Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
"Shankaranarayanan Subramaniam"

Default Firefox 3.0 blocking soundcard in Ubuntu 7.10 XPS 1330

Hi all,

I have Dell XPS M1330 with Ubuntu 7.10 working fine (no major problems).
I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.0 and I have been having some problems
with the sound card. I tried searching in several Ubuntu forums without
success; hence, this email.

Basically what happens is the following: When I listen to embedded
videos in the net, like for instance, BBC news the video and audio
works fine. Later, when I decide to listen music using xmms then
xmms reports "Your Sound card is blocked by some other application".

Then, I use the following command

> lsof |grep pcm

where it clearly shows that the firefox is still holding the audio device
(even though, I have stopped the BBC video). I then have to kill the process
and then restart the alsa-utils as a root.

I have been observing this pattern for about 2 weeks. Firefox 3.0 have media
related two addons -- Mediaplayer connectivity and Foxtunes. I guessed that
Mediaplayer connectivity and the firefox 3.0 application manager may
be in conflict
and now I have disabled Mediaplayer connectivity.

I did not have any such problem with Firefox 2.0 which I had
used for more than 6 months.

Is there some one out there, who has experienced the same problem
and found a solution?

Thanks,
Shanki

Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
"Henning Eggers"

Shankaranarayanan Subramaniam sagte:
> I have Dell XPS M1330 with Ubuntu 7.10 working fine (no major problems).
> I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.0 and I have been having some problems
> with the sound card. I tried searching in several Ubuntu forums without
> success; hence, this email.

I have the same laptop, Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed, but I upgraded to 8.04
immediately. I have no such problems, maybe you should consider the
upgrade.

Other approach: The laptop is certified hardware and you should have
received toll-free support phone numbers for the Dell Ubuntu support with
the laptop. Contact them, you are entitled to such support. BTW, I checked
with the Dell support before upgrading and they have no problem with that.

Regards,
Henning

Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Christian Robottom Reis

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:32:01PM +0100, Shankaranarayanan Subramaniam wrote:
> I have Dell XPS M1330 with Ubuntu 7.10 working fine (no major problems).
> I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.0 and I have been having some problems
> with the sound card. I tried searching in several Ubuntu forums without
> success; hence, this email.

Well, unfortunately, this isn't the right place to be asking. This list
is for discussing Launchpad itself, and not Ubuntu. I have good news,
though: you can just paste in your question into a new question asked at

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu

and access a great community resource.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125