FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Launchpad User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
> is now on the left? Was there usability testing done that suggested
> this change? What other reasons behind this?

Eh? They're all on the right now, which is odd, I think, because
navigation menus usually go on the left for English-language things,
since English starts on the left.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Mathias Florian Menzer
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

Hi all!

> So what we're trying on edge.launchpad.net is putting the boxes on the right.

I also must admit, that the Boxes on the right are sort of a problem to
me. I think that at least this should be reconsidered.

--
Greetings

Mathias [[mfmenzer]]
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
"Joey Stanford"
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

Hi Folks,

We recorded a podcast yesterday which talks about the UI changes
happening on edge and soon in production.

If you're interested in these changes, please have a listen.

http://news.launchpad.net/

Joey

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Joey Stanford <joey@canonical.com> wrote:
> Beta Testers:
>
> Beginning this weekend we're are going to be making some potentially
> disruptive changes to edge's UI. A lot of what you will see
> initially will be polished over several releases.
>
> As a reminder, to disable redirection to edge, you can go to
> https://launchpad.net and click on the "disable redirection for 2
> hours" button at the top of the page.
>
> Joey
>

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mackenzie Morgan wrote on 08/07/08 10:15:
>
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>>
>> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
>> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
>> is now on the left? Was there usability testing done that suggested
>> this change? What other reasons behind this?
>
> Eh? They're all on the right now,

As I understand it, Jonathan is talking about the "Summary" section on
the page for a person <https://edge.launchpad.net/~jjesse>. This used to
be on the right of a page, but (on edge) is now near the center.

> which is odd, I think, because
> navigation menus usually go on the left for English-language things,
> since English starts on the left.
>...

That is true for Web sites with vertical global navigation menus.
However, Launchpad has no vertical global navigation menus.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIdNa06PUxNfU6ecoRAg5UAJ9zfjAgdxFLrU2ZFgQ8g5 ig8Qr/DgCbBTi9
QQniqce1eG/+ZPwOkRUR01Q=
=qA04
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Curtis Hovey
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 16:18 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Mackenzie Morgan wrote on 08/07/08 10:15:
> >
> > On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> >>
> >> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
> >> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
> >> is now on the left? Was there usability testing done that suggested
> >> this change? What other reasons behind this?
> >
> > Eh? They're all on the right now,
>
> As I understand it, Jonathan is talking about the "Summary" section on
> the page for a person <https://edge.launchpad.net/~jjesse>. This used to
> be on the right of a page, but (on edge) is now near the center.
>
> > which is odd, I think, because
> > navigation menus usually go on the left for English-language things,
> > since English starts on the left.
> >...
>
> That is true for Web sites with vertical global navigation menus.
> However, Launchpad has no vertical global navigation menus.

The inverted-L is often a better page layout for navigation when used
with left-to-right-top-to-bottom languages like English. The navigation
exists to take the user away from the page. The user needs to see the
page content /before/ judging he needs to navigate to another page.

The upside-down-L navigation layout is very good for sites that are:

* Poorly organized.
* Do a bad job of setting the user's expectations about the content
of a linked page.

To say it another way, this form of page design is often well suited to
sites that expect the user to be lost with every page he visits.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Kjell Braden
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Fr, 2008-07-04 at 13:46 -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:
> Beta Testers:
>
> Beginning this weekend we're are going to be making some potentially
> disruptive changes to edge's UI. A lot of what you will see
> initially will be polished over several releases.
>
> As a reminder, to disable redirection to edge, you can go to
> https://launchpad.net and click on the "disable redirection for 2
> hours" button at the top of the page.
>
> Joey
>

I'd like to see the possibility for users to choose whether they want to
see an "action" menu on the bug pages: I hate the fact that I have to
search the whole page for whatever I want to do. (In case someone
complained about that before, feel free to point me to the discussion)

Thanks,
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@canonical.com> wrote:


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mackenzie Morgan wrote on 08/07/08 10:15:

>
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>>
>> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
>> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc

>> is now on the left? *Was there usability testing done that suggested
>> this change? *What other reasons behind this?
>
> Eh? *They're all on the right now,

As I understand it, Jonathan is talking about the "Summary" section on

the page for a person <https://edge.launchpad.net/~jjesse>. This used to
be on the right of a page, but (on edge) is now near the center.


> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *which is odd, I think, because

Actually Matthew what I'm talking about is the whole Karma Summary, Email Address, Change Branding, etc that is now on the left of the section.* It is a very very big change to be used to navigate from one location and now have that switched.

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@canonical.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> Mackenzie Morgan wrote on 08/07/08 10:15:
>> >
>> > On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
>> >> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
>> >> is now on the left? Was there usability testing done that suggested
>> >> this change? What other reasons behind this?
>> >
>> > Eh? They're all on the right now,
>>
>> As I understand it, Jonathan is talking about the "Summary" section on
>> the page for a person <https://edge.launchpad.net/~jjesse>. This used to
>> be on the right of a page, but (on edge) is now near the center.
>>
>> > which is odd, I think, because
>
> Actually Matthew what I'm talking about is the whole Karma Summary, Email
> Address, Change Branding, etc that is now on the left of the section. It is
> a very very big change to be used to navigate from one location and now have
> that switched.

But that stuff's all on the right now, not the left. It used to be on
the left...

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff
apt-get moo

--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:




On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@canonical.com>

> wrote:
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> Mackenzie Morgan wrote on 08/07/08 10:15:
>> >
>> > On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:30 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

>> >>
>> >> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
>> >> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
>> >> is now on the left? *Was there usability testing done that suggested

>> >> this change? *What other reasons behind this?
>> >
>> > Eh? *They're all on the right now,
>>
>> As I understand it, Jonathan is talking about the "Summary" section on

>> the page for a person <https://edge.launchpad.net/~jjesse>. This used to
>> be on the right of a page, but (on edge) is now near the center.

>>
>> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *which is odd, I think, because
>
> Actually Matthew what I'm talking about is the whole Karma Summary, Email
> Address, Change Branding, etc that is now on the left of the section. *It is

> a very very big change to be used to navigate from one location and now have
> that switched.

But that stuff's all on the right now, not the left. *It used to be on
the left...


--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff
apt-get moo


That's what I meant, lack of sleep from a newborn and all that...
--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Sarah Hobbs
 
Default Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

Kjell Braden wrote:

I'd like to see the possibility for users to choose whether they want to
see an "action" menu on the bug pages: I hate the fact that I have to
search the whole page for whatever I want to do. (In case someone
complained about that before, feel free to point me to the discussion)



Try quitting the beta team. I know others have done so for similar
reasons (pages consistently changing, having to remove 'edge.' from all
URL's given, etc).


I doubt it's very hard to get back on it again, when the UI stabilizes?

Hobbsee


--
launchpad-users mailing list
launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org