Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
"Jorge O. Castro"

Default Workflow examples?

Hi everyone,

Having been helping some projects use launchpad I've come to realize
that while help.launchpad.net is comprehensive, it's missing something
that I think some developers would find useful - workflow examples. If
you look at bzr they have a nice set of examples here:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Workflows

The help documentation is good at explaining how everything works but
I can't seem to find anything that tells you how it all works together
in one workflow, which is unfortunate since that's Launchpad's biggest
feature. So for example, for gwibber Ryan wanted to retire a branch
and make an existing branch the new "trunk", or "head", or wait, he
didn't know what to call it. So we started digging, and we understand
what a "series" is, but we don't understand how we're supposed to
/use/ series in the context of our project. So we have this feature
sitting there, and no real grasp of how it affects the project, or
what we're really supposed to do with it. lp provides the
infrastructure for people to branch and merge and do code reviews, but
the help is isolated for each one, there needs to be something that
says:

a) Jack publishes branch foo.
b) Jane sees branch, branches it, registers it on launchpad.
c) Jane proposes branch for merge
d) Jack merges branch using cool new web review tool.
e) Joe publishes branch on PPA
f) Jane wants to do another feature and branches it again.

Good news! Each one of these steps already has documentation on how it
works!! - there just needs to be a "best practices" or "New to
launchpad? Try this workflow!" document that ties it all together so
that when people try launchpad they understand what to do during each
step of their development process. Note that some people do things
differently, but a nice example of how people run a well run project
with branching, merging, reviewing, etc I think would be useful.

--
Jorge Castro
jorge (at) ubuntu.com

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On 8/25/08, Jorge O. Castro <jorge@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Having been helping some projects use launchpad I've come to realize
> that while help.launchpad.net is comprehensive, it's missing something
> that I think some developers would find useful - workflow examples. If
> you look at bzr they have a nice set of examples here:
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/Workflows
>
> The help documentation is good at explaining how everything works but
> I can't seem to find anything that tells you how it all works together
> in one workflow, which is unfortunate since that's Launchpad's biggest
> feature. So for example, for gwibber Ryan wanted to retire a branch
> and make an existing branch the new "trunk", or "head", or wait, he
> didn't know what to call it. So we started digging, and we understand
> what a "series" is, but we don't understand how we're supposed to
> /use/ series in the context of our project. So we have this feature
> sitting there, and no real grasp of how it affects the project, or
> what we're really supposed to do with it. lp provides the
> infrastructure for people to branch and merge and do code reviews, but
> the help is isolated for each one, there needs to be something that
> says:
>
> a) Jack publishes branch foo.
> b) Jane sees branch, branches it, registers it on launchpad.
> c) Jane proposes branch for merge
> d) Jack merges branch using cool new web review tool.
> e) Joe publishes branch on PPA
> f) Jane wants to do another feature and branches it again.
>
> Good news! Each one of these steps already has documentation on how it
> works!! - there just needs to be a "best practices" or "New to
> launchpad? Try this workflow!" document that ties it all together so
> that when people try launchpad they understand what to do during each
> step of their development process. Note that some people do things
> differently, but a nice example of how people run a well run project
> with branching, merging, reviewing, etc I think would be useful.
>
> --
> Jorge Castro
> jorge (at) ubuntu.com
> External Project Developer Relations
> Canonical Ltd.

Will teaching launchpad to people I have found the same issue Jorge
has. I tend to explain the workflow since gives people a more
practical/pragmatic way of how the system is used (and its potential
which is what most newcomers miss) and then point to where the
specific bits are explained.

So I +1 Jorge's proposal. Please launchpad documentation team add this
workflow example.

Luis de Bethencourt

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Tim Cook

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 23:51 +0100, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:

> So I +1 Jorge's proposal. Please launchpad documentation team add this
> workflow example.
>
> Luis de Bethencourt

+1

Plus, as I stated in a previous email. Please document how a Milestone
can be tied to a release so they can be used in project planning. If
there isn't already a way to do this then at least a TAG meta-attribute
can be added for a Milestone so they can be associated with a release.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Timothy W. Cook, MSc Health Informatics

Honorary Research Assistant, CHIME, University College London,
London, England, UK