Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Adi Roiban

Default translation using LP vs upstream (was: Calling translators for BillReminder)

Īn data de Mi, 02-07-2008 la 15:53 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein a scris:
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2008, 08:48 +0200 schrieb Henning Eggers:
[snip]
> Launchpad wants to enforce a model that does not fit the needs of the
> German translation team. But I already wrote about it in length, see
> ubuntu-translators list.
>
> I would favour to forbid making suggestions without getting into contact
> with us before.

Unfortunately for Romanian we don't have to much upstream translation
work.
Also many upstream translations have a very bad quality and they are
accepted because upstream developers don't know Romanian.

>From our point of view (Romanian translators) Launchpad is an excellent
tool and by using it we can increase our productivity and quality.

For example the GNOME translation coordinator for Romania was very busy
with personal problems and in the last couple months there were no
translation updates. Right now there are important differences between
the GNOME translation from Ubuntu and Fedora.

I know that many people are not happy with the fact that translations
are done in LP and not upstream but in many cases it is much more easier
to translate and assure the quality in LP than accepting translation
upstream without knowing who and how did that translations.

You can always export translation from LP and merge them into the
upstream project. I tried sending them to various project, including
GNOME and I'm still resending email asking for the upstream developers
to accept the translations.

I don't know the situation for other languages but at least for
Romanian, using LP was a great improvement.
Thank you guys for creating Rosetta!

--
Adi Roiban