-   -   Improving the Launchpad tour - your input (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/166194-improving-launchpad-tour-your-input.html)

"Matthew Revell" 09-25-2008 03:20 PM

Improving the Launchpad tour - your input

Howdy,

Improving the Launchpad tour
-----------------------------

I'm collecting ideas for how we can improve the Launchpad tour.

If you haven't already seen it, you can find it here:

https://launchpad.net/+tour/index

If you've got a moment, tell me what you think. In particular:

* Have we got the level of detail right? Or are we leaving out
chunks of background info?
* Are we talking to the right people? At the moment, it's aimed
at experienced free software people. Is that right?
* Do the images work?
* How do you reckon we can improve the layout?

Feel free to reply here, mail me privately or ping me (mrevell
on Freenode).

Cheers,

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

"Kent Tenney" 09-25-2008 04:51 PM

Improving the Launchpad tour - your input

A few reactions, inline comments below.

I'd like to see a table of contents for the tour.
-found it, flashy thing when hovering 'Next'
- I would like the pages listed on the left, seems to be room

no 'Prev' equivalent to 'Next', must hover upper 'Next' ...

On the bugs page, possibly a link to a live bug.
Same idea with other pages, link to a live example when possible.
The screenshots are fine, but don't offer exploration.

A link to Bazaar documentation on the 'Welcome to the Bazaar' page
- something like 'Introduction to Bazaar'

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@canonical.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Improving the Launchpad tour
> -----------------------------
>
> I'm collecting ideas for how we can improve the Launchpad tour.
>
> If you haven't already seen it, you can find it here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/+tour/index
>
> If you've got a moment, tell me what you think. In particular:
>
> * Have we got the level of detail right? Or are we leaving out
> chunks of background info?

I think leaving out chunks is appropriate for this, links to detail
might be enjoyed.

> * Are we talking to the right people? At the moment, it's aimed
> at experienced free software people. Is that right?

The goal seems "Check out the exciting potential in a couple minutes", which
can target a broad audience, and it succeeds well with that.

Experienced devs may want to drill down.
Links to live examples which can be played with will appeal to them.

> * Do the images work?

I read "Do the images work?" the same I'd read "Do the words work?"

I think images are as important as words. The tour is definately improved by use
of images. As images are used more in explanations, we will learn how
to increase
their effectiveness.

Of the images in the top pane, I fine the 'Building Community' one to
be least helpful.

Thanks,
Kent

> * How do you reckon we can improve the layout?

Not sure. I like layout reflecting some element of flow, I don't
recognize a flow element here, but it probably exists.

I'm currently considering flow to consist of workflow, toolchain and timeline.
I guess each of these elements live in a more detailed
explanation. This is maybe not so much a guided tour as a promotional
brochure with snapshots of the scenic locations. As such layout needs only
to be easy to look at, it is that

> Feel free to reply here, mail me privately or ping me (mrevell
> on Freenode).
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

09-26-2008 08:25 AM

Kent Tenney schrieb:
> On the bugs page, possibly a link to a live bug.
> Same idea with other pages, link to a live example when possible.
> The screenshots are fine, but don't offer exploration.

Definitely! I, like many other eager developers, I should think, went
and entered that example bug number on the life LP page. I was
disappointed, of course, to find something completely different. A whole
sample project to use for consistent examples that can be toyed with
might be a good idea.

Henning

"Thor Marius K.H." 09-26-2008 09:13 AM

Improving the Launchpad tour - your input

I agree with Henning, If I were to register a project at Launchpad I would really value some insight into how it feels riding it. What about some kind of sandbox project which is "reset" every second hour / day. A sample project with various bugs, answers, blueprints and so on.
--
Thor Marius K.H
http://nitrolinken.net

Danilo Šegan 09-26-2008 10:20 AM

Improving the Launchpad tour - your input

У пет, 26. 09 2008. у 10:25 +0200, henning@ubuntu.com пише:
> Kent Tenney schrieb:
> > On the bugs page, possibly a link to a live bug.
> > Same idea with other pages, link to a live example when possible.
> > The screenshots are fine, but don't offer exploration.
> >

> Definitely! I, like many other eager developers, I should think, went
> and entered that example bug number on the life LP page. I was
> disappointed, of course, to find something completely different. A whole
> sample project to use for consistent examples that can be toyed with
> might be a good idea.

You can toy with everything on staging.launchpad.net. Maybe that's
where Tour should point at.

Cheers,
Danilo

09-26-2008 11:41 AM

Danilo *egan schrieb:
> You can toy with everything on staging.launchpad.net. Maybe that's
> where Tour should point at.

But staging tends to be unreliable at times. For a first contact with
Launchpad, stumbling unto an unreachable server could really put people off.

Henning

"Matthew Revell" 09-26-2008 01:43 PM

2008/9/25 Kent Tenney <ktenney@gmail.com>:
> A few reactions, inline comments below.
>
> I'd like to see a table of contents for the tour.
> -found it, flashy thing when hovering 'Next'
> - I would like the pages listed on the left, seems to be room

We're going to experiment with different ways of presenting the ToC
and clarifying the purpose of the Next button.

