Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 AM
"Michael B. Trausch"

Default Question rejected PPA upload

I attempted to upload Pidgin 2.4.3 to a PPA and received the following
mail back from Launchpad:

Rejected:
Unable to identify file pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.bz2 (net) in changes.
Further error processing not possible because of a critical previous
error.

I then attempted to upload it again, using a .tar.gz file, and got the
following back:

Rejected:
MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
verification.

The .orig.tar.bz2 was the pristine sources from upstream from the 2.4.3
release. When I made it a .gz, all I did was unpack the .bz2 and repack
it as a .gz. Whatever, I figure.

So, I did a 'debuild -S -sd', so that it'd only upload my .dsc
and .diff.gz file. Then, I got this:

Rejected:
MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
verification.

What I don't understand is _why_. At this point, the only files that
are listed are:

Files:
dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122 1574 net optional
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de 60049 net optional
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz

These are correct, according to my system:
mbt@zest:/srv/development/ubuntu/pidgin$ md5sum pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz
dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122 pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz

The only thing that would seem to be left is that the md5sum of
pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.gz would be different in the .dsc than it is in
the Intrepid archive. What I _don't_ understand is how that can be the
case, assuming that the one in the Intrepid archive is also from
pristine sources and compressed using the default gzip options.
Regardless, when I included the .orig.tar.gz file in my second upload,
why did it not take it then? The md5sum in the .dsc matched the file I
provided, so I am confused.

So, two questions, then:

1. If I am using upstream sources, and (presumably) the Ubuntu archive
is, too, then what happened to one/the other/both that made them
not match up?
2. Why was the original attempt, including a .tar.bz2 file, rejected?
The archive is _significantly_ smaller as a .bz2 compressed archive
as opposed to a .gz compressed one (4 MiB less), wouldn't that be
preferred?

Thanks,
Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM
"Celso Providelo"

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike@trausch.us> wrote:
> I attempted to upload Pidgin 2.4.3 to a PPA and received the following
> mail back from Launchpad:
>
> Rejected:
> Unable to identify file pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.bz2 (net) in changes.
> Further error processing not possible because of a critical previous
> error.
>
> I then attempted to upload it again, using a .tar.gz file, and got the
> following back:
>
> Rejected:
> MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
> Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
> verification.
>
> The .orig.tar.bz2 was the pristine sources from upstream from the 2.4.3
> release. When I made it a .gz, all I did was unpack the .bz2 and repack
> it as a .gz. Whatever, I figure.
>
> So, I did a 'debuild -S -sd', so that it'd only upload my .dsc
> and .diff.gz file. Then, I got this:
>
> Rejected:
> MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
> Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
> verification.
>
> What I don't understand is _why_. At this point, the only files that
> are listed are:
>
> Files:
> dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122 1574 net optional
> pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
> 94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de 60049 net optional
> pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz
>
> These are correct, according to my system:
> mbt@zest:/srv/development/ubuntu/pidgin$ md5sum pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
> pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz
> dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122 pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
> 94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz
>
> The only thing that would seem to be left is that the md5sum of
> pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.gz would be different in the .dsc than it is in
> the Intrepid archive. What I _don't_ understand is how that can be the
> case, assuming that the one in the Intrepid archive is also from
> pristine sources and compressed using the default gzip options.
> Regardless, when I included the .orig.tar.gz file in my second upload,
> why did it not take it then? The md5sum in the .dsc matched the file I
> provided, so I am confused.

Hi, Michael.

> So, two questions, then:
>
> 1. If I am using upstream sources, and (presumably) the Ubuntu archive
> is, too, then what happened to one/the other/both that made them
> not match up?

Repacking the *same* content using gzip will generate a different file.

Mainly because gzip includes a timestamp in its header [1].

So, your DSC is requesting a existing file with a different content.
Even when you include your *new* orig in the upload the system should
not allow you to introduce this filename conflict because it will
cause archive inconsistencies in subsequent uploads.

The right move then, is to download the ubuntu orig.tar.gz, instead of
repacking the upstream source again for the upload.

> 2. Why was the original attempt, including a .tar.bz2 file, rejected?
> The archive is _significantly_ smaller as a .bz2 compressed archive
> as opposed to a .gz compressed one (4 MiB less), wouldn't that be
> preferred?

Bzip2 upstream tarballs support is requested in
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/225151, it will be
implemented very soon due to the obvious advantages, it's more
size-efficient and doesn't have a timestamp in its header <wink> [2].

Get subscribed to the bug if you are interested.

Thanks for using Launchpad PPAs and for improving pidgin!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gzip
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bzip2

--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@canonical.com>
IRC: cprov, Jabber: cprov@jabber.org, Skype: cprovidelo

Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Michael Bienia

On 2008-07-12 03:46:10 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> I attempted to upload Pidgin 2.4.3 to a PPA and received the following
> mail back from Launchpad:
>
> Rejected:
> Unable to identify file pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.bz2 (net) in changes.
> Further error processing not possible because of a critical previous
> error.

The current source packages only supports .orig.tar.gz. There are plans
in Debian for an updated source package format which also accepts
.orig.tar.bz2 but I don't know when it gets ready.

> I then attempted to upload it again, using a .tar.gz file, and got the
> following back:
>
> Rejected:
> MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
> Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
> verification.
>
> The .orig.tar.bz2 was the pristine sources from upstream from the 2.4.3
> release. When I made it a .gz, all I did was unpack the .bz2 and repack
> it as a .gz. Whatever, I figure.

IIRC gzip also includes a timestamp in it's header. So even if you take
the same file you will get each time a different gzip file (different
md5sum).

> So, I did a 'debuild -S -sd', so that it'd only upload my .dsc
> and .diff.gz file. Then, I got this:
>
> Rejected:
> MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
> Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
> verification.

The .dsc file references the .orig.tar.gz and the .diff.gz.
And the md5sum of the .orig.tar.gz in intrepid didn't match the one
listed in your .dsc file.

I don't know the reason for it but PPA apparently always prefers the
.orig.tar.gz from the official Ubuntu archive to the one you upload (if
the versions are the same).

If you get the next time a error about a md5sum mismatch, check if the
release you want to upload already contains the same upstream version of
the package and use that .orig.tar.gz to build your package.

Michael