what happened.

There's no way of knowing whether it's the same thing, but I sometimes
see a very unexpected problem that can cause similar effects: I
middle-click in my browser and somehow it seems to be interpreted as
rotating the mouse wheel and _then_ middle-clicking. The result: every
time I try, I consistently open the same, wrong page.

I forget why, but at some point I became convinced that it was not the
mouse itself that caused the problem. Most likely reason is that I
tried with my laptop's wheel-less button, but not sure. I haven't seen
the problem in a while, so could be a bug fix or maybe disabling mouse
gestures.

Again, not saying this is necessarily the same problem, but Bengali and
Brazilian Portuguese are about the right distance apart on the page.

Jeroen

"Fernando" 10-16-2008 12:50 AM

simple deffective link problem

Well, not sure if this makes any difference, given that it is a simple
link... : I am blind and use a screen reader called Jaws, a fairly old
version since I am migrating to FOSS solutions. So if there is some
complexity in the way the links are defined or displayed, this could
conceivably cause the screen reader or some accessibility hook, like MSAA,
to misdirect my clicking? Not sure if any of this is valid since I do not
know enough, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for the help with this. I found the page now, and if the bug only
causes problems once in a blue moon, well, there are bigger fish to fry out
there.

Jeroen Vermeulen 10-16-2008 08:14 AM

Fernando wrote:
> Well, not sure if this makes any difference, given that it is a simple
> link... : I am blind and use a screen reader called Jaws, a fairly old
> version since I am migrating to FOSS solutions. So if there is some
> complexity in the way the links are defined or displayed, this could
> conceivably cause the screen reader or some accessibility hook, like MSAA,
> to misdirect my clicking? Not sure if any of this is valid since I do not
> know enough, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Probably not. The links are plain HTML. Nothing special about the we
way they're generated either. A real mystery!

Jeroen