> no 'Prev' equivalent to 'Next', must hover upper 'Next' ...

Yeah, I agree we need a "previous" button. It's on our list of
improvements and I've now filed a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-documentation/+bug/274794

> On the bugs page, possibly a link to a live bug.
> Same idea with other pages, link to a live example when possible.
> The screenshots are fine, but don't offer exploration.

Great idea. Thanks. I've filed a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-documentation/+bug/274795

>> * Have we got the level of detail right? Or are we leaving out
>> chunks of background info?
>
> I think leaving out chunks is appropriate for this, links to detail
> might be enjoyed.

One place we could link to would be the Launchpad user guide. Or do
you think we need specific content for people who are unsure of what a
bug tracker actually does, for example?

>> * Are we talking to the right people? At the moment, it's aimed
>> at experienced free software people. Is that right?
>
> The goal seems "Check out the exciting potential in a couple minutes", which
> can target a broad audience, and it succeeds well with that.

Yeah, that's pretty much the goal :)

>> * Do the images work?
> I think images are as important as words. The tour is definately improved by use
> of images. As images are used more in explanations, we will learn how
> to increase their effectiveness.

Great.

> Of the images in the top pane, I fine the 'Building Community' one to
> be least helpful.

Interesting. My inevitable question is "why?"

>> * How do you reckon we can improve the layout?
>
> Not sure. I like layout reflecting some element of flow, I don't
> recognize a flow element here, but it probably exists.
>
> I'm currently considering flow to consist of workflow, toolchain and timeline.
> I guess each of these elements live in a more detailed
> explanation. This is maybe not so much a guided tour as a promotional
> brochure with snapshots of the scenic locations. As such layout needs only
> to be easy to look at, it is that

The tour, right now, is just a quick way to find out which are the
most exciting features in Launchpad, so we didn't set out to tell a
story that flows. The order of the slides is based on the popularity
of those parts of Launchpad.

Thanks for your input!

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

"Kent Tenney" 09-26-2008 02:20 PM

Improving the Launchpad tour - your input

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@canonical.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/25 Kent Tenney <ktenney@gmail.com>:
>> A few reactions, inline comments below.
>>
>> I'd like to see a table of contents for the tour.
>> -found it, flashy thing when hovering 'Next'
>> - I would like the pages listed on the left, seems to be room
>
> We're going to experiment with different ways of presenting the ToC
> and clarifying the purpose of the Next button.
>
>> no 'Prev' equivalent to 'Next', must hover upper 'Next' ...
>
> Yeah, I agree we need a "previous" button. It's on our list of
> improvements and I've now filed a bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-documentation/+bug/274794
>
>> On the bugs page, possibly a link to a live bug.
>> Same idea with other pages, link to a live example when possible.
>> The screenshots are fine, but don't offer exploration.
>
> Great idea. Thanks. I've filed a bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-documentation/+bug/274795
>
>>> * Have we got the level of detail right? Or are we leaving out
>>> chunks of background info?
>>
>> I think leaving out chunks is appropriate for this, links to detail
>> might be enjoyed.
>
> One place we could link to would be the Launchpad user guide. Or do
> you think we need specific content for people who are unsure of what a
> bug tracker actually does, for example?
>
>>> * Are we talking to the right people? At the moment, it's aimed
>>> at experienced free software people. Is that right?
>>
>> The goal seems "Check out the exciting potential in a couple minutes", which
>> can target a broad audience, and it succeeds well with that.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much the goal :)
>
>>> * Do the images work?
>> I think images are as important as words. The tour is definately improved by use
>> of images. As images are used more in explanations, we will learn how
>> to increase their effectiveness.
>
> Great.
>
>> Of the images in the top pane, I fine the 'Building Community' one to
>> be least helpful.
>
> Interesting. My inevitable question is "why?"

I don't know how to read the images.
Theres a blue 'S' thing, a red diagonal, a bzr logo,
a terminal and a green arrow.

The bzr logo and the terminal have meaning for me, but
the others don't, and I don't understand what is being represented
by the people being associated with the icons.

how I read the others;

1. extreme diversity, virtually endless
2. centralized triage (ah, the blue 'S' is Silva)
3. diversity tamed
4. a gathering to discuss a specific bit
5. translated chunks
6. after learning the Silva logo from 2, and google telling me Silva
is a CMS; makes more sense
I still don't know red diagonal and green arrows, but presumably
they are other communities.
Members of those communities will recognize their logo and see
they are included.

... still not clicking, the text doesn't reinforce that
interpretation. Silva, bzr and green arrow are
primary, red diagonal and terminal are secondary, each is
associated with a group, there is some
overlap, but the people don't seem particularly aware of each other ...
7. a central location provides different groups the resources they need
8. multi-lingual discussions
9. a group reviewing and discussing a whiteboard type thing
10. visualization of timeline