Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
"Matthew Revell"

Default The road to Launchpad 2.0

Hey guys,

If you've used Launchpad in the past few hours - or if you've been
reading The Register or Ars Technica, amongst other publications -
you've probably noticed that the user-interface changes over the past
couple of weeks have settled into a handsome and more usable evolution
of Launchpad's design.

Joey's posted here before talking about the new UI but I'll give you a
quick recap of what we've done and why:

* Death to the Actions menu: we've started the process of removing
the catch-all Actions menu. It was bad for a couple of reasons but
mostly because it took links away from the data they affected. We've
now moved those links closer to the actual information they deal with.
The other benefit this gives us is that it frees up the left-hand
column, giving more room on the page for the stuff that really
matters.

* New logo: our wonderful new logo, designed by Eugene Tretyak, is now
in place. I love this bold move away from our former logo.

* Simpler to find out where you are: next to that new logo is a trail
of links showing you where you are in Launchpad (if you're involved in
web development, you'll know it as the breadcrumb). This is now much
simpler than the version we had in our previous design.

* Page-wide application tabs: to emphasise the importance of the
effect that switching between applications has on the information
you're viewing on the page, we've made the application tabs much more
prominent.

* New sub-tabs: take a look at your person profile
(https://launchpad.net/people/+me) and you'll see that below the main
application tabs are a second row of tabs that switch between pages of
different information about your activity in Launchpad. These new
sub-tabs appear on many pages and should make it easier to drill down
to the info you want.

There's more to 2.0 and we'll be making the full release soon. At that
time, I'll post a full release announcement. In the mean time, let us
know how you get on with the new UI!

Thanks.

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Martin Pitt

Matthew Revell [2008-07-24 11:41 +0100]:
> * Death to the Actions menu: we've started the process of removing
> the catch-all Actions menu. It was bad for a couple of reasons but
> mostly because it took links away from the data they affected. We've
> now moved those links closer to the actual information they deal with.
> The other benefit this gives us is that it frees up the left-hand
> column, giving more room on the page for the stuff that really
> matters.

In the action menu, the position of a particular entry was predictable
and thus went into muscle memory. The most problematic impact of this
change for me is that many knobs are now scattered around the page, on
varying positions, so it takes me considerably longer to find
something. There was a long discussion about "add subscriber", and it
has been fixed (thanks!), but e. g. the "update description/tags" on
bug pages is still hard to find and needs scrolling on bugs with long
descriptions.

Otherwise it looks fairly lean now, I like it (except for the broken
button graphics, but I guess you'll get to that).

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
"David Allouche"

If you've used Launchpad in the past few hours - or if you've been

reading The Register or Ars Technica, amongst other publications -

you've probably noticed that the user-interface changes over the past

couple of weeks have settled into a handsome and more usable evolution

of Launchpad's design.
The grumpy frenchman says: it's lovely.

I did get confused a couple of times by the change to the subtask design, but once I switched back to discovery mode I was very easy to figure out.

Just give mpt a hefty stick to beat people who will try to abuse it ("We really really subsubsubtask for this app, really!") and it will be fine. Oops, was I just grumpy again?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Matt Zimmerman

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 01:04:29PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> In the action menu, the position of a particular entry was predictable
> and thus went into muscle memory. The most problematic impact of this
> change for me is that many knobs are now scattered around the page, on
> varying positions, so it takes me considerably longer to find
> something. There was a long discussion about "add subscriber", and it
> has been fixed (thanks!), but e. g. the "update description/tags" on
> bug pages is still hard to find and needs scrolling on bugs with long
> descriptions.

There is a (non-obvious) yellow button next to the description which does
the same thing as update description/tags.

--
- mdz

Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Martin Pitt

Matt Zimmerman [2008-07-27 19:41 +0100]:
> There is a (non-obvious) yellow button next to the description which does
> the same thing as update description/tags.

Ah, took me a while to find it. For the record, it is right next to
the big red bug title.

Thanks!

Martin
--