-   -   Please read: moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/161927-please-read-moving-launchpad-users-lists-launchpad-net.html)

"Matthew Revell" 09-17-2008 05:17 PM

Please read: moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net

Hello,

Moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net

In the next week, we're going to start hosting launchpad-users
on Launchpad itself, rather than at lists.canonical.com.

We'll make this move as smooth as possible but you may need to
change your email filtering and perhaps resubscribe to the list.

What we're going to do
in Launchpad.

2. Subscribe all existing launchpad-users subscribers to the new
version of the list.

3. Close the launchpad-users list hosted at lists.canonical.com.

4. Copy the launchpad-users archive to Launchpad and keep the old
archives in place, so as not to break any inbound links.

In the next couple of days I'll send an email to this list giving
you the exact date of when we plan to make the change.

We'll move your subscription for you
your Launchpad account.

To add that address to your account, visit:

https://launchpad.net/people/+me/+editemails

If you don't yet have a Launchpad account, you can create one at:

https://launchpad.net/+login

As soon as you're subscribed to the new version, Launchpad will
send you a welcome email. If you don't receive that email, you
may need to re-subscribe manually. I'll send instructions on how
to do that in my next email.

Changes you'll need to make
----------------------------

After the move, when you want to post to the list you'll need to
send mail to:

launchpad-users@lists.launchpad.net

You may also need to change the rules you use to filter email
from the launchpad-users list. If you presently filter using
email headers, you'll need to update your filters to change
occurrences of "lists.canonical.com" to "lists.launchpad.net".

For example, the List-Id header will change from:

to:

Any questions
next email.

Thanks,

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

"Joey Stanford" 09-25-2008 04:25 PM

Please read: moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net

I added branding today! Thanks for the reminder.

Sarah Hobbs 09-26-2008 02:21 AM

Please read: moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net

Matthew Revell wrote:

When we move launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net, we'll also
move everyone's subscription.

To make this a smooth as possible, you'll need to ensure that
your launchpad-users subscription email address is registered in
your Launchpad account.

Can I ask why this is a mandatory procedure? I, and i'm sure a lot of
other people, subscribe to a different address than what their primary
mail is sent to.

Hobbsee

"Matthew Revell" 09-26-2008 10:17 AM

2008/9/26 Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee@ubuntu.com>:
> Matthew Revell wrote:
>>
>> When we move launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net, we'll also
>> move everyone's subscription.
>>
>> To make this a smooth as possible, you'll need to ensure that
>> your launchpad-users subscription email address is registered in
>> your Launchpad account.
>
> Can I ask why this is a mandatory procedure? I, and i'm sure a lot of other
> people, subscribe to a different address than what their primary mail is
> sent to.

You don't have to use your primary email address for mailing list
subscriptions within Launchpad. You can select whichever of your
registered email addresses for each of the mailing lists you're sub'd
to in LP.

And it's not really mandatory: if you don't want to move your
subscription over then you can unsubscribe from launchpad-users now
and we won't transfer your subscription.

Now that Launchpad can host mailing lists itself, it makes sense for
us to use it to manage mailing lists that are about Launchpad. We aim
to have as much of the Launchpad development process within Launchpad
itself and continue to move things over to LP as and when Launchpad is
ready to host them.

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

"Joey Stanford" 09-26-2008 03:19 PM

Please read: moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net

Sarah,

In other words, we needed your email to ensure we could find your
Launchpad account correctly and add you automatically to the new
launchpad-users team. That, as far as I know, has been done. We're
just waiting on a system admin request to complete before we can
finish the migration.

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 11-23-2008 04:37 PM

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Moving launchpad-users to lists.launchpad.net
get every now on them on this list, which IIUC are caused by the old shipit
requirement of subscribing to this list.

Good luck with the move!

Emilio