Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
"Martin Pool"

Default LP location maps

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> What's the feature that these maps introduce? I have to say that I
> find the user pages more difficult on the eye now, and the map uses up
> quite a lot of vertical space so I have to scroll down more often to
> see information that I'm actually interested in.
>
> It's useful to know a user's location, but we already had that in the
> text version: "Continent/City". I don't really see that the map adds
> anything. Could it be shown on a drop down basis?

It's also shown for teams, and gives some idea of where the members
are in the world,

https://edge.launchpad.net/~bzr

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
"Matthew East"

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> What's the feature that these maps introduce? I have to say that I
>> find the user pages more difficult on the eye now, and the map uses up
>> quite a lot of vertical space so I have to scroll down more often to
>> see information that I'm actually interested in.
>>
>> It's useful to know a user's location, but we already had that in the
>> text version: "Continent/City". I don't really see that the map adds
>> anything. Could it be shown on a drop down basis?
>
> It's also shown for teams, and gives some idea of where the members
> are in the world,

I agree that that's certainly useful.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Martin Pool schrieb:
> It's also shown for teams, and gives some idea of where the members
> are in the world,
>
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~bzr

Now that's funny! My logo picture pops up on the map although I cannot
change it in my profile anymore! I noticed only because it is different
from my mugshot.

Should the map show miniaturised versions of mugshots or should the logo
picture be available on the profile page again?

Henning

Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
"Matthew East"

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Rubén Hubuntu <hubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah... It's awesome. Specially when it comes to groups.

Ruben - I'd be interested in finding out what you find useful about
the map on an individual's page: can you explain in more detail? From
my point of view I really can't see anything that is added at all,
except for clutter.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Curtis Hovey

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 11:10 -0400, Jacob Peddicord wrote:
> Can we really edit *anyone's* location, or is this just a bug?

You can edit someone's location if the location is unset. This allows
someone to update a team. One a user sets/confirm his location, it is
locked. A user may choose to not disclose his location.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Guilherme Salgado

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 11:44 +0200, henning@ubuntu.com wrote:
> Martin Pool schrieb:
> > It's also shown for teams, and gives some idea of where the members
> > are in the world,
> >
> > https://edge.launchpad.net/~bzr
> >

> Now that's funny! My logo picture pops up on the map although I cannot
> change it in my profile anymore! I noticed only because it is different
> from my mugshot.
>
> Should the map show miniaturised versions of mugshots or should the logo
> picture be available on the profile page again?

We haven't decided whether we're going to bring back the option to
change one's logo or use a resized version of the mugshot. You can
follow the discussions about that on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/262739

Cheers,

--
Guilherme Salgado <salgado@canonical.com>

Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Vincent Ladeuil

<snip/>

martin> It's also shown for teams, and gives some idea of where the members
martin> are in the world,

martin> https://edge.launchpad.net/~bzr

Soooo the rumor that many bzr devs were in Australia is without
merits ?

This is a very nice addition, but as others have mentioned using
http://www.openstreetmap.org/ may be nice too.

Vincent

Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Bruce Cowan

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 17:13 +0200, Patrice Vetsel wrote:
> Tom Berger a écrit :
> > 2008/9/1 (``-_-´´) -- Fernando <ubuntu@bugabundo.net>:
> >
> > > When did we get google maps localtions for user profiles?
> > >

> > Last week.
> >

> I would prefer a map using openlayers that let user to choose between
> openstreetmap or google map
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenLayers

Indeed, Launchpad is supposed to promote FOSS, so using a Google map is
retrogressive.
--
Bruce Cowan <bcowan@fastmail.co.uk>

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